Your Personal Experience With Raw Carrots

milk_lover

Please ignore the many benefits of eating a carrot salad every day you've heard from Ray Peat directly or any blog/site on the internet. I want to hear YOUR personal experience with the raw carrots. Do you think they help you in any shape? Have you noticed improvements or drawbacks? Does it really help suppress your estrogen symptoms?

HDD

I haven't made the salad in months but find eating a raw carrot helps relieve gas and promotes bowel movements. I once noticed a rise in temperature from eating carrots.

CoolTweetPete

Definitely promotes bowel movements, typically within 2 hours for me.

Has anyone encountered any good evidence of the antibiotic effect Dr. Peat discusses? All i've found is information regarding carrot extract (probably some sort of concentrate?).

This is one of those not sure what he's talking about things like magnesium in coffee. I cannot find evidence for that either.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

HDD said:
post 98391 a raw carrot helps relieve gas and promotes bowel movements.
CoolTweetPete said:
post 98396 Definitely promotes bowel movements, typically within 2 hours for me.
Same here :D That's why it's very important part of my diet.

HDD said:
post 98391 I once noticed a rise in temperature from eating carrots.
I noticed my hairs stand up and my hair becomes silky after I eat carrots.. I still don't know exactly how but I have my own theory; raw carrots reduce estrogen by binding them in the intestine, which, along with the regular bowel movements, reduces serotonin. After all, Peat mentioned there is a strong association between estrogen and serotonin levels. Now, this study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6227192) says the following:
"These results suggest that serotonin stimulates prolactin secretion in chickens by increasing pituitary responsiveness to hypothalamic releasing factors and by increasing the prolactin releasing activity of the hypothalamus."
When you lower serotonin, you lower prolactin, which has strong connection to your hair health.

Regarding magnesium in coffee, I checked many food nutrition info sites and I saw little magnesium in coffee! Did he measure magnesium himself in coffee like he did to vitamin K2 liver extracts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I eat raw carrots and have some baking soda in order to neutralize the stomach acid so carrots go to the intestines without being exposed to too much stomach acid. I think it works better this way.

Makrosky

I've taken raw carrot salad RP style 6-7 total times in my life, in different weeks. Two of them I didn't notice anything, the rest of them slowed my bowel movements A LOT and felt bloated, like uncomfortable.That's why I didn't do it more times. I used the simple recipe : grated carrot, coconut oil, sea salt and vinegar.

Maybe my body had to adapt to it but I didn't feel like repeating the experiment.

What time of the day you guys take the carrot salad ? How much time away from food?

Activated charcoal works VERY GOOD for me relieving endotoxin, serotonin and estrogen symptoms. It slows down bowel movement as well but I don't feel uncomfortable from that, contrary to what happens with the carrot salad.

Amazoniac

CoolTweetPete said:
Definitely promotes bowel movements, typically within 2 hours for me.

Has anyone encountered any good evidence of the antibiotic effect Dr. Peat discusses? All i've found is information regarding carrot extract (probably some sort of concentrate?).

This is one of those not sure what he's talking about things like magnesium in coffee. I cannot find evidence for that either.
Leave parts of it that you would discart, mix with bits of foods that spoil easily, in a bag at room temp. That should provide enough evidence..

yomama

Each morning I take a fruit juice which also contains 3 carrots. I set aside the carrot fiber and take it late afternoon with a tbsp of coconut oil. It should sum a bit more of 30000IU of vit A as beta-carotene. My bowel works well and I noted a great skin improvment, skin rash I used to have on eyebrow completely gone and most of facial wrinkles toned down.

YuraCZ

for me is carrot salad 2x 200-300g a day best prevention for constipation.. Soluble fiber as psyllium gives me constipation and also I can't eat too much FODMAP sources of fiber. Carrot salad gives me zero digestive issues. So I eat as much carrot salad as I can(of course without fat, to prevent beta carotene absorption..)

YuraCZ

Berk_Peat said:
post 105536 I eat raw carrots and have some baking soda in order to neutralize the stomach acid so carrots go to the intestines without being exposed to too much stomach acid. I think it works better this way.
Wow that sounds interesting. I will try it. Thx :) Btw when you add baking soda.. You can see undigested pieces of carrot in the feces?

YuraCZ said:
post 105563
Berk_Peat said:
post 105536 I eat raw carrots and have some baking soda in order to neutralize the stomach acid so carrots go to the intestines without being exposed to too much stomach acid. I think it works better this way.
Wow that sounds interesting. I will try it. Thx :) Btw when you add baking soda.. You can see undigested pieces of carrot in the feces?

Underground veggies like carrots come with some bacteria from dirt, so it may not be a great idea to block stomach acid, a friend told me. Maybe what I said wasn't a great idea. Charcoal can do a good job with this issue in a safer way.

Ulla

YuraCZ said:
post 105562 for me is carrot salad 2x 200-300g a day best prevention for constipation.. Soluble fiber as psyllium gives me constipation and also I can't eat too much FODMAP sources of fiber. Carrot salad gives me zero digestive issues. So I eat as much carrot salad as I can(of course without fat, to prevent beta carotene absorption..)

Good! I feel like a better person now :D Because I also eat like 500 g carrots a day and I though I shouldn't eat them so much (only one carrot a day). I can't get enough of them. Usually I eat them raw, rarely with fat.
It has been more than a month since the 'carrot craze' started. I didn't get orange or anything like that.
I can't say it helps me with toxins or anything but my digestion is good :)

YuraCZ

naninani said:
post 105581
YuraCZ said:
post 105562 for me is carrot salad 2x 200-300g a day best prevention for constipation.. Soluble fiber as psyllium gives me constipation and also I can't eat too much FODMAP sources of fiber. Carrot salad gives me zero digestive issues. So I eat as much carrot salad as I can(of course without fat, to prevent beta carotene absorption..)

Good! I feel like a better person now :D Because I also eat like 500 g carrots a day and I though I shouldn't eat them so much (only one carrot a day). I can't get enough of them. Usually I eat them raw, rarely with fat.
It has been more than a month since the 'carrot craze' started. I didn't get orange or anything like that.
I can't say it helps me with toxins or anything but my digestion is good :)
If carrots are the only one(or main) source of fiber for us, then we need a lot of them for regular bowel movement, proper estrogen and toxin detoxification.. And carrot really is the best type of fiber.. :thumbleft

Ulla

YuraCZ said:
If carrots are the only one(or main) source of fiber for us, then we need a lot of them for regular bowel movement, proper estrogen and toxin detoxification.. And carrot really is the best type of fiber.. :thumbleft
:thumbup :thumbup
Thanks!

yomama

YuraCZ said:
post 105562 So I eat as much carrot salad as I can(of course without fat, to prevent beta carotene absorption..)

why would you inhibit the absorption of the beta-carotene?

Giraffe

A carrot reliably takes care of gases, but I get carotenosis if I eat carrots a couple of days in a raw.

YuraCZ

yomama said:
post 105587
YuraCZ said:
post 105562 So I eat as much carrot salad as I can(of course without fat, to prevent beta carotene absorption..)

why would you inhibit the absorption of the beta-carotene?
Because hypothyroid people can have problems convert beta carotene to vitamin A..

Amazoniac

It should not be a concern because MCTs don't enhance b-carotene absorption like other fatty acids do. Which is just one more reason why they work in synergy..

Edit: it probably ties back to what I've already wrote about MCTs not stimulating the formation of chylomicrons, a type of lipoprotein.