Zinc Acts Similar To Tianeptine And Blocks SSRI Drug Effects

haidut

Forum Supporter
Basically, the study says that zinc increases serotonin uptake, making it a "SERT" drug acting in a manner opposite to SSRI drugs. The study even compared zinc effects to some well-known SSRI drugs.
I thought that was pretty cool, and a possible alternative for people with no access to tianeptine or other SERT drugs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15723351

Vinero

Interesting. Would the zinc in regular zinc-high foods like red-meat be enough for this effect you think?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Re: Zinc acts similar to tianeptine and blocks SSRI drug eff

Vinero said:
Interesting. Would the zinc in regular zinc-high foods like red-meat be enough for this effect you think?

This study says that 11mg of elemental zinc (from zinc gluconate) for 8 weeks achieved concentration of 0.6 microM in humans.

http://www.medsci.org/v10p0079.htm

The study on zinc effects on serotonin above says that the optimal concentration for increasing serotonin uptake was 1 microM. This mean that taking 20mg-30mg of elemental zinc (from zinc gluconate) should be ale to achieve the 1 microM concentration needed for effects similar to tianeptine. This is not too high and obtainable easily from food. Incidentally, 30mg of elemental zinc was the dosage in an old study used to lower prolactin. Given that serotonin and prolactin go hand in hand I wonder if these findings are related. Namely, does zinc lower prolactin indirectly by lowering plasma serotonin as discussed in the study above, or does zinc lower plasma serotonin indirectly by lowering prolactin?

Parsifal

This study says that 11mg of elemental zinc (from zinc gluconate) for 8 weeks achieved concentration of 0.6 microM in humans.

Effects of Zinc Supplementation on Plasma Copper/Zinc Ratios, Oxidative Stress, and Immunological Status in Hemodialysis Patients

The study on zinc effects on serotonin above says that the optimal concentration for increasing serotonin uptake was 1 microM. This mean that taking 20mg-30mg of elemental zinc (from zinc gluconate) should be ale to achieve the 1 microM concentration needed for effects similar to tianeptine. This is not too high and obtainable easily from food. Incidentally, 30mg of elemental zinc was the dosage in an old study used to lower prolactin. Given that serotonin and prolactin go hand in hand I wonder if these findings are related. Namely, does zinc lower prolactin indirectly by lowering plasma serotonin as discussed in the study above, or does zinc lower plasma serotonin indirectly by lowering prolactin?

The only way to get that much from food seems to eat food also rich in iron, no?

Elephanto

Effects of Zinc Supplementation on Plasma Copper/Zinc Ratios, Oxidative Stress, and Immunological Status in Hemodialysis Patients

Zinc increases dopamine in an obvious manner, as you know dopamine inhibits serotonin synthesis and therefore prolactin.

lindsay

The question is, is there a zinc supplement that doesn't cause stomach discomfort and constipation? Based on my experiences with Zicam, zinc is a major constipator. Is there such a thing as an anti-serotonin substance that doesn't do this?

Parsifal

The question is, is there a zinc supplement that doesn't cause stomach discomfort and constipation? Based on my experiences with Zicam, zinc is a major constipator. Is there such a thing as an anti-serotonin substance that doesn't do this?
Most zinc supplements come with a lot of bad excipients. I've bought a pure powder so will tell you if I tolerate it well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals