Your Milk Recipes?

Samya

I'm wondering what your own milk recipes/blends look like?

I recently started drinking coffee and if I'm at work I'll have few shots of espresso from a bean machine, dissolve 50 grams of honey in the cup once it cools a bit, then mix it into 2 litres of 2% milk and drink throughout the day. If I'm not at work I'll dissolve around 25 grams of instant coffee in the milk, again with the same amount of honey.

The flavour of milk and coffee famously compliment each other but I've noticed they compliment each other nutritionally also, as coffee has B3 and some iron which milk lacks.

Thanks for sharing any of your milky concoctions. :)

Matestube

I'm wondering what your own milk recipes/blends look like?

I recently started drinking coffee and if I'm at work I'll have few shots of espresso from a bean machine, dissolve 50 grams of honey in the cup once it cools a bit, then mix it into 2 litres of 2% milk and drink throughout the day. If I'm not at work I'll dissolve around 25 grams of instant coffee in the milk, again with the same amount of honey.

The flavour of milk and coffee famously compliment each other but I've noticed they compliment each other nutritionally also, as coffee has B3 and some iron which milk lacks.

Thanks for sharing any of your milky concoctions. :)
I've been doing the same, only with full fat milk and overnight cold-brewed coffee.

OP
Samya

Samya

I've been doing the same, only with full fat milk and overnight cold-brewed coffee.
Thanks for sharing. So is that with a similar amount of added honey or sugar?

I was dissolving the instant coffee in warm water before adding to the milk, then realised I could just shake it into the milk as its so soluble.

I'd like to start making my own coffee from organic beans to avoid pesticides so will look into cold extraction. I actually prefer my milk/coffee cool or room temp over warm. I do wonder if hot extraction would pick up more beneficial compounds though.

Matestube

Thanks for sharing. So is that with a similar amount of added honey or sugar?

I was dissolving the instant coffee in warm water before adding to the milk, then realised I could just shake it into the milk as its so soluble.

I'd like to start making my own coffee from organic beans to avoid pesticides so will look into cold extraction. I actually prefer my milk/coffee cool or room temp over warm. I do wonder if hot extraction would pick up more beneficial compounds though.
It's really another world of taste.
You grind the beans fine, you pour water all over in a bowl, and just let it sit for 8 hours or more.
It extracts all the flavors, the body and the sweetness, without any of the acidity.

Lot's of answers to your questions here:

aniciete

How does the maple syrup taste in coffee? I actually never considered that combination before. I am making my own vanilla syrup and it is so good.
It’s amazing. I think the dark robust (formerly grade b) maple syrup tastes the best. I used to put honey in my coffee but it started to be a pain in the **** to mix it.

Jennifer

These are some of my favorite milky concoctions:

1. Chocolate milk—I add mycotoxin-free cacao nibs to raw milk and let it cold brew for 24 hours, then add sugar or honey.

2. Milkshake—I blend together raw milk, fruit and a scoop of vanilla ice cream--I use a homemade one I make from coconut cream. My favorite shakes are wild berries & cream, strawberries & cream, peaches & cream, mangoes & cream and the following one.

3. Date shake—I blend together raw milk, sukkari dates, honey, vanilla bean powder, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.

4. Custard--I use a basic recipe that calls for milk, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt.

5. Pudding--I use a basic recipe that calls for milk, sugar, vanilla (I add mycotoxin-free cocoa powder for chocolate pudding) and salt, and use gelatin as the binder in place of cornstarch.

OP
Samya

Samya

Thanks all of your recipes.

I've dialed back the coffee quite a bit as think it may have been negatively affecting sleep.

It's interesting trying different additions to milk, coffee, or cacao and honey are my favourites but think in the end milk as it comes from the cow is hard to improve on.

OP
Samya

Samya

Have any of you tried adding powdered lactose to milk?

Honey and milk is magic but I enjoy the taste of milk and this seems like it could be a good way to add a touch of extra sugar.

Lilac

I second custard for a real treat. Ray approves of it.

From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook:

Baked Custard

2 egg yolks
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups very hot milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Grated nutmeg

Oven 325 degrees. Butter ramekins. Shallow pan with hot water to 1 inch.

Beat the yolks and eggs enough to blend. Stir in sugar and salt. Slowly add the hot milk, stirring. Add vanilla. Strain into ramekins. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. Just a tiny jiggle should be left in the custard.

OP
Samya

Samya

I've tried lactose monohydrate powder added to milk and so far seems like a good option. I'm guessing fruit or other wholefood carbs are probably more ideal as they have additional nutrients along with the sugar but lactose is a nice addition to milk and coffee, especially if you'd like it less sweet than with honey. I think I also notice the lactose releasing slower as I have more stable hunger levels compared to adding honey.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals