YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Combining milk and cheese with fruits adds to the antistress effect. The additional sugar and potassium and other minerals allow the milk protein to be used more efficiently, by moderating the secretion of cortisol, and helping to inhibit the secretion of PTH (parathyroid hormone ).” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Substances such as PTH, nitric oxide, serotonin, cortisol, aldosterone, estrogen, thyroid stimulating hormone, and prolactin have regulatory and adaptive functions that are essential, but that ideally should act only intermittently, producing changes that are needed momentarily. When the environment is too stressful, or when nutrition isn't adequate, the organism may be unable to mobilize the opposing and complementary substances to stop their actions. In those situations, it can be therapeutic to use some of the nutrients as supplements. Calcium carbonate (eggshell or oyster shell, for example) and vitamins D and K, can sometimes produce quick antistress effects, alleviating insomnia, hypertension, edema, inflammations and allergies, etc., but the regular use of milk and cheese can prevent many chronic stress-related diseases.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“..this study also shows anxiety lowering effect, better low at 3mg/kg mice dose than at 10mg/kg. but the difference is in this one they included an extra dose at 30mg/kg. which showed the effect is regained higher. so you go low or high.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The ingredients listed in my cottage cheese has lactobactillus. Maybe I should reconsider if it is really a healthy food….

“There's growing evidence that particular gut bacteria including Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, andBacteroides may be related to anxiety symptoms.”

Attachments

• F7988DF6-EF00-41CA-9833-512977B427AE.jpeg
    F7988DF6-EF00-41CA-9833-512977B427AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • F78EC422-079C-4145-8983-372D0A84A9DB.jpeg
    F78EC422-079C-4145-8983-372D0A84A9DB.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
Rinse & rePeat
With all vaccines cattle and other animals intended for food, are getting, I wonder what the repercussions are for eating those animals that are given these numerous vaccines?

“However, another recent report by Indian Express on August 31, 2022, said that The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) had indigenously developed the Lumpi-ProVacInd vaccine against the LSD virus that is affecting cows within four to five months. It also quoted Deputy Director-General (Animal Sciences) of ICAR, Bhupendra Nath Tripathi, stating," Currently, we are only administering goat pox and sheep pox virus vaccines. These are heterologous vaccines offering only cross-protection (up to 60-70 per cent) for cattle against LSD, by virtue of all the three viruses belonging to the same capripoxvirus genus."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Between the time change in California, the colder weather and holidays approaching, I have had some struggle with panic attacks, which gets me crying. This past week i have had so many ups and downs. I haven’t had the desire to cook much this year either, so I kinda rely on dairy, eggs and liver and have been remiss in eating seafood this year, and am now realizing what an important roll it has played in my personality this past 25+ years.

I am finding shellfish to be really helpful in helping with my crying attacks. I had steamed clams last night for dinner and my emotional state feels pretty healthy and normal this morning. I am really surprised at the difference. I am heading out to get some oysters for lunch today. The liver has been wonderful for my skin and hair, but without the shellfish I think it backfires and makes me feel too intense. The shellfish seems to be more calming….

“Dr. Drew Ramsey is prescribing his patients an alternative treatment for anxiety and depression that deviates from the standard Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa: oysters. Yep, we're talking about shellfish. According to the Columbia University assistant professor and psychiatrist, the popular dish can improve mental health.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“People who live in countries that eat more fish have less depression.9,10 The chart at left shows population-based levels of depression per country mapped to annual seafood consumption. Japan, Taiwan and Korea, all with high levels of seafood consumption, rank low for prevalence of major depression.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Fish is like a multivitamin for your brain. Fish is more than just an excellent source of lean protein and essential omega-3s, it provides other vitamins and minerals important for mental health. The nutrients that tend to be low in people who are depressed – vitamin D, magnesium, and zinc – are found in fish.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Recent research looking into GAD suggests that an imbalance of zinc (Zn) and copper (Cu), two essential trace minerals within the body, may be contributing and worsening the condition. Researchers of a study titled “Decreased zinc and increased copper in individuals with anxiety” used Inductively Coupled Plasma-mass Spectrometry (ICP) to measure trace minerals in 38 chronically-anxious individuals. They compared the mineral status of these individuals with the mineral status of 16 people in a control group without anxiety symptoms. They found that individuals with chronic anxiety had significantly higher plasma levels of copper and very low levels of zinc, and their anxiety improved significantly with zinc supplementation (2).

In other words, people who suffer from anxiety have way too much copper in their bodies, and not enough zinc. I used to suffer from GAD and depression, and increasing my intake of zinc, and limiting my intake of copper, is one of the most impactful actions I have taken to overcome them, so this makes sense to me personally.”

“Functional medicine practitioner Chris Kresser explains that copper and zinc are very important for neurotransmitter health, but zinc needs to dominate. If not, all sorts of neurological and behavioural disorders can emerge, including depression, anxiety and even schizophrenia. (3).

Too much copper can have a powerful effect on the mind and alter mood and behaviour. The accumulation of excess copper in the brain enhances the production of stimulatory neurotransmitters (epinephrine and norepinephrine), which can further promote anxiety.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• FDCFFE6E-5BE3-4321-93B2-89447913888C.jpeg
    FDCFFE6E-5BE3-4321-93B2-89447913888C.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 22
  • 54ADCB8B-0563-448A-8083-CD820F5FC9A7.jpeg
    54ADCB8B-0563-448A-8083-CD820F5FC9A7.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 19
  • A7ACDF23-490D-45A0-8F84-1596A76A2436.jpeg
    A7ACDF23-490D-45A0-8F84-1596A76A2436.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Gluten-containing cereals are a main food staple present in the daily human diet, including wheat, barley, and rye. Gluten intake is associated with the development of celiac disease (CD) and related disorders such as diabetes mellitus type I, depression, and schizophrenia. However, until now, there is no consent about the possible deleterious effects of gluten intake because of often failing symptoms even in persons with proven CD. Asymptomatic CD (ACD) is present in the majority of affected patients and is characterized by the absence of classical gluten-intolerance signs, such as diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal pain. Nevertheless, these individuals very often develop diseases that can be related with gluten intake. Gluten can be degraded into several morphine-like substances, named gluten exorphins. These compounds have proven opioid effects and could mask the deleterious effects of gluten protein on gastrointestinal lining and function. Here we describe a putative mechanism, explaining how gluten could “mask” its own toxicity by exorphins that are produced through gluten protein digestion.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“On a larger scale, our quality of life depends on our brain health. To live to age 90 but experience declining brain health starting at age 60 — which is when most people believe cognitive decline begins — is tragic enough. But the reality is that such decline begins much earlier: Studies show a slow decline starting as early as our late 20s and further decline in our 40s.

If your mind feels like it’s a wheel with a crowbar in it, you’re unlikely to achieve your goals. And mood disorders and other neurological conditions make relationships challenging, if not impossible. Someone with severe Alzheimer’s can be alive and lose everything that matters. The brain is the most vital part of what we know as life itself — even more vital than a beating heart.

Causes of cognitive decline are many, from lack of exercise to toxic food. In this article, however, we’ll focus on just one potential cause: gluten.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“We can measure gluten damage in the brain three ways: instantly, by observing radioactively labeled gluten causing brain inflammation on an MRI; in the short term, through brain lesions and blood flow abnormalities; and in the long term, as seen in many epidemiological studies.

For example, a Scandinavian study followed 2,427 kids — all with equal economic, social, and environmental factors — for 21 years. Five percent of the kids with celiac disease had university or college degrees versus 23 percent of the non-CD kids, and 28 percent of the CD kids were in managerial or professional positions versus 45 percent of the non-CD kids. The gluten-affected kids were also noted to have a “significant increase in disruptive behavioral and depressive disorders.”

Underachievement with a gluten brain is one issue, but mental health is a bigger problem, with the latest published studies bearing titles like “Gluten Psychosis: Confirmation of a New Clinical Entity.” Gluten psychosis — does that sound like optimal brain health?”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A study published in Nutritional Neurosciencefound that Aloe vera reduced depressionTrusted Source and improved memory in mice.

After carrying out experiments on laboratory mice, they concluded: “Aloe vera enhances learning and memory, and also alleviates depression in mice.”

Further studies are needed to establish whether humans might also receive the same benefits.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Serotonin, in turn, is a precursor to melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep–wake cycles. This is why a diet that includes bone broth and fattier cuts of meat can help prevent the depressionand beat the insomnia that some people experience when eating a diet high in methionine-rich lean meat and eggs.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Under the best circumstances, the level of zinc in any modern diet may be minimal, contaminated or downright missing. Hence the need for zinc supplements."

Signs of deficiency:
Stretch marks, brittle nails with white spots, brittle hair that lacks color, severe acne, irregular menstrual cycle, late puberty, painful knee and hip joints, cold extremities with poor peripheral circulation, poor wound healing, loss of smell and taste:

"(Zinc will not work without other nutrients, including vitamin B-6.) In our clinical experience, patients with loss of taste should be given B-6 for the first two days. Otherwise, zinc alone can increase hallucinatory experiences and/or depression. Patients with loss of taste are usually severely depressed, and for a good reason: the food they eat tastes like so much sawdust."’

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So I am having a tough two weeks for various reasons with unexpected bouts of crying. It really is an awful feeling and I really feel for people that deal with depression all the time, as this is new to me. The sun and grounding has been helpful, but with the colder weather I am finding that not quite as pleasant with the ground cold and the sun not in it’s usual accessible places in my backyard. I really think copper is a culprit. When I eat seafood I feel like I can deal with problems and sadness better. Remembering that MSM depletes copper it has been a quick remedy for making me feel better. I looked it up just now and apparently it is a good thing for depression!

“Mental normalcy in humans is demonstrated by alertness and an inner calmness that is not subject to sharp mood swings. What literature exists suggests that individuals on MSM generally report increased alertness, a plateau of mood changes, and very infrequent depression. A few subjects taking depression medication observed that MSM relieved their depression within hours rather than days, as had been their prior experience with the antidepression medication. Students report that while on MSM their ability to concentrate is enhanced. The most useful application for MSM seen to date in the field of mental normalizing is as an aid to the terminally ill to relieve anxiety and depression. Try up to 9,000mg per day to start, then taper down to 3,000mg.”’

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Earl Mindell says this about MSM and stress:

"While stress is often considered either a mental or psychological problem, it has very real physical effects. You’ve heard people attribute stress-related symptoms to "nerves”, and there’s no doubt stress usually affects parts of the body that are related to the nervous system, particularly through the digestive organs. As we learned earlier, use of MSM can be beneficial in many digestive disorders.

"I have a fish story to tell you. One stress study quoted in the literature for MSM involves 50 goldfish in a large aquarium. Half of them were removed and placed in a small aquarium (designated A) and the other 25 were placed in an identical aquarium (designated B). The fish in A were fed regular goldfish food and those in aquarium B received the same food treated with MSM. The fish in both aquariums were then stressed equally by manipulation of their confinement, movement, and temperature range. By day then, 11 fish died in aquarium A but only one went belly-up in the MSM-treated tank.”‘

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So I am having a tough two weeks for various reasons with unexpected bouts of crying. It really is an awful feeling and I really feel for people that deal with depression all the time, as this is new to me. The sun and grounding has been helpful, but with the colder weather I am finding that not quite as pleasant with the ground cold and the sun not in it’s usual accessible places in my backyard. I really think copper is a culprit. When I eat seafood I feel like I can deal with problems and sadness better. Remembering that MSM depletes copper it has been a quick remedy for making me feel better. I looked it up just now and apparently it is a good thing for depression!

“Mental normalcy in humans is demonstrated by alertness and an inner calmness that is not subject to sharp mood swings. What literature exists suggests that individuals on MSM generally report increased alertness, a plateau of mood changes, and very infrequent depression. A few subjects taking depression medication observed that MSM relieved their depression within hours rather than days, as had been their prior experience with the antidepression medication. Students report that while on MSM their ability to concentrate is enhanced. The most useful application for MSM seen to date in the field of mental normalizing is as an aid to the terminally ill to relieve anxiety and depression. Try up to 9,000mg per day to start, then taper down to 3,000mg.”’

Here is some further info on MSM that other brands don’t warn you about…

Attachments

• 4A94C9F2-3BEA-470C-A2C7-499D9C5C5A12.jpeg
    4A94C9F2-3BEA-470C-A2C7-499D9C5C5A12.jpeg
    820.6 KB · Views: 17