Your Mentallity

Hans

Forum Supporter
Your diet affects your mood. Fasting, stress, gut-irritating foods, unpredictable and unfortunate events, etc., are all things that can make you act/react a certain way. I always thought that, or wanted to believe that, if I just ate a good meal, stayed on a good diet, kept my glycogen stores high and kept my blood sugar stable, I'd be OK, I'd be able to handle stress, not freak out in traffic, become irritated, always be happy, etc.

But, although food can have a great effect on you, it actually plays a minor role. What's actually important is your mindset. How many people are sick but eat a "healthy" diet. And then you get to know them and then you realize their mindset is the reason they are where they are. How about those people in the concentration camps that were under tremendous stress and had a horrible diet, yet afterwards they lived a long and meaningful life and even looked younger than other people their age. Their mindset is what makes them different.

The point I'm trying to make is that Hans Selye talked about GAS. General adaption syndrome. A stress happens, you react to it and then adapts. If the stress is too big, you maladapt. Break. Get sick.

But that stress is just a perception. Take for example two identical people. Both scratch their cars. One guy flips out and it's a major stressor. The other guy is totally relaxed and it's not that big of a deal. Guy two is going to be much healthier than guy 1.

And it's not just because of different neurotransmitters. It's a choice that you can make mentally, even in the heat of the event to act differently. Have you ever felt super mad and wanted to flip and then you just get a thought that this is not the way to act and you have that split second to make a decision if you're going to continue to act the way you are or stop and act decently.

Similarly, during a stressor you can change your perception of the stress. Change the connection you have to something and the stress can almost completely disappear. We create our own stress in our minds.

Point being, no matter how good your diet and lifestyle is, your mentality will determine how you will react to anything and if it will be a stressor or not.

I think the reason why I and other people might want to believe it's all about the diet, supplements and lifestyle is because it's easy to be on a diet, but it's hard to change yourself.

P.S. I'm not discounting unavoidable stress, such as an abusive relationship, EMF, man made toxins, etc. Such stressors are best avoided if possible. I'm mainly focusing on stressors we create in our minds and even things that happen that appear stressful are actually just our perception.

Jib

I agree completely. I don't want to spam this but it's really one of the best videos I've seen, and I was big into the Faster EFT scene for a while:

It's important to exercise conscious control over our perception as much as possible, particularly over things that are stressful to us.

I used to work with people (for free) using the Faster EFT method. I'll never forget one lady at work; within 5 minutes of tapping and guiding her along the process, going into different memories and ending with some positive memories and shifts, the migraine disappeared. She asked "how the hell did you do that?" and said that every single time she's gotten a migraine over the past 15 years it would last at least 7 or 8 hours and usually more. She couldn't believe it was gone.

Honestly, I couldn't either. I wasn't sure if it would work. I just had her go into her earliest memories of having migraines, and tapped on those, then on the emotions/feelings about the migraine itself, how she felt about it, why it upset her, what the pain was like psychologically just knowing she had the problem, etc. then I moved to a positive memory, asking her when she could remember feeling the most relaxed. Some more tapping and back and forth and done.

I worked with many other people that were extremely upset about different things and within a single session it was gone. Many of these people have contacted me several years later to check in and let me know that while they still deal with the normal problems of life, the issues we worked on never bothered them again afterwards. So I'm a big believer in that.

The difficult part is going there. I work on myself and don't go to anyone for help, and it's a bit of a different ball game in that case. It's easy to run and hide from yourself vs. when you're being held accountable by someone else, and having someone else to guide you and keep you on track. But it can be done.

We are not simply automatons that experience emotions exclusively based on our diet and lifestyle. Our perception absolutely plays a role in our body's homeostasis. If you don't believe me, simply imagine something that bothers you. Think about it, and notice how you feel. Then think about something that makes you feel good, and notice how you feel. Our thoughts can and do influence our bodies. On a daily basis.

Chronic stress can absolutely be a product of perception. Anyone carrying around constant stress/pain/unhappiness would do well to look into such methods. But the method is not the point: the change in perception is. The letting go of belief systems that cause us chronic suffering.

Either way, it doesn't hurt to try. I'm having a lot of upper back pain at the moment for example, and now am inspired to go sit outside and do some tapping on it. I'm always amazed, working both on myself and on other people, at what kind of memories and beliefs come up. Without even digging for them, without trying, just in the tapping process. The mind is a funny thing.

Regina

Your diet affects your mood. Fasting, stress, gut-irritating foods, unpredictable and unfortunate events, etc., are all things that can make you act/react a certain way. I always thought that, or wanted to believe that, if I just ate a good meal, stayed on a good diet, kept my glycogen stores high and kept my blood sugar stable, I'd be OK, I'd be able to handle stress, not freak out in traffic, become irritated, always be happy, etc.

But, although food can have a great effect on you, it actually plays a minor role. What's actually important is your mindset. How many people are sick but eat a "healthy" diet. And then you get to know them and then you realize their mindset is the reason they are where they are. How about those people in the concentration camps that were under tremendous stress and had a horrible diet, yet afterwards they lived a long and meaningful life and even looked younger than other people their age. Their mindset is what makes them different.

The point I'm trying to make is that Hans Selye talked about GAS. General adaption syndrome. A stress happens, you react to it and then adapts. If the stress is too big, you maladapt. Break. Get sick.

But that stress is just a perception. Take for example two identical people. Both scratch their cars. One guy flips out and it's a major stressor. The other guy is totally relaxed and it's not that big of a deal. Guy two is going to be much healthier than guy 1.

And it's not just because of different neurotransmitters. It's a choice that you can make mentally, even in the heat of the event to act differently. Have you ever felt super mad and wanted to flip and then you just get a thought that this is not the way to act and you have that split second to make a decision if you're going to continue to act the way you are or stop and act decently.

Similarly, during a stressor you can change your perception of the stress. Change the connection you have to something and the stress can almost completely disappear. We create our own stress in our minds.

Point being, no matter how good your diet and lifestyle is, your mentality will determine how you will react to anything and if it will be a stressor or not.

I think the reason why I and other people might want to believe it's all about the diet, supplements and lifestyle is because it's easy to be on a diet, but it's hard to change yourself.

P.S. I'm not discounting unavoidable stress, such as an abusive relationship, EMF, man made toxins, etc. Such stressors are best avoided if possible. I'm mainly focusing on stressors we create in our minds and even things that happen that appear stressful are actually just our perception.
"Nothing is stored, it's like the pasts are all present in the same room, and we periodically have a different perspective on them. When the present balance of stuff, toxicants, euphoriants, etc., is good, you can think and feel what you want to about things." Ray Peat

Hugh Johnson

"Nothing is stored, it's like the pasts are all present in the same room, and we periodically have a different perspective on them. When the present balance of stuff, toxicants, euphoriants, etc., is good, you can think and feel what you want to about things." Ray Peat
The person is a programmable entity. However, there is something beyond the person, the conciousness that can program the person. People in concentration camps have chosen their attitudes to circumstance, and similarly rich kids in perfect circumstance have ruined their lives. The human being is far more than a biological entity.

I’ve witnessed people who are 100 years old crotchety unhappy people with no friends. I’m not sure how you reconcile these people?

Jennifer

I’ve witnessed people who are 100 years old crotchety unhappy people with no friends. I’m not sure how you reconcile these people?
They make no apologies for it — they don't feel bad about feeling bad?
I agree and have actively done so many times but I've noticed that the act of trying to change my natural emotional response to a situation, in the belief that it is bad, has a tendency to stress me even more. Though, I'm not a violent person and if I were, I would actively be trying to overcome that. Even though I'm inspired by the mindset of those like Viktor Frankl, I'm also inspired by my 94 years young grandmother who stresses about everything but makes no apologies for it. Unlike the current movement that shuns any emotion other than "positive" or happy, she embraces her worrying ways. I figure the full range of emotions is part of being human, and there's a blessing in that, and if I feel stressed or worried, I'm not killing my chances of living to 200 and beyond. Hehe!

Last edited:

Regina

The person is a programmable entity. However, there is something beyond the person, the conciousness that can program the person. People in concentration camps have chosen their attitudes to circumstance, and similarly rich kids in perfect circumstance have ruined their lives. The human being is far more than a biological entity.
:thumbsup: For sure

Hugh Johnson

They make no apologies for it — they don't feel bad about feeling bad?

I agree and have actively done so many times but I've noticed that the act of trying to change my natural emotional response to a situation, in the belief that it is bad, has a tendency to stress me even more. Though, I'm not a violent person and if I were, I would actively be trying to overcome that. Even though I'm inspired by the mindset of those like Viktor Frankl, I'm also inspired by my 94 years young grandmother who stresses about everything but makes no apologies for it. Unlike the current movement that shuns any emotion other than "positive" or happy, she embraces her worrying ways. I figure the full range of emotions is part of being human, and there's a blessing in that, and if I feel stressed or worried, I'm not killing my chances of living to 200 and beyond. Hehe!
There is a difference between an emotion and an action. Feeling anger or rage is acceptable, physical or verbal violence is an action, and typically not acceptable. If you feel the emotion, it will dissipate.

rei

But, although food can have a great effect on you, it actually plays a minor role. What's actually important is your mindset.

Absurd take on things. The food you eat and the air you breathe are the cornerstones of your being. Only after those are in check does it come to consideration how you _feel_ or _think_ about things.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Who was the first species?

I believe our thought patterns and behaviors were very much developed unconsciously throughout our childhood and teenage years. Our first friends, our family, how we spent our time, what activities we engaged with. What skills we had to develop.

To acquire new patterns, eat to develop and form new connections, practice to thicken and strengthen the circuits.

Jing

I would like to think just my mindset is all I need to change but it just isn't, I have had too many periods in my life where everything was just easy without me having to change my mindset and lots of periods where everything just stresses me out without changing my mindset, like today not a bad day for me sun is shining nice blue sky, I haven't thought any different to the other days without the sun, it's just I need the sun no matter how much I change my mindset.

The same thing with diet if I eat something that gives me terrible stomach pain and constipation no matter what my mindset is of course it's going to ruin the day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals