Zinc Acts Similar To Tianeptine And Blocks SSRI Drug Effects

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Mar 14, 2014.

1. haidut

haidut Member

Basically, the study says that zinc increases serotonin uptake, making it a "SERT" drug acting in a manner opposite to SSRI drugs. The study even compared zinc effects to some well-known SSRI drugs.
    I thought that was pretty cool, and a possible alternative for people with no access to tianeptine or other SERT drugs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15723351

2. Vinero

Vinero Member

Interesting. Would the zinc in regular zinc-high foods like red-meat be enough for this effect you think?

3. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Re: Zinc acts similar to tianeptine and blocks SSRI drug eff

This study says that 11mg of elemental zinc (from zinc gluconate) for 8 weeks achieved concentration of 0.6 microM in humans.

http://www.medsci.org/v10p0079.htm

The study on zinc effects on serotonin above says that the optimal concentration for increasing serotonin uptake was 1 microM. This mean that taking 20mg-30mg of elemental zinc (from zinc gluconate) should be ale to achieve the 1 microM concentration needed for effects similar to tianeptine. This is not too high and obtainable easily from food. Incidentally, 30mg of elemental zinc was the dosage in an old study used to lower prolactin. Given that serotonin and prolactin go hand in hand I wonder if these findings are related. Namely, does zinc lower prolactin indirectly by lowering plasma serotonin as discussed in the study above, or does zinc lower plasma serotonin indirectly by lowering prolactin?

4. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

The only way to get that much from food seems to eat food also rich in iron, no?

5. Elephanto

Elephanto Member

Zinc increases dopamine in an obvious manner, as you know dopamine inhibits serotonin synthesis and therefore prolactin.

6. lindsay

lindsay Member

Photographer
    The question is, is there a zinc supplement that doesn't cause stomach discomfort and constipation? Based on my experiences with Zicam, zinc is a major constipator. Is there such a thing as an anti-serotonin substance that doesn't do this?

7. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

Most zinc supplements come with a lot of bad excipients. I've bought a pure powder so will tell you if I tolerate it well.