Your Vitamin K2 Experience

J

j.

Many people take vitamin K2 to offset the blood-thinning effects of aspirin. However, K2 seems to have some benefits in its own right. It reverses calcification of the arteries in rats. Danny Roddy has a recent blog post that suggests that calcification of the arteries could be a cause of baldness.

Do you take vitamin K2? Have you noticed any effect?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I take it but do not notice anything other then it helping with the blood thinning from aspirin.

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
I take it but do not notice anything other then it helping with the blood thinning from aspirin.

Do you know your blood is thing because your nose bleeds or something like that?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yep, exactly. I will wake up in the morning with bloody nose if I am getting to thin in the blood. K2 takes care of that pretty quickly.

4peatssake

j. said:
Many people take vitamin K2 to offset the blood-thinning effects of aspirin. However, K2 seems to have some benefits in its own right. It reverses calcification of the arteries in rats. Danny Roddy has a recent blog post that suggests that calcification of the arteries could be a cause of baldness.

Do you take vitamin K2? Have you noticed any effect?

I started taking K2 (Thorne, 1 drop every couple days) about 3 weeks ago and the only thing I have noticed is that my period this month was normal! Freaked me out! :shock:

I also had just started on Progest E (maybe a week before my period started) so I'm not sure if the normal menses were the result of the Progest E, the Vit K2 or both??? I'm thinking the Progest E for sure but I was only on it for a few days before my period started.

I know you guys are guys (any other ladies out there, care to join in?) but honestly I was so happy to have a normal period after these monstrously heavy horrible ones the last several months. I'm perimenopausal so this balancing of my period was great!

You smart ones can probably figure out what's going on from that... :P I'm still wading through the tons of material and just slowing adding supplements for now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That's good news 4ps! I am assuming that it was the Progest E that did that. But, to be honest I have not been watching the lady stuff to much yet only because trying to fix myself up. But I do recall that using Progest E normalizes bleeding and also cramping and stuff like that.

4peatssake

Charlie said:

Ah yes, speaking of bloody noses, I have not had one since starting on the Vit K2. I used to get a lot of nosebleeds but alway only the left side - never the right.

I'm a bit reluctant to try aspirin due to the nose bleeds but perhaps the Vit K2 would protect enough against them, even for someone who gets them.

juanitacarlos

I'm not sure if its the aspirin or K2, but when I take it at night, I can't sleep. Revs me up somewhat. My blood is definitely not thinner from the aspirin because I take K2.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat has said that aspirin close to bed time can interfere with sleep because it revs up the metabolism.

HDD

I am taking Super K from Life Extension. Does anyone know what the optimum dosage is? I have been taking 1 or 2 every day.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Word of warning about K2. It can powerfully mobilize and excrete oxalates out of the body. And when it does it feels like you are peeing out sand or maybe even razor blades. It can be quite painful and some people go to the ER because of it.

For me, I take 1 drop a day max. I think 1 drop is 1mg. I am fine with 1 drop every 2 or 3 days though.

OP
J

j.

Haagendazendiane said:
I am taking Super K from Life Extension. Does anyone know what the optimum dosage is? I have been taking 1 or 2 every day.

I think RP recommends 1mg of vitamin K for every 325 mg of aspirin. So if you're not taking more than 325 mg of aspirin daily, I would take only 1 every two days, because each pill has 2.2 mg.

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
Word of warning about K2. It can powerfully mobilize and excrete oxalates out of the body. And when it does it feels like you are peeing out sand or maybe even razor blades. It can be quite painful and some people go to the ER because of it.

Is that only when you start taking K2 or always? Does it make you expel stones?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think maybe its from too high a dose at one time.

I think I passed a stone because of it. I still have the stone and the dr said it looked like mostly oxalates. I was also doing bag breathing really hard at the time, so I wasn't sure it was the bag breathing or the K2 or maybe both.

bradley

1mg sounds like a lot. I've just been taking 90mcg each day which is about a tenth of that. i believe Ray mentioning a dose around 100-200 mcg in a couple interviews. I could be mistaken though. Either i'm taking way too lite or you're taking way too much!

Charlie said:

For me, I take 1 drop a day max. I think 1 drop is 1mg. I am fine with 1 drop every 2 or 3 days though.

OP
J

j.

Vitamin K Toxicity (from wikipedia, so be careful)

Although allergic reaction from supplementation is possible, no known toxicity is associated with high doses of the phylloquinone (vitamin K1) or menaquinone (vitamin K2) forms of vitamin K, so no tolerable upper intake level (UL) has been set.[71]
Blood clotting (coagulation) studies in humans using 45 mg per day of vitamin K2 (as MK-4)[27] and even up to 135 mg/day (45 mg three times daily) of K2 (as MK-4),[72] showed no increase in blood clot risk. Even doses in rats as high as 250 mg/kg body weight did not alter the tendency for blood-clot formation to occur.[73]
Unlike the safe natural forms of vitamin K1 and vitamin K2 and their various isomers, a synthetic form of vitamin K, vitamin K3 (menadione), is demonstrably toxic. The U.S. FDA has banned this form from over-the-counter sale in the United States because large doses have been shown to cause allergic reactions, hemolytic anemia, and cytotoxicity in liver cells.[2]

HDD

Thanks, j. I take 2-4 325 mg a day of aspirin. I will make sure not to take too much.

OP
J

j.

Haagendazendiane said:
Thanks, j. I take 2-4 325 mg a day of aspirin. I will make sure not to take too much.

How do you figure out the amount of aspirin to take?