Your childhood diet; the impacts of such?

sweetly

What was your diet like as a child and what impact do you think it has had on you?

YuraCZ

Mostly processed cheeses, pastries, margarine, cookies, milk, cheap ham/sausages etc.. and in school and on the weekends lunches like some meat(pork,chicken..) potatoes etc.. Around puberty really bad acne. I had basically all forms of acne, accutane treatment etc.. It was miserable time for me as a teenager. Also really bad digestion problems. Painful diarrhea in the night etc. (up to 23-25 when I finally realize I killing myself with gluten..) In 21 I found that, I'm severely hypothyroid and my Thyroid is basically destroyed (TSH 12).. End of story heh

Godiva

My husband and I are almost perfect examples of what childhood diet can cause. My mom cooked a lot but with mostly cheap products like margarine and powdered milk, little fruit- very nutritionally deficient. Pretty typical american junk diet. I also made this worse by not eating for days at a time while doing hard manual labor all day long as a teenager. I gained about 50 lbs in the year after starting that. My metabolism is essentially non existent. I was a painfully shy kid and wanted no interaction with any humans. Today I'm still very overweight despite having a very physical job, have anxiety and lots of digestive issues. (thankfully all this is improving with Peat's help)

My husband was born in Ukraine and was raised on raw goat's milk, potatoes, meat, and fresh fruit. He was a bold, adventurous child, very social, kind, gentle, very relaxed approach to life. Even though his job is sedentary, his weight is normal.

We've been married since I was 19, he was 21 so we've eaten mostly the same things for our adult lives. (Minus a separation a few years back) His health has always been consistently good. I've struggled with mine. We often joke that I was the one born in a 3rd world country.

I can take this out another generation as well. My daughter was born when I was 19, so even though I wasn't in the best of health, I at least had minimal build up of toxic junk. While I was pregnant with her I craved fruit and milk (go figure :lol: ). I breastfed her for 3 years and was into whole foods by then and favored butter over vegetable oils, so that's what she has had her entire life. She is one of the healthiest kids I've ever seen. She rarely gets sick and when she does beats it in a day or 2 at the most. She's at a perfectly healthy weight and is very athletic and coordinated. Mentally she is also emotionally mature and very bright.

I also have a stepdaughter. I don't know what her mom's diet was like while pregnant but for the past few years she either eats junk or goes on a "health food" kick. The majority though is McDonald's and other toxic foods like that. My sd was a pretty heavy baby. She has some structural issues in her legs. She is extremely clumsy. She started to show some improved health when she was with us most of the time but then her mom kidnapped her for 5 months and made her obese. She is very intelligent as well, but acts much younger than her age most of the time. It breaks my heart. She's an incredibly sweet girl and She's being set up to suffer even worse than I have. Her mom doesn't see an issue with her health.