Your Biggest 'peat Diet' Mistake?

Peatful

Velve921

At the beginning I hammered milk, ice cream, and orange juice as my temp and pulse were so low. I developed the fear of low temp/pulse and the sense of urgency for immediate change. Therefore, I loaded up on calories and stopped working out completely. If I could do it again, I would start with the following:

1. I was lifting + hyperventilating activity 4 days a week. Instead, I would have switched to weight mobility activity 2x per week, and joined a team camaraderie activity like softball immediately.
2. I increased quality and quantity of Peat foods, instead I would have just started with switching quality.

I believe I could have controlled fat gain more efficiently and helped my body heal with more attention to mobility.

walker_in_aus

I ate unlimited quanities of food “because my thyroid needed a reset” - so I got real ******* fat. At least my waking temps are getting close to 98.0 F.

I ate a bag of candy everyday for three months because "sugar is good" and I got fat... BUT I also got happy :D

I put a large amount of Energin on my skin after a night of drinking because "B-Vitamins are good for hangovers" and I had palpitations for so long my chest actually heated up in relation to the rest of my body.

Expecting thyroid to make me lose weight but just getting fat.

BUT THE REAL KICKER - trying to move my period out a few weeks using progesterone and... getting pregnant...

schultz

Focusing too much on temperature and pulse. I don't find it helpful (personally). I stopped worrying about these years ago.

I also had a gummy bear addiction for a while. I'm a recovering addict. :eek:

lampofred

I was seriously losing it mentally, going crazy. It was really bad honestly. I now found out that coffee comes with the B1/mag/etc necessary to use it properly without neurological problems/high stress whereas caffeine pills will seriously deplete you

Nature was smart in designing whole foods for us :)

Man made refined pills screw it all up

TripleOG

I'm only about 6 months into a peat inspired diet. Some early lessons learned:

Too much fluids.
Eating too infrequently.
Too little activity transitioning to higher carbs and sugar.

Increasing activity has really helped. Long, low intensity activities. Just stuff to increase daily energy expenditure. Bought a semi-recumbent bike to cycle during computer use and whenever I'm stationary at home as well. Inspired by the numerous posters here flaunting their 3000+ calorie diets while maintaining or losing weight.

T

tca300

@tca300, Would you explain please why lower OJ intake would PUFA low? Thanks!
Pufa is in basically everything, when Im trying to keep it under .5 grams per day, I have to lower OJ intake to make room for liver. I dont think anyone should try what I am doing, its too risky if you dont get enough micronutrients.

walker_in_aus

Thanks Lisa, I guess it meant I was healthy...I have many friends trying IVF who are under 30, which makes me sad for them.

I just worry how many of my friends I see in total metabolic failure at my age who are all desperate to conceive who just get put on more drugs and have had no actual health advice. One was really lucky who had an endocrinologist who was quite aware the alternative health scene and referred her to a chinese medicine expert. 12 months later, naturally conceived twins.

She had been told she had PCOS and would never have children naturally by three doctors who told her to eat less and move more, which she did until she collapsed LITERALLY and had to quit her job.

I am so ANGRY for young women. Wrong thread to rant in, but there you go I ranted.

OP
mayweatherking
I ate a bag of candy everyday for three months because "sugar is good" and I got fat... BUT I also got happy :D

I put a large amount of Energin on my skin after a night of drinking because "B-Vitamins are good for hangovers" and I had palpitations for so long my chest actually heated up in relation to the rest of my body.

Expecting thyroid to make me lose weight but just getting fat.

BUT THE REAL KICKER - trying to move my period out a few weeks using progesterone and... getting pregnant...

Did u ever figure out why you were getting fat or what happened with the b vitamin problem

walker_in_aus

Did u ever figure out why you were getting fat or what happened with the b vitamin problem
Yeah I was eating an excess of calories, and suddenly a large amount of sugar, before my metabolic rate had improved or my body could use glucose again after trying to be ketogenic for years. I say "biggest mistake" because if you are careful about it you can eat at a rate that matches your improving metabolism and gain minimal weight. however I was mentally unhealthy at the time and chose to release myself from orthorexia (ALL SUGAR IS BAD) and just eat whatever I wanted guilt free. Has done wonders for my mental health, and as I have blogged I am SLOWLY changing body composition so upper body gained fat when it never had before. Boobs galore, even before accidentally getting pregnant.

B vitamins giving me palps I think is a common thing. I mean I rubbed a large dose of something called "Energin" on myself after consuming about four glasses of OJ and a few cokes... I guess they causes a similar thing to drinking too much redbull? B vits are for energy production, stoked the fire with sugar and caffeine, then I tried to sleep. How stupid could I have been?

tara

I probably don't know what my biggest mistake is yet, since I have not resolved the key challenge that sent me searching the Web in the first place.
And I'm not going to blame any of my mistakes on 'Peat Diet'. They are just mistakes, made with the understandings I had from Peat and all my other sources and my own confusions, some of which I learned from and corrected more quickly than others.

Some of my mistakes:
  • Probably, ate a bit too much refined sucrose for a while, may have contributed to worsened mineral depletion. (I was coming out of a very restrictive attitude to refined sugar for years previously - I may have needed to let that go - so it may not have all been mistake.)
  • Got an infuriating rash, first time ever, that took many weeks to solve - I suspect the above - mineral depletion from too much refined sucrose and not enough zinc and maybe other micronutrients in diet. Solved with small occasional zinc supplement, and maybe eating less refined sugar.
  • Experimented with coffee, which I'd never got into before, and found it better not to: sometimes short term relief, but overall worsened my key health issue.
  • Accidentally used the wrong measuring spoon and took too much niacinamide a couple of times - may have contributed to headache/migraine. (Solved by changing my measuring technique so I don't make that mistake.)
  • Allow wishful thinking/addiction/cravings to lure me back to too much dairy from time to time, even though it tends to make me sick.
  • Early on, tried lots of sour commercial OJ, and avoided starch briefly. Too much liquid, not enough food: hungry, peeing a lot, worse energy, not feeling good. Improved when I ate higher calorie-density, found a better OJ and added some baking soda, improved again when I ate more potatoes and other starch and drank less OJ.
  • Not sure about this one. Experimented with diphenhydramine (only a few times) and cyproheptadine (much more) to lower serotonin. Suspect I set up for worse rebounds. Gave up on them.

Andman

I meant when cutting to single digit body fat levels libido has always dropped off comparied to haveing a higher body fat percentage, and most experience that as well, but with what Im doing currently my libido is great, if not better than before I started my weight cut.

Just to clarify my PUFA intake is <1.5 ( most days under 1 gram ) not total fat. Total fat is usually 9-22 grams per day, which is still pretty low.

I would image most wouldn't care for the diet I consume, which is totaly understandable, but I like it, a lot.

2700+ calories when cutting to single digits, ***t im jealous haha ;)

where do you get your protein from? skim milk, gelatin ...?

Also, was there some kind of adaption phase when you started your diet or was it smooth sailing from the get-go?

T

tca300

2700+ calories when cutting to single digits, ***t im jealous haha ;)

where do you get your protein from? skim milk, gelatin ...?

Also, was there some kind of adaption phase when you started your diet or was it smooth sailing from the get-go?
I didnt drink milk or consume any dairy for about 5+ years, so it took a few weeks before the milk sat well with me.
My protein mostly comes from milk, oranges, and gelatin. Tiny amounts in other things.
If you go from a very liquid poor diet to drinking 1gallon of milk, and close to a gallon of OJ I think your going to have a period of adjustment, its too much of a change to not experiance things.
I adapted fine, some dont, and cant deal with that much liquid, most likely because in a low state of metabolism the body needs very little water, and as metabolism increases your needs increase. Most eat a bunch of salt and dry foods, avoiding liquids and experiance warmth etc, but they haven't adressed the low metabolic rate issue and are fooling themselves with mild or severe dehydration, which heats you up. The heart and respiration rate increases to make uo for a decrease in plasma volume and blood pressure, and the body temperature tends to increase because the body stops sweating.

_noozie

I didnt drink milk or consume any dairy for about 5+ years, so it took a few weeks before the milk sat well with me.
My protein mostly comes from milk, oranges, and gelatin. Tiny amounts in other things.
If you go from a very liquid poor diet to drinking 1gallon of milk, and close to a gallon of OJ I think your going to have a period of adjustment, its too much of a change to not experiance things.
I adapted fine, some dont, and cant deal with that much liquid, most likely because in a low state of metabolism the body needs very little water, and as metabolism increases your needs increase. Most eat a bunch of salt and dry foods, avoiding liquids and experiance warmth etc, but they haven't adressed the low metabolic rate issue and are fooling themselves with mild or severe dehydration, which heats you up. The heart and respiration rate increases to make uo for a decrease in plasma volume and blood pressure, and the body temperature tends to increase because the body stops sweating.

Do you feel satiated on a predominantly liquid diet?

Djukami

Bought a semi-recumbent bike to cycle during computer use
Do you put your computer on a table? There was one time I was seeing some FitDesk, but they are expensive as hell.
I mean, all stationary bikes are quite expensive....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals