Your Experiences With Cascara/Emodin?

Beastmode

Could you share your experiences with it?

It's typically recommended to have right before bed, but I've found 1/8th of a tsp sometime before lunch, my bowel movement the next day seems to be in more quantity.

OP
L

Logan-

It's typically recommended to have right before bed, but I've found 1/8th of a tsp sometime before lunch, my bowel movement the next day seems to be in more quantity.

Thanks. Any difference in your energy metabolism, mood, mental concentration etc.?

Waynish

I used a very high quality one and found it not to be very powerful for me personally.

mrchibbs

Could you share your experiences with it?

I mix it in with a tbsp of juice to form a slurry and then fill the glass with juice and mix well.

Digestion has been great all my life, but transit was the first thing which slowed during severe illness.

I think there are concerns with long term use of cascara, but infrequent use or during periods of stress, helps clear the bowels and prevent endotoxin load.

In healthy people, it may be helpful to use for 2-3 days once a month, to clear the digestive tract.

It's still safer than antibiotics, or activated charcoal. So it's very safe, and useful. I used it recently when I was having flu/covid respiratory symptoms, because emodin was found to be helpful in previous coronaviruses.

serling78

Thanks guys, RP’s article gives a very positive view of it, in theory at least it should have wonderful effects like reducing estrogen, serotonin, NO, endotoxin, histamine, inflammation etc.

Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.
I've been using cascara every other night for a couple week now (high quality aged) and I'm a little weary of it. It definitely helps with relieving constipation (after about 24 hours) but if I stop using it for even 2 nights then the benefits disappear and I go back to being bloated and constipated. So I don't really understand how someone would benefit from using it a couple times a month or "as needed".

What is making me weary are two side effects that seem to have popped up pretty quickly. One is I keep noticing the closer I am from my last dose, the worse my libido is. The other is similar timing, but facial flushing. For a day or so after my last dose I have pretty noticeable redness in my face. If I haven't had it for a couple days my face goes back to normal.

I still haven't been able to find anything regarding cascara causing either of these side effects. Not sure at this point if I should stick with it and hope it works out or if I should abort. But the thought of going back to being badly constipated and bloated isn't all that thrilling.

ReSTART

Every other night for a couple week wow! I wouldn’t use more than two three times a month at most.

Someone shared this with me.

koky

me: Do you see any problem with daily use of cascara?
r.p.: No, it has many protective effects.

Chad_Catholic

I've been using cascara every other night for a couple week now (high quality aged) and I'm a little weary of it. It definitely helps with relieving constipation (after about 24 hours) but if I stop using it for even 2 nights then the benefits disappear and I go back to being bloated and constipated. So I don't really understand how someone would benefit from using it a couple times a month or "as needed".

What is making me weary are two side effects that seem to have popped up pretty quickly. One is I keep noticing the closer I am from my last dose, the worse my libido is. The other is similar timing, but facial flushing. For a day or so after my last dose I have pretty noticeable redness in my face. If I haven't had it for a couple days my face goes back to normal.

I still haven't been able to find anything regarding cascara causing either of these side effects. Not sure at this point if I should stick with it and hope it works out or if I should abort. But the thought of going back to being badly constipated and bloated isn't all that thrilling.
Do you have any localized pain, like in your lower right abdomen or elsewhere? Have you performed a stool sample with a gastroenterologist? What does your poop look like when you finally do go?