Your Brain Does Not Recover From Daily Caffeine Use - Let’s See The Science!

Thought this was really really interesting. As much as I love my coffee, I’ve actually been thinking of giving it up.

“Caffeine elicits widespread effects in the central nervous system and is the most frequently consumed psychostimulant worldwide. First evidence indicates that, during daily intake, the elimination of caffeine may slow down, and the primary metabolite, paraxanthine, may accumulate. The neural impact of such adaptions is virtually unexplored. In this report, we leveraged the data of a laboratory study with N = 20 participants and three within-subject conditions: caffeine (150 mg caffeine × 3/day × 10 days), placebo (150 mg mannitol × 3/day × 10 days), and acute caffeine deprivation (caffeine × 9 days, afterward placebo × 1 day). On day 10, we determined the course of salivary caffeine and paraxanthine using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. We assessed gray matter (GM) intensity and cerebral blood flow (CBF) after acute caffeine deprivation as compared to changes in the caffeine condition from our previous report. The results indicated that levels of paraxanthine and caffeine remained high and were carried overnight during daily intake, and that the levels of paraxanthine remained elevated after 24 h of caffeine deprivation compared to placebo. After 36 h of caffeine deprivation, the previously reported caffeine-induced GM reduction was partially mitigated, while CBF was elevated compared to placebo. Our findings unveil that conventional daily caffeine intake does not provide sufficient time to clear up psychoactive compounds and restore cerebral responses, even after 36 h of abstinence. They also suggest investigating the consequences of a paraxanthine accumulation during daily caffeine intake.”

* The caffeine breaks down to paraxanthine which accumulates in our bodies.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
Thought this was really really interesting. As much as I love my coffee, I’ve actually been thinking of giving it up.

“Caffeine elicits widespread effects in the central nervous system and is the most frequently consumed psychostimulant worldwide. First evidence indicates that, during daily intake, the elimination of caffeine may slow down, and the primary metabolite, paraxanthine, may accumulate. The neural impact of such adaptions is virtually unexplored. In this report, we leveraged the data of a laboratory study with N = 20 participants and three within-subject conditions: caffeine (150 mg caffeine × 3/day × 10 days), placebo (150 mg mannitol × 3/day × 10 days), and acute caffeine deprivation (caffeine × 9 days, afterward placebo × 1 day). On day 10, we determined the course of salivary caffeine and paraxanthine using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. We assessed gray matter (GM) intensity and cerebral blood flow (CBF) after acute caffeine deprivation as compared to changes in the caffeine condition from our previous report. The results indicated that levels of paraxanthine and caffeine remained high and were carried overnight during daily intake, and that the levels of paraxanthine remained elevated after 24 h of caffeine deprivation compared to placebo. After 36 h of caffeine deprivation, the previously reported caffeine-induced GM reduction was partially mitigated, while CBF was elevated compared to placebo. Our findings unveil that conventional daily caffeine intake does not provide sufficient time to clear up psychoactive compounds and restore cerebral responses, even after 36 h of abstinence. They also suggest investigating the consequences of a paraxanthine accumulation during daily caffeine intake.”

Now I understand why Seventh Day Adventists do not endorse drinking coffee. That’s not an endorsement for the SDA’s but still it makes sense, at least to me.

Matestube

Well I agree…but if it’s actually harmful?

It's a trade off between how much damage it will actually do vs the quality of life it brings.
Overall having my liver work better and my mood be happier will have far more benefits than the potential slight grey matter decrease, whatever the implications of this may be.

Jo Ro

Like everything, too much is bad, and way to much can actually kill you.

Would anyone argue that water is good for you? I don't think so. But drink to much to fast, and you could experience Hyponatremia, leading to all kinds or problems like cerebral edema and heart failure, which can be fatal!

Take everything, especially medical studies, with a grain of salt, literally. Some caffeine isn't going to harm most people. Even regular caffeine consumption won't degrade most peoples' health. It's the same with many substances.

Example: Warafin is the #1 anticoagulant prescribed in America. It's also an effective RAT POISON. So, is it "harmful?" Yes, if used in for the wrong reasons in excess. Equally true, No. It's beneficial, even essential, to those being treated for blot clots and related ailments.

Take things in context. Beware of blanket labels of 'good,' 'bad' and 'harmful' and consider those wo do it. Sorry, but life isn't always so black and white.

tomisonbottom

Like everything, too much is bad, and way to much can actually kill you.

Would anyone argue that water is good for you? I don't think so. But drink to much to fast, and you could experience Hyponatremia, leading to all kinds or problems like cerebral edema and heart failure, which can be fatal!

Take everything, especially medical studies, with a grain of salt, literally. Some caffeine isn't going to harm most people. Even regular caffeine consumption won't degrade most peoples' health. It's the same with many substances.

Example: Warafin is the #1 anticoagulant prescribed in America. It's also an effective RAT POISON. So, is it "harmful?" Yes, if used in for the wrong reasons in excess. Equally true, No. It's beneficial, even essential, to those being treated for blot clots and related ailments.

Take things in context. Beware of blanket labels of 'good,' 'bad' and 'harmful' and consider those wo do it. Sorry, but life isn't always so black and white.

This.

And think for yourself. You can find a study supporting virtually any viewpoint if you look long enough. I used to get confused by studies like this and now I just pay attention to my own experience which has been undoubtedly healing when I use it right.

Caffeine used improperly (low blood sugar; too much, etc. = bad), but when used properly=practically life saving ..... my quality of life, production, dopamine, brain clarity, mood, gut health, happiness are greatly increased.
Not to mention it can not only have positive benefits, but eradicates/solves/cures problems in my experience.
Headaches, brain fog, digestion, bloating issues and many other things get fixed with proper use since it can act as a metabolism booster.
It's also the ONLY thing I've found that works for certain types of migraines; better than just about anything I've found in 20 years..

And beautifully; it also is one of the things my body has never adapted too; it's worked daily for 20 years and has been essential to my healing.

Last edited:

Matestube

This.

And think for yourself. I used to get confused by studies like this and now I just pay attention to my own experience which has been undoubtedly healing when I use it right.

Caffeine used improperly (low blood sugar; too much, etc. = bad), but when used properly=practically life saving ..... my quality of life, production, dopamine, brain clarity, mood, gut health, happiness are greatly increased.
Not to mention it cures headaches and bloating better than just about anything I've found. It also is one of the things my body has never adapted too; it's worked daily for 20 years and has been essential to my healing.

Spot on.

B

Blaze

Unsupported by science and certainly in conflict with Ray's ideas............one of the premises they are trying to discuss is not that caffeine is bad, but rather that in certain cases where the possible sleep deprivation associated in some rats and human individuals (induced supposedly by caffeine intake) could cause a reduction in gray matter volume. Highly speculative and questionable. They start off in their own paper saying it "might" have those discussed bad effects, only if or when it is a factor that happens to contribute to Disturbed sleep homeostatic states in an individual.

They also say this "calls into question whether the neuroprotective effects of caffeine found in acute or low dose administration" will offset the effect , so they at least are aware that caffeine is protective to the brain and it is the altered neuronal homeostasis and reduction in grey matter volume caused by poor sleep that is the issue. Not the caffeine. Poorly constructed flawed study.............

I would also dispute their contention that caffeine is protective only in acute or low doses. I would assert that it is protective in much higher doses also. Just drink it with enough sugar or calories and not alone. That way you avoid elevating cortisol.

Last edited by a moderator:

mostlylurking

DDRB

well, there is this tidbit:

Spiders exposed to caffeine​

Spiders who'd sampled caffeine made webs with disorganised cells'd sampled caffeine made webs with disorganised cells
Spiders who'd sampled caffeine made webs with disorganised cells
Excess brain stimulation makes the information flowing and its processing lose coherence, that's why LSD and all substances that mimic or increase monoamines drive you crazy and make you feel like you've become a 5 year old child.
But you can't say that humans are reactive to caffeine to the point of creating these kinds of problems, maybe even the opposite.

mostlylurking

Excess brain stimulation makes the information flowing and its processing lose coherence, that's why LSD and all substances that mimic or increase monoamines drive you crazy and make you feel like you've become a 5 year old child.
But you can't say that humans are reactive to caffeine to the point of creating these kinds of problems, maybe even the opposite.

Caffeine Blues by Stephen Cherniske - amzn.to/3eOCEb7
UK Royals Are Ancient Pharaoh's - bit.ly/3hlgLSr
Mind Control Documentaries and Discussions :
Out of The Shadows – bit.ly/2xolQrJ
Micheal Tsarion – Architects of Control bit.ly/2OzVM2U
Alan Watt – Cutting Through The Matrix bit.ly/2qcrNiz
Prison Planet – State of Mind – bit.ly/2QbnP91
Jerry Kroth – American Propaganda – bit.ly/2IDyJk7
Adam Curtis – The Century of Self – bit.ly/35kvaZR
Mark Passio – De-Mystifying The Occult – bit.ly/2PciPPe
Scott Retsima – Media on The Brain – bit.ly/2osR64p
CIA Mind Control MK-Ultra Documentary – bit.ly/2vi2d3F
TV Mind Control Documentary – bit.ly/2zRHyRH
Quincy Davis – Subconscious War – bit.ly/2BefCMd
Truth SteamMedia – The Minds of Men – bit.ly/2E1CygO
Interview with Chris Everard – bit.ly/2MuPj6O
Jordan Maxwell – The Naked Truth – bit.ly/1BuOYY6
Curtis Bowers- Agenda – Grinding America Down – bit.ly/3iLAY5w
Curtis Bowers – Agenda II- Masters of Deceit – bit.ly/320aFlV
Dr. Russell Blaylock Nutrition and Behavior - bit.ly/2E8z9Qb
View: https://soundcloud.com/user-50904611/podcast-39-jason-christoff-top-5-diseases-caused-by-coffee-and-caffeine

Benson_Hill

People are not spiders tho

Matestube

A

Adf

I'm interested to know, has anyone here who relies on caffeine for their current way of life actually tried to get off it for more than a month? Even if just to challenge and reset yourself.

I'm a caffeine addict myself for workouts, but my energy levels, mood, mental clarity and focus are simply so much cleaner and better after I've stopped caffeine for long periods. It can sometimes take weeks to fully get over the negative effects of caffeine withdrawal. On the other side of the withdrawal is what feels the most natural where my body is happiest.

Then that liquid motivation addiction starts knocking, especially for the dopamine kick after the first caffeinated workout after a big break. Then the cycle continues.

TheSir

Turns out that daily use of a drug leads to negative effects that take a long time to reverse.
Headaches, brain fog, digestion, bloating issues and many other things get fixed with proper use since it can act as a metabolism booster.
It's also the ONLY thing I've found that works for certain types of migraines;
Consider that all of these are symptoms of caffeine withdrawal.

Still one of the best substance for speed of thought, wittiness and organization.
I hope you're comparing to how you were before ever drinking coffee, rather than how you were feeling in between periods of use. I can hyperbolically guarantee that a person who has not ever used caffeine will think better, be more productive and more organized than a person of similar health who indulges in caffeine daily. On /r/decaf very few people will ever want to go back to coffee once they've gone 6-12 months without it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals