Zinc - My Miracle For Acne & Estrogen Dominance

Swandattur

I don't have a problem with acne, but it's interesting any time someone gets such clear results from something they are doing. Glad you are posting about this!

OP
Peata

Peata

I haven't had a cyst in days. Normally I'd have at least one new one per day, or if not a new one, then the ones I had would sit there all inflamed, painful, looking awful.

I'm getting a smallish pimple here and there, but that I can deal with. Overall, my skin feels smoother, soft, normalized as far as oil, and no inflamed painful bumps.

Swandattur

That is great! I remember that my Vietnamese sister (parents sponsored her after the Vietnam War) developed acne problems when she came to this country. Probably it was due to all the stress of leaving her family and country under those kind of conditions, plus the strange food. It eventually cleared up, but left a little scarring. She lived at a camp until she could be transferred to live with us. We were enthusiastic and caring sponsorers, and she had a lot of spunk, but it must have been quite an adjustment for her.

lovelife

Update: Well it's been two days since I've been experimenting and so far no noticeable results. But, I started much lower in the dosing than Peata I believe. Yesterday I had 50 mg and today I've had about 75. So, I'm still much lower than you have been. I haven't noticed any healing yet and I got a new cystic zit today. So, tomorrow I'll up it to 100mg and see how that goes. I don't want to overdue it as I don't have any copper right now so I don't want to lower my copper too low. I know the upper limit is supposedly 40 mg for an adult female... so I'm easily surpassing that which I don't want to get too carried away with. So, I'm trying to go slow for now. Don't feel bad at all or any different really so I think I'm ok for now.

After a few more days I'll update again. If I don't get any results and I get to about 200mg then I think I'll stop going super high in dosing and just go back to my regular of about 50mg every few days. Hopefully I get results... that would be awesome. :)

OP
Peata

Peata

Just to clarify, only twice since I started have I taken more than 50mg. per day of zinc from a supplement. The rest of it has been filled in with zinc-rich foods, usually oysters.

OP
Peata

Peata

lovelife, are you using cronometer or another tracking program to make sure you're getting all the nutrients? As I said, I keep track of mine and make sure I'm eating liver once per week, oysters, and other Peaty nutritious foods to get vitamin A, copper and everything else. I do supplement with some E, magnesium oil, but I think that's it except for the zinc.

Hope you see success.

OP
Peata

Peata

Ice Cream

I ran into my first snag since I started with Zinc.

Ice cream.

I ate probably 12 - 16 oz. last night. First I had about 1 cup because I had been feeling stressed and that calmed me wonderfully. Then I decided I wanted to extend that, or intensify it, whatever. Maybe I just wanted more ice cream. So I had more.

I woke up this morning with a painful pimple on my left jawline and my first cyst on the right side of chin near jawline. It was a big, painful lump under skin. And that was with a total of 170 mg. zinc yesterday from a supplement and food.

I took 25 mg. zinc. this morning after finding the acne. Now, a couple hours later, the pimple has calmed and the cyst has shrunk to where I almost can't find it, and it's barely sore when I touch it.

Ice cream. From my experience a couple nights ago, I think I can have about 1 c. per day with the zinc and not get inflamed. But if I go by last night's experience, more than 1 c. looks like a problem.

OP
Peata

Peata

No problems with cysts and other dairy, btw. I drink 1% milk, cups of it daily. I use some cheese and other dairy here and there.

Something about large amounts of ice cream.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe all the fat, from the cream? Messes with metab somehow? Just speculating...

Ari

I have problems with ice cream as well. I've since stopped eating it. My best guess was the added sugar that they throw in. I seem to react negatively to anything with pure sugar thrown in. Fruit and honey give me no problems at all, but as soon as I sweeten something with sugar, rock candy, or eat something like ice cream, I have small problems.

Just my best guess, might be completely wrong.

As far as the zinc goes, I had high doses 2 days in a row (from oysters), and today being the third day, my body is telling me to calm down and not eat more. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow. But my hair feels smoother, like silk or something. Pretty cool.

lovelife

Peata said:
lovelife, are you using cronometer or another tracking program to make sure you're getting all the nutrients? As I said, I keep track of mine and make sure I'm eating liver once per week, oysters, and other Peaty nutritious foods to get vitamin A, copper and everything else. I do supplement with some E, magnesium oil, but I think that's it except for the zinc.

Hope you see success.

Thanks Peata. :)

Update #2: So, I believe it's been 2 more days since my last update. And wouldn't you know that the morning after I write that post I wake up and my face is drastically better. All of the cystic acne was calmed down and finally drying up/going away. I had a few regular zits that were still hanging around, but they had all come to a head/the surface. It's about the time last month when I started getting it really bad on my jawline and so far I only have a tiny bump that I'm not sure will even show up. I did eat some gluten recently so that is probably what's going on with the front of my face, but I'm looking more for getting rid of the cystic acne which seemed to be cycle based and with dairy use. I'm drink more and more milk though so I'm hoping I can get a handle on it and it'll all be fine. Yesterday I had 100mg I think... and the day before that I had 75mg. Today I've had 25mg so far, but I'll probably be around 75mg by the end of the day.. we'll see though.

I only sometimes track in cronometer... but I usually have about 15-20 mg from food. I have been taking my Vit A 8,000IU the last couple days as well. I'm usually sporadic on that.. but I'm thinking that it seems to be working better now that I'm upping the Zinc. But, I'm not positive. My nails are doing great though. :)

I don't have money for oysters.. and though I might be able to afford 1-2 cans of them over a 14 day period.. I don't really know how to eat them like that and it sounds pretty nasty tbh. LOL. I haven't been eating liver though I do have it. I just REALLY hate liver and can only swallow frozen pieces like pill sized.. and that takes forever. When I have money for some more ground beef I will see about mixing it together as I dont mind that usually.

I also have Vit E that I take on occasion or use the oil. I take D3 as well of course.

So, it seems to be going well. I haven't noticed any symptoms of low copper or high zinc from it so far.. I've been paying attention.. I don't think I"ll keep this high doses for too long.. I'm thinking maybe I just needed to replenish my stores or something... and then maybe things will get better. But I do think that I might need to always take higher doses of Zinc as even as a teen when I was extremely healthy with an excellent metabolism I needed to zinc supplement. Like I said though I have some genetic stuff that may predispose me to high copper and if that's the case then it would make sense that my zinc stores would be lower than normal since they oppose each other.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes I know zinc supplementing is not totally Peaty but does anyone know of the best one to take if you did want to supplement?

OP
Peata

Peata

lovelife, I'm glad to hear it's working for you. I'm with you, I think I have to replenish my stores and then maybe I can get by with food-zinc alone. That's what RP said too: Once the body's stores are replenished, they can probably be replenished with natural foods.

But also like you, I may always have to take a little extra. Will just have to see how it goes.

Wilfrid

Charlie said:
Yes I know zinc supplementing is not totally Peaty but does anyone know of the best one to take if you did want to supplement?

Ray recommends me either zinc sulfate or zinc gluconate.
10mg and no more than two weeks as it should be enough to correct any deficiency.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata, how is the zinc supplementing going? Thinking about ordering some tonight.

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata, how is the zinc supplementing going? Thinking about ordering some tonight.

Still going fine. The "ice cream cyst" that started to form was a huge sucker under my skin, but after I took zinc, it started shrinking away as I described before. It formed into two large pimples that hung around, never came to a head, and are just now shrinking away starting this morning.

I haven't been taking as much zinc lately though.

No problems with it - no signs of toxicity, no stomach issues.

lovelife

Update #3: Zinc is a miracle!! LOL. Seriously though things have been going well. Yesterday I only took about 50 mg while day before I took 75mg again. I'm usually still getting about 15-20 mg/day from food as well. I am taking my Vit A with it now and I think that is helping somewhat too.

My face isn't completely clear, but I haven't had any new breakouts for a few days now. Most of my previous cystic ones and regular zits are mostly gone now. They're still visible, but healing nicely.

Another possible thing that may be more of a coincidence.... is for the last 2 months I think I had a cyst on my ovary. I've never been diagnosed with PCOS as I don't have most of the normal symptoms and my cycle has always been consistent though at a shorter time frame at about 25 days. I have had a cyst before when I was about 16-17. Anyways, it felt like there was one, but so far nothing this month. Now that can easily be coincidence as it might of just disappeared on it's own. But my acne has followed my cycle for awhile now so who knows. :)

I have about 2-3 more wks to go and then I will have completed and entire cycle with this zinc supplementing. So, I hope it keeps working and if all goes well then I will start cutting back some to see what happens.

Still no side effects that I've noticed. Only thing is if I take it on an emptyish stomach then it can cause queasiness... but that's a normal side effect.

Thanks Peata! This has been so helpful. :)

Violet

Just throwing in my two cents: A few years ago I had adult acne. Started supplmenting zinc (maybe 40mgs per day) and voila! Acne gone :) I still got one cyst a month at my period, but other than that, my adult acne was over.

My little brother was the one who got me on to it: he had acne on his forehead, starting supping zinc, and it disappeared. He told a friend of his about it, the friend started supping, and his spots vanished too.

Zinc is one of the building blocks required for progesterone production, so I assumed it had something to do with this.

Gotta buy more oysters... :)

loess

Today I picked up a small vial of Trace Minerals Ionic Zinc to keep on hand for when I can't get shellfish. It is a liquid form that looks pretty safe and also contains copper gluconate.