Clyde

Does anyone like the idea of intentionally fattening on extremely low pufa foods and then dieting down to not get fat and the repeating this until pufa percent is much lower?

You lower the adipose pufa percentage every time you add body fat without pufa. So if you go from 40lbs of body fat which is 10% pufa and fatten to 50lbs of body fat on dates, you now have only 8% pufa but with the same total pufa. And then diet down to your natural set point which also give you less total pufa. Dieting back to your set point is probably less stressful than dieting bellow it too, so another advantage vs water fasting to bone or something like that.

If you didn't care about getting fat you could just gain 200lbs from dates and drop your percentage to 1.6% but it probably wouldn't be worth it because would ruin your hormones since body fat produces estrogen and inflammatory cytokines.

Momma

How sick or how healthy are you going into the start of this? That matters.

OP
C

Clyde

How sick or how healthy are you going into the start of this? That matters.
This would be for the impatient who want results sooner than 4yrs. May not be great if your frail but you could just gain a pound or two from dates and play it safe. Gaining a pound and dropping a pound seems harmless while big swings could cause damage like you suggest.

Momma

This would be for the impatient who want results sooner than 4yrs. May not be great if your frail but you could just gain a pound or two from dates and play it safe. Gaining a pound and dropping a pound seems harmless while big shift could cause damage like you say.
I say go for it. The healthier you are the more “successful” and less “damaging” it would be i gather.
Keep journals. Keep it simple. I think you can glean a lot from trying something like this.

PhilParma

798kuc.jpg

PhilParma

Have you tried lol? Funny. You got me.

How about ice cream or chocolate? Ray Peat made hydrogenated coconut oil ice cream.
Have I tried to gain 200lbs from eating dates? Yes I have.

K no I haven't. But I tried to gain any sort of weight from eating OJ, fruit (including dates), and cheese, which caused me to become dangerously underweight, made my teeth and gums collapse underneath me, and gave me (suspected) diabetic nerve damage.

It's a fun idea though. Report back on the results/damage.

If I was going to try this strategy I would gorge on (GORGE on): potatoes/white rice, coconut oil, and skim milk. Small amounts of fruit, liver, and seafood. How will you get adequate choline for your liver considering that eggs are moderately high in PUFA? I don't know.

OP
C

Clyde

Have I tried to gain 200lbs from eating dates? Yes I have.

K no I haven't. But I tried to gain any sort of weight from eating OJ, fruit (including dates), and cheese, which caused me to become dangerously underweight, made my teeth and gums collapse underneath me, and gave me (suspected) diabetic nerve damage.

It's a fun idea though. Report back on the results/damage.

If I was going to try this strategy I would gorge on (GORGE on): potatoes/white rice, coconut oil, and skim milk. Small amounts of fruit, liver, and seafood. How will you get adequate choline for your liver considering that eggs are moderately high in PUFA? I don't know.
I gained and lost about 30lbs total in 3 years, dieting 3 times. Early on I was happy to gain on commercial ice cream or cheesy potatoes but my body fat could have been 20% pufa when starting. After the first year I overate on top of my normal diet mostly dried fruit, potatoes, rice and skim milk like you suggest because I wanted the weight gain to have minimal pufa with my body fat having less.

The weight comes off easy when you overeat on purpose because your body doesn't want you there and I dropped the weight easy. The third time I gained 14lbs and I didn't fit my clothing and didn't feel great either so that was too much for me. I fairly lean now at about 20 percent body fat, within 7 pounds from my keto weight (when I became interested in Ray Peat).

Bears gain weight seasonally on sugary, high pufa foods and drop it very fast while hibernating. They also become more saturated as a percentage but for that you might need to fast. I think it's likely we evolved to gain weight seasonally and drop it during the winter when food is more scarce. That's how I thought of this.

I can't say how it worked because I would need a body fat biopsy. And I don't know how much of the weight was water etc. But I hadn't seen anyone else suggest it so I thought I'd share.

OP
C

Clyde

I gained and lost about 30lbs total in 3 years, dieting 3 times. Early on I was happy to gain on commercial ice cream or cheesy potatoes but my body fat could have been 20% pufa when starting. After the first year I overate on top of my normal diet mostly dried fruit, potatoes, rice and skim milk like you suggest because I wanted the weight gain to have minimal pufa with my body fat having less.

The weight comes off easy when you overeat on purpose because your body doesn't want you there and I dropped the weight easy. The third time I gained 14lbs and I didn't fit my clothing and didn't feel great either so that was too much for me. I fairly lean now at about 20 percent body fat, within 7 pounds from my keto weight (when I became interested in Ray Peat).

Bears gain weight seasonally on sugary, high pufa foods and drop it very fast while hibernating. They also become more saturated as a percentage but for that you might need to fast. I think it's likely we evolved to gain weight seasonally and drop it during the winter when food is more scarce. That's how I thought of this.

I can't say how it worked because I would need a body fat biopsy. And I don't know how much of the weight was water etc. But I hadn't seen anyone else suggest it so I thought I'd share.
I should have mentioned pufa dilution in the title since you instantly dilute the pufa in your body fat and adjust the fatty acid mix in your blood stream.

Momma

I should have mentioned pufa dilution in the title since you instantly dilute the pufa in your body fat and adjust the fatty acid mix in your blood stream.
I understood that. No worries. Keep us posted. I honestly think you are doing us a great service to simply try it out al a Peat. I was so happy to see someone thinking like this. Peat was always trying ideas out and came up with the most wonderful conclusions he shared with us.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals