Young Jedi

Luann

So. Denise minger brought me to the anti-unsat fat world and my first day on Dr. Peats diet was horrendous. I downed dairy: cream cheese out of a tub, whipping cream in my coffee, butter eggs, oh the glory. Later that night i identified dairy quite definitively as my primary migraine trigger. It was like there was a nail in my eye forehead area, my sinuses has almost audibly snapped shut, i cried myself through a sleepless night.
It was good to figure out the milk intolerance after 20 years of mystery pain (not including endometriosis, cystitis, and crabby moods ) that had resulted from milk intake. I did six or so elimination diets to confirm dairy as the trigger, and am very sure.
A few weeks later, recovered from the antihistamine (wiped my energy) and the headache, I am ready to try Peat again - with one restriction: NO DAIRY. Lol. Already can't believe I'm eliminating oils, PUFA oils and wheat at one go (the wheat was Minger's idea) and would welcome ideas on what to eat.
On that note,good to be here, good to be migraine-free, and feel free to say hi!

Almost all cream cheese has carageenan added which is one of the most important food additives to avoid in Dr Peat's opinion. It's generally recommended on this forum to reduce fat intake as much as comfortably possible, with dairy products being a potential high fat source. That said, I would advise you not to give up dairy prematurely as it is so nutritious. Lots of adults have trouble with milk, although digestibility can differ between different types of milk (everyone is different). Greek yogurt is another option you may consider, although it has a lot of lactic acid which RP calls a metabolic burden. Fage yogurt is one brand recommended a lot here. It can be extremely hard to find a cheese with the ingredients "milk, salt, animal rennet" which would be considered optimal, but I think regular cheese generally is fairly tolerated. Daisy brand cottage cheese is not contaminated with carrageenan or other gums so you may consider that as well. Hagen Daaz is unique in being the only widely available ice cream not contaminated with the aforementioned additives (I personally find it a delicious albeit high fat treat).

For vegans, RP says green leaves can replace milk as a calcium source.

All in all, I think the most important things to avoid in life are pufa, added iron, added gums, most pharmaceuticals, radiation... and tyranny.
Avoid these and you are way ahead in my opinion!

Lightbringer

Welcome :wavingyellow
I downed dairy: cream cheese out of a tub, whipping cream in my coffee, butter eggs, oh the glory
I think this is a common mistake that people make. Baby steps first.. If you want to avoid dairy, then eggshell powder supplement (google how to make) is a good way to get some calcium in. In terms of what to eat, there are lots of options to choose from but in general a gradual transition helps versus jumping right in.

Eliminating pufa oils is a great first step. There are people on here who do high fruit diets, some who do high starch, others who do low fat etc. The young jedi must find her own path :D

As a rough guide:
Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, and General Guidelines

An important thing to remember:
My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods.

DaveFoster

I don't think you can do a Peat diet without dairy unless you eat over 6000 calories of fruit.

Maybe shellfish, cod, liver, and fruit can give you adequate levels of everything.

That was more like pure fat than dairy...

OP
Luann

Luann

I recall Peat saying something about 'dairy intolerance can be overcome if the right steps are taken' so I may try to eat a little after I have been on the diet for a bit.
rob: cheese happens to be the one dairy food that doesn't bother me! good to know dairy fat doesn't need to be a big part of intake, thanks for pointing that out oh and GTK about Haagen-Dazs: was wondering what ice creams had no veg-oil or fake sweeteners.
thank you for your words of wisdom Lightbringer and the awesome link

Kasper

don't think you can do a Peat diet without dairy unless you eat over 6000 calories of fruit.

Maybe shellfish, cod, liver, and fruit can give you adequate levels of everything.

Well, Peat itself thinks a vegan diet is possible ... not sure if you talk about an other peat diet ... :rolleyes::D

OP
Luann

Luann

Haha, it was a very high fat day, maybe that in general caused the migraine, either way I expect less symptoms when I follow the advice to keep fats low and carbs high. Migraines, they're weird, sometimes they're caused by the randomest food: molasses hits me hard, for example.

OP
Luann

Luann

Actually, the carageenan in some milk and dairy may have caused some of my past headaches. That would be nice at least: it's a lot easier to go through life without carageenan than it is without milk.

OP
Luann

Luann

Again thank you all for some answers, and how many calories specifically should one take in on this diet?

My advice is to use a calorie calculator to find the target for your height/weight/gender, and try to start exceeding that by as much as comfortably possible while making sure not to slip under. This will tell your body that resources are plentiful and it's ok to raise your metabolic rate, then from there the key is to not miss any nutrients.

DaveFoster

Well, Peat itself thinks a vegan diet is possible ... not sure if you talk about an other peat diet ... :rolleyes::D
Like I said, you'd need high amounts of calories to meet your protein requirements (around 100 grams). You'd need just over 7000 calories of oranges to meet this; it's definitely doable.

OP
Luann

Luann

It doesnt seem like a good idea to go vegan, too much to miss out from that animals already digested / absorbed for you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals