Your Pulse Experience

J

j.

Have you found a correlation between your pulse and your well-being? Do you have a goal? What's your current pulse?

A thought provoking quote from Peat:

I think 85/minute resting is a good average. For the last 35 years I have tried to keep it averaging a little over 90. When people are using thyroid to recover from tumors or cataracts or other chronic problem, they sometimes hold their resting pulse rate at 100 or more for a few months, without any harmful effects. Sometimes I think you'll be able to figure it out by yourself.

pboy

My current pulse is about 72-75 bpm, 115 / 80 Blood pressure...so I'm happy with the blood pressure, but still slightly cooler than I'd like most of the time, so I could see myself maybe being ideal at about 80 bpm, though does faster bpm necessarily correlate with heat production / faster metabolism?

Attachments

• Iron.png
    Iron.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 101
OP
J

j.

pboy said:
My current pulse is about 72-75 bpm, 115 / 80 Blood pressure...so I'm happy with the blood pressure, but still slightly cooler than I'd like most of the time, so I could see myself maybe being ideal at about 80 bpm, though does faster bpm necessarily correlate with heat production / faster metabolism?

I'm not sure, I think sometimes fast pulse can be due to stress hormones as well.

jyb

pboy said:

In my case, getting a good temp has been harder than getting a good pulse. Very frequently can have 80-90 pulse but very low temps. As a result, I hardly bother measuring pulse. However, when it gets really high like 100+ which is rare, then usually I have a good temps.

Edward

I'm between 85-90bpm I haven't dropped below 80bpm for a long time. Even if I feel a little chilly it is almost always because of an environmental cue because my temperature and pulse is stable. We have a joke in my house that when I go to my office it is the psychological black hole or the black vortex, because if I'm in the habit of sitting down for several days and doing research on the Internet I almost always get a little chilly, but when I check my temperature and pulse it is normal. Any type of repetition will bring the organism down. And so usually if I start feeling like that I will get up and do something else for a couple of days.

In the people I've e-mailed with on starting thyroid they start noticing the same thing, that they are warmer and the pulse is stable but that there is a widening in their senses, and they start noticing that if they do certain activities like work, or something they are in the habit of doing that they feel cold, yet the physiology is o.k. I think that it is good to listen to those cues. It seems that if you insist on doing something habitual that soon the physiology follows behind and the pulse and temperatures start to drop.

Heat production in the body that is non-metabolic is usually generated from the catabolic reaction of the peroxisomes breaking down long chain fatty acids. Stable metabolic heat is generated by a healthy metabolism, so there is a relationship between temperature and metabolism. Often times if you are taking t3 or t3/t4 there is a period after were you will feel slightly cold and there is a tendency to reach for more thyroid, when actually, what is needed is more protein and sugar, and typically if you are just starting to eat well, the requirements for protein and sugar are higher. t3 or t3/t4 stimulates the metabolism and if you have no glycogen reserves and insufficient protein a stress cycle will occur bringing the entire physiology down.

pboy

Edward that's very interesting about how repeated, generally habitual activity is associated with generally lower temperatures...if I compare this to my experience it is true! I think I'll attempt to include some more sporadic, unpredictable, or more thought provoking action into my days....a good idea would you say?

Edward

pboy said:
Edward that's very interesting about how repeated, generally habitual activity is associated with generally lower temperatures...if I compare this to my experience it is true! I think I'll attempt to include some more sporadic, unpredictable, or more thought provoking action into my days....a good idea would you say?

Oh yeah, I think it is a good idea, just go outside and play. Seriously. When my daughter is outside crunching leaves I usually go help her. Or if you have a question, and you want to know the answer, searching for the answer and trying to understand is almost always warming if it is exploratory.

Sometimes preferring a paper book over looking at a screen can be more stimulating. Often I will just print the studies I come across and read them sitting in the sun instead of at the computer. I will just print a stack of them, pour some coffee, and sit in the sun.

When is the last time you picked up a stick or a rock or felt the texture of something? Those are all silly yet stimulating things.

HDD

Have taken bp and pulse several times on Walmart machine the past couple of days and bpm has been high, 93, 91, 101...but I tend to get high blod pressure ..140+ top #. Today I took it 3 x in a row to see if it made a difference. First time, I was in prehypertension category (top and bottom) pulse 101 ..I had just had lunch and had a Seattles Best cup of coffee. Next reading bp in hypertension, pulse 90+, then last reading bp 118/?(can't remember but down to normal, pulse 90+. Really warm recently, too. The bp concerns me a little.

stressucks

What does a good temp hour post meal but low pulse mean? I'm frequently around 98.6 after lunch, but my pulse is rarely above 60.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Low metabolism.

stressucks

Charlie said:
Low metabolism.

Thanks Charlie, I remember you saying that. I guess my thoughts were more of, does it say anything about your thyroid specifically? Do good temps and low pulse mean thyroid ok, but metabolism poor?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My pulse these days is generally between 100-115. I had been keeping it on the high side intentionally but now I'm thinking it may be time to try to bring it down below 100 since it has been almost 4 months of this higher pulse. I'm contemplating reducing the cynoplus to see what happens. I generally have one in small pieces spread throughout the day. I also must add that I check it at work so it could be some stress too. If any one has worked to bring their pulse down I'd love to hear your experience.

HDD

Where was your pulse when you started? Did you start with small amount of cynoplus and gradually increase? My pulse gets over 90 bpm at times but I do not check it regularly. I am taking 1/4 of cynoplus and was going to add t3 but maybe cynoplus would be better? How do you keep up nutritionally?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My pulse was usually 78-80 before I started a Peat style approach, although I didn't check it often. Years ago when I was on vyvanse for chronic fatigue syndrome it was often over 100. Nutritionally I think I'm doing pretty good but the cronometer indicates low potassium. I'm not sure if it is an issue or not. The old me would have thought yes but now I find that so many of my former beliefs have been shattered that I really don't know. Otherwise I seem to be getting all macro and micronutrients. I did remember reading somewhere (a Peat interview) that a few people only need thyroid meds for about 3 days to get their own gland back to normal functioning. Maybe that's me? I seems like another experiment is in order. I will probably pay more attention to my pulse for awhile and see what happens. If you think the potassium is an issue from a Peat perspective I'd love to hear about it or any other suggestions. Thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Today I skipped cynoplus. My temps are good at 99.3 after breakfast but the pulse was 127! I'm going to watch this close. My thinking is that my metabolism is ramped up a little too much. I've read where Charlie has mentioned having done this. So if anyone knows about the potassium recommendations I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I ended up at one point today with my pulse at 146. I decided that since I believe more in myself than the medical system I had to take some sort of action. I took a teaspoon of canning and pickling salt and a crumb of cynoplus which resulted in the heart rate dropping to 122 within about 30 minutes. I repeated this again about an hour later and it came down to 98! What I've learned from this is to pay attention to the signs of healing and readjust when necessary. I'm happy that I may not need as much cynoplus as I once did and also to witness the power of salt at work. I'm much happier with this outcome than I would have been putting myself in the hand of arrogant medical workers who would probably give me a bunch of unnecessary drugs and some fish oil!

OP
J

j.

Once I get above 100, I stop taking thyroid for at least a day.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Today my pulse checked at 100. I'm paying more attention to salt by adding 1 tsp. 3 times per day starting yesterday. I took not quite an 1/8th of cynoplus yesterday and none so far today. I'm going to go with j.'s suggestion to skip a day when the pulse is over 100. I don't think it was a coincidence that the need for cascara decreased at about the same time and I see this as a healing sign. My temp upon awakening was 98.8 and rose to 99.6 after breakfast so it seems everything is moving in the right direction. I actually never expected such a dramatic shift but I'm happy about it. I'm grateful for the post that encouraged tracking of diet and temp or I might have not been able to correct the high pulse so easily. Since I had good cronometer data it helped me see the big picture. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Awakening temp of 98.8 to me would indicate either very high adrenaline, or hyperthyroid. Optimal waking temp should be 97.8-98.2 with pulse in the 80's or maybe even slightly higher.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm going to recheck it tomorrow. I may have made myself a bit hyper, oops! My temp is usually has been 98 even when I take it right away. It seems like I let myself relax a little too much with checking the pulse. You have a good point about the adrenaline though. I've been taking classes, working and trying to keep up with family life too. It feels like a bit much at times. Thanks for the input. Everyone's been great!