YOU GOTTA LOVE MILLENNIALS

InChristAlone

Screen addiction is no surprise. It's immediate gratification over and over and over again. I was raised with the tv on all the time, I loved watching tv. Now I watch zero tv but I'm on my phone a lot.

Runenight201

Rising rates of depression, anxiety, and fatigue = declining vitality in the population, and incessant left versus right/young versus old bashing does nothing but distract people from figuring out the real cause of the problem. The issue isn't generational laziness as the older generations seem to think, since the vast majority of millennials I know are far more conscientious, hard-working, and moderate/temperate than their parents were at the same age. But the problem isn't poor parenting either as the younger generations seem to think, since it's not like parenting style underwent a radical shift in the previous generation compared to all the generations before it.

I don't think anyone really knows what the real problem is, but the rising disunity in this country definitely isn't helping us to get closer to the solution.

I'd have to disagree with the parenting claim. If we accept the fact that parents spend less time with their children, due to both parents needing to work to support the household, then add in the fact that the diet has been getting worse (due to less time to prepare proper food and eating the SAD), which leads to lower energy, what we get are kids who are shaped much less by their parents but rather by their peers and external environments. This leads to a departure from following in the parents footsteps, and also allows negative behaviors and attitudes to manifest and become a part of the persona instead of positive ones, especially since its much easier to be bad then good.

Throw in the rise of single parenthood, fall of community and third generation support (which I'm not sure if it ever was an American thing, so perhaps not that point) which leads to less energy directed at the upcoming generation on average, and we have a higher chance of unproductive and negative behaviors manifesting.

Throw in a rise in secularism with what I consider a lack of functional morality (although secularism isn't at all exclusive with morality) and the decline of the religiously inclined, which, despite all the criticism that religion rightfully deserves, has served to normalize immoral and selfish behavior.

Lastly, which we all easily agree with here, the poor diet and general malnutrition that the average American exacerbate all of the mentioned problems.

So I see multiple different reasons why the rising generation are the way they are.

We for sure need an increased focus on the importance of familial structures, moral education, and proper diet and lifestyle habits.

LUH 3417

Vaccines, orthodontics, similac, lack of sun and exploration of nature for kids in urban environments. I don’t think many women got epidurals during labor before the 80s

Hugh Johnson

Isn't the state of any upcoming generation a direct result of the educational and parental structures that went into raising them? In an extreme example of comparison, these videos are like making fun of the poor, uneducated, orphan kid for not knowing how to conduct himself in the world, when he was never given the proper inputs necessary to develop.

At a certain point there is a level of responsibility where an individual should constantly seek to live the "examined" life and consistently seek to improve, in whatever category that improvement may be, but if that individual is never given that proper foundational structure or "shown the light", then I believe it's a little unfair to draw these criticisms and expect that from them.

Of course, I don't think the average millennial has their head on straight, and I agree that this isn't a good thing, but I tend to look beyond the fault of the individual in cases like these and instead see it as the ill state our society is in where it produces individuals who act and behave in such a manner.

Every new generation has had it's criticisms from the older generations though, and perhaps there is a way to properly integrate the new modes of living that millennials desire, such as the freedom of "doing what you want to do" (generating income through social media) and also ensuring that economic development and prosperity is pursued as a society.

Some thoughts, go ahead and roast me as a millennial who can't take criticism =P
Yes our parents destroyed the society, economy, and failed to do any parenting. As narcissist boomers they are completely unwilling to ever take responsibility.

Hugh Johnson

Boomer detected. You people were born into a society in which a man with a high school education could afford a wife, a house, a car, a yearly holiday and healthcare. Where almost everyone was healthy, and which had functional insitutions. Of course, you people decided to destroy that society so only the top 10% have it as good as the regular person in the past had.

Herbie

Boomer detected. You people were born into a society in which a man with a high school education could afford a wife, a house, a car, a yearly holiday and healthcare. Where almost everyone was healthy, and which had functional insitutions. Of course, you people decided to destroy that society so only the top 10% have it as good as the regular person in the past had.

Im a millennial but I appreciate your sentiments.

thomas00

Mobile internet devices are the scourge of society. Now I have to be around people who live on social media and bring it's moronic memes and lingo into 'real life' conversations we're having. Of course they assume I know what they're talking about because they don't think it's possible for somebody to not be interacting with one of those apps 24/7. Video games, TV and internet communication have been around for decades. When it's limited to a desktop computer or a gaming console eventually you are going to want to get up and go do something else. Now people have no break from it.

Millennials are the IT nerd generation. As if thinking you were smarter than everybody else wasn't obnoxious enough, now you have aspirations to be part of the capitalist class via some useless app you made.

Obviously I feel sorry for them given the economic situation they've been handed. Just don't like the Zuckerburgs and Instagrams of this new world.

SaltGirl

My millennial daughter did ask me to text her first before calling her phone.

A sound plan when most solicitors are targeting young people. Also, if you are busy(work or school) it is good to get a heads up so you can be excused to answer the call.

As a 40 year old that tends to hang around quite a few 20-30 year old I have to say that this generation is more up to date on how ****88 up our society is and is willing to change it and go for progress. So of course they get attacked for that. No progress has come without a fight.

Regarding Millenials - a rather nebulous term describing a certain age group that differs wildly between regions - giving them ***t is the same thing as any older generation has done to a younger generation. The difference is that now we have media that is willing to accuse loudly their absolute contempt for young people which is only making them angrier and more willing to fight. I remember when they gave us - Gen-X - ***t for every single failing of society with equal amount of despair. Same ***t, different generation.

They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.

-Aristotle

johnwester130

50% of children are predicted to develop autism based on statistics

about 50% of the population will develop dementia and alzheimers

This has nothing to do with milennials and "boomers"

Society has a physical problem, and our culture promotes these physical problems

Hugh Johnson

50% of children are predicted to develop autism based on statistics

about 50% of the population will develop dementia and alzheimers

This has nothing to do with milennials and "boomers"

Society has a physical problem, and our culture promotes these physical problems
Really? No one caused these problems, and no one had a hand in dismantling the regulations? Was is God who placed glyphosate into the food?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
A sound plan when most solicitors are targeting young people. Also, if you are busy(work or school) it is good to get a heads up so you can be excused to answer the call.
It does make sense when you consider they have never really known a life before cell phones.

Sometimes I’d like to text my 72 year old dad just because I’d like to tell him something quickly but I don’t have time for a long phone conversation. I can’t though because he only powers up his cell phone in case of an emergency when he leaves home. I also wish he had a computer and email. It’s just the difference in our generations boomer-gen x-millennial but we all love each other despite our differences.

Nice Aristotle quote! The more things change the more they stay the same.

Elephanto

Millenials are the poster-childs of the Age of Aquarius. Reading about this sign could help you understand them, it's really about individuality, self-actualization and creating your own world. The fact that several of us were born during Uranus in Scorpio can also explain a lot of what is mistakenly perceived as nihilism. The placement refers to a rather chaotic revolt against traditions, which can either be very helpful or harmful to society. The #metoo movement which I think has permanently changed our society is typical of Uranus in Scorpio. Personally I'm rather nuanced and conservative on several topics.

Most memes and terms are coined and promoted by the people who control medias (the elites) who also believe in biblical prophecies, and the term millenials refers to the first generation that will be there during the millenia of Christ's reign. They indeed believe that we are in the prophecized end times. One of the most recent news about this is the birth of a red heifer in Israel.

Hugh Johnson

Millenials are the poster-childs of the Age of Aquarius. Reading about this sign could help you understand them, it's really about individuality, self-actualization and creating your own world. The fact that several of us were born during Uranus in Scorpio can also explain a lot of what is mistakenly perceived as nihilism. The placement refers to a rather chaotic revolt against traditions, which can either be very helpful or harmful to society. The #metoo movement which I think has permanently changed our society is typical of Uranus in Scorpio. Personally I'm rather nuanced and conservative on several topics.

Most memes and terms are coined and promoted by the people who control medias (the elites) who also believe in biblical prophecies, and the term millenials refers to the first generation that will be there during the millenia of Christ's reign. They indeed believe that we are in the prophecized end times. One of the most recent news about this is the birth of a red heifer in Israel.
Astrological ages last thousands of years and the transitions last centuries. This is non-sensical even from an astrological perspective.

yerrag

funny song, but the participation trophy thing is overblown IMO

I got participation trophies as a kid, and never cared about them. Threw all of them out eventually. It's easy to see they have no value when everyone is getting one. The actual medals/trophies that I won, I still have with me (I threw some of those out too though).
Don't worry about it. I didn't get any trophy, but I was told "good job" for showing up for a meeting at a Fortune 500 company! If a Fortune 500 does it, it's already in pop culture.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals