Zinc - My Miracle For Acne & Estrogen Dominance

OP
Peata

Peata

I have calcium d-glucarate on the way. I plan to take 500 mg. daily. I'm going to ease back on the zinc when I start the CDG. Hopefully the CDG helps enough that I can just get my zinc through food, or supplement at a much lower dose than I am now.

I was looking into vitex briefly, but think I'll just use CDG and see how that goes for a while.

loess

Ari said:
Also I hate to say it but i'm not a huge fan of coffee. I tend to drink it medicinally instead of as a beverage.

I don't do coffee either. I never got into drinking it and admittedly got sort of put off at a young age by some people in my life who were excessively elitist about the whole coffee culture. Silly I know, I'll probably give coffee a shot again at some point especially now that I understand the biomechanics of it. I do love coffee ice cream though!

I like drinking chaga mushroom tea when I eat liver or meat. Chaga is rich in polyphenols just like coffee, and if I'm not mistaken the polyphenols are the mechanisms in coffee that blocks iron absorption.

OP
Peata

Peata

Change of plan - I actually started Vitex yesterday. It's said to raise progesterone and reduce prolactin.

Supplementing 100 mg. zinc daily now that I seem to be through the worst of the pre-menstrual acne. Will reduce at some point.

jyb

I find that eating a small number of oysters over a few days is better than a lot in a single meal. Since opening oysters can be tedious, it'd be easier to spend 30mins and take them out, place in salted water (so that it keeps longer) and store in fridge. I assume it'd keep for a few days safely, what do you think?

OP
Peata

Peata

JYB, I have no idea. I've only fixed oysters like that once and cooked them all right away. I just used canned otherwise. Hopefully someone will answer for you.

I've cut way back on my zinc lately. I lost my craving for oysters about a week ago, and took that as a sign I'm topped up on the zinc finally. I am still taking 25 mg. daily, where at times I was taking almost 200 mg.

I decided not to take Vitex right now, but am taking Calcium d-glucarate to get rid of excess estrogen and toxins.

HDD

jyb said:
I find that eating a small number of oysters over a few days is better than a lot in a single meal. Since opening oysters can be tedious, it'd be easier to spend 30mins and take them out, place in salted water (so that it keeps longer) and store in fridge. I assume it'd keep for a few days safely, what do you think?

This is a good site on keeping oysters.

How long can I keep shucked (shells removed) shellfish?
Temperatures below 35°F will minimize bacterial growth and help shucked shellfish stay fresh longer, usually 4 to 7 days or by the "use by" date printed on containers. Refrigerator temperatures greater than 40°F will decrease shelf life.

http://safeoysters.org/consumers/storing.html

OP
Peata

Peata

Kelly said:
Will you let us know how it goes with the Calcium d-glucarate?

Yes. My zinc experiment is basically over, I think, so not sure if I'll have a lot more to say in this thread. I will likely keep taking it in low doses but want to work on my hormones in a different way now. I do most of my updating here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1826

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Didn't take zinc, or eat oysters for a couple days and here come the big zits. Ugggggh. Do I literally have to eat oysters everyday???? :?

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Didn't take zinc, or eat oysters for a couple days and here come the big zits. Ugggggh. Do I literally have to eat oysters everyday???? :?

That's why I had to supplement, there was just no way I could eat that many oysters everyday to get what I needed.

OP
Peata

Peata

Since I lost my craving for oysters, I cut back on the zinc supplementing - took it as a sign I didn't need as much anymore.

I've been looking into other mineral deficiencies that go along with PCOS, and saw that magnesium is recommended. I have mostly been focusing on calcium. So I decided not to worry so much about that (other than try to keep a good balance with phosphorus) and focus on supplementing magnesium. Also saw recommendations about the B vitamins, Vitamin E, others.

I thought it being just a nutritional issue seemed too simple, but now that I have been Peat'g, I see how much really is nutrition - it's astounding. Plus seeing how the zinc was able to help, but it was not enough during some of my worst pre-menstrual times.

So, I stopped the mega doses of zinc except for 25 mg. now and then. I take magnesium daily, also B1, B3, B6, bits of Benadryl throughout day, aspirin only when I feel like I need it for my back or neck, 1 or 2 capsules of Unique E, Magnesium, and have been using Progest-E since about halfway through cycle. I've been taking 500 mg. calcium d-glucarate 3 - 5x day, but I'll be running out of that soon and don't think I need to re-order. I believe the other supplements are helping keep the estrogen down too.

Anyway, I have three places just under my jaw (pretty much hidden) but other than that, things are looking good. Normally at this time I would have hormonal breakouts in many places. Even my chest is virtually clear. Will see how it goes in the next week and a half.

OP
Peata

Peata

And I don't know whether I mentioned it, but after one pill I decided not to take Vitex after all. I wanted to try to treat this nutritionally with vitamins and minerals if possible before I went to Vitex.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
Charlie said:

That's why I had to supplement, there was just no way I could eat that many oysters everyday to get what I needed.
Are you successful now with keeping the acne away?

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata said:
Charlie said:

Are you successful now with keeping the acne away?

I currently have a few large pimples in a cluster under my right jaw, but other than that, looking pretty clear. I'm in second half of cycle though when things tend to explode, so the next week and a half will be the true test.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Still doing the 25mg zinc a day?

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Still doing the 25mg zinc a day?

Maybe every other day now. I think I got my levels up enough with the high doses I was on for so many weeks.

But now I see there were other nutrients at play too, not just zinc alone. I think getting the level up helped, but wasn't the whole piece of the puzzle.

OP
Peata

Peata

This stuff can get so tricky. I've read of other people being completely clear all the time with zinc alone. I think I just had too many deficiencies I didn't even realize. I read something today from RP and now I can't remember where I saw it, and I'm phrasing it very loosely, but it was about how malfunction, especially longterm (from whatever) can cause an organ or system to change and then require more of a substance (say, a vitamin or mineral) than it normally would to function properly again.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
This stuff can get so tricky. I've read of other people being completely clear all the time with zinc alone. I think I just had too many deficiencies I didn't even realize. I read something today from RP and now I can't remember where I saw it, and I'm phrasing it very loosely, but it was about how malfunction, especially longterm (from whatever) can cause an organ or system to change and then require more of a substance (say, a vitamin or mineral) than it normally would to function properly again.
I read something like that about a week ago that Peat basically said that some of us are so messed up, that it would take unphysiological doses of certain nutrients/vitamins to get the job done. Meaning some us us might need much bigger doses then others. I feel like I could eat liver and oysters every single day and still not get enough. :lol:

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata said:
I read something like that about a week ago that Peat basically said that some of us are so messed up, that it would take unphysiological doses of certain nutrients/vitamins to get the job done. Meaning some us us might need much bigger doses then others. I feel like I could eat liver and oysters every single day and still not get enough. :lol:

That's how I felt too. I would eat a can of oysters and still feel I needed tons of zinc supplement.

I'm pretty hopeful with my current regimen, as not only am I feeling good and looking better, but have lost a big of weight I haven't been able to lose for about a year. Sleep is great, motivation/energy is up. After going through a bad patch of anxiety last week due to a life circumstance, I am now able to feel more relaxed and overall calmer. I think the only thing that saved me through that was keeping the nutrition up to the best of my ability - even when I didn't feel like eating I would get some OJ if nothing else.

asajulian

Something to keep in mind as well, if you are overdosing on thyroid medication (like I have and likely many on this forum!), this will cause more zinc to be excreted. There are studies you can look at if you search google.

I take NOW foods zinc picolinate (with copper along with it) and it is right up there with Vitamin A as the most effective supplements. I can eat almost anything with no digestive problems with the combination of these two.