YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah :): I also want to start a thread about treating hyperthyroidism because I think it will help a lot of people. Frustratingly very little useful information about it here. People dismiss it as "hypothyroidism in disguise".
Do it! :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Per calorie, sugar is less fattening than starch, partly because it stimulates less insulin, and, when it’s used with a good diet, because it increases the activity of thyroid hormone.” -Ray Peat

L

Lord Cola

The carrot truly is special but you also need to have somewhat good digestion to begin with, in order for it to work as it should.

There are actually quite a few studies on carrot fiber.

- I get best results without adding any kind of oil, because I believe oils diminish the asorption capacity of the fiber. Just salt, lemon juice and sometimes fresh aromatic herbs.
- always on an empty stomach at least 1.5hrs before/after meals so that it forms a homogenous mass of fiber, sweeping the GI tract clean as it moves.
- largest, mature carrots are best according to a study
- baking apparently increases the adsorption capacity of carrot fiber, according to another study, so people who get GI distress from raw carrot might want to try baking them
- 200-300 grams, grated lengthwise and chewed moderately not too thoroughly

Antimicrobial activity of shredded carrot extracts on food-borne bacteria and yeast
Error - Cookies Turned Off

An investigation of the antibacterial effect of carrot on Listeria monocytogenes

Bile Salt Adsorption Ability of Dietary Fiber from Named Varieties of Carrot at Different Developmental Ages

The metabolic consequences of taking 200 g raw carrot per 24 hr

Cobinding of Bile Acids to Carrot Fiber

Sorption of bile acids and cholesterol by dietary fiber of carrots, cabbage and apples

A Method to Measure the Adsorption of Bile Salts to Vegetable Fiber of Differing Water Holding Capacity
What difference do you notice between eating carrots with fat and without?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What difference do you notice between eating carrots with fat and without?
I don't eat the carrot salad without the oil, but knowing how the carrot ribbons get stuck to my fingers before adding the oil, I imagine it would be doing that through the intestines.

L

Lord Cola

I don't eat the carrot salad without the oil, but knowing how the carrot ribbons get stuck to my fingers before adding the oil, I imagine it would be doing that through the intestines.
With oil it gets slippery and feels like it wouldn't bind much, but I don't know how bile would affect the oil bound to carrot fiber. For me, oil prevents the carrot from causing any scraping irritation, and I think it needs to be a little irritating that way to promote peristalsis. Recently Ray Peat recommended a small amount of oil (half a teaspoon of olive oil) and maybe one reason for this is that too much fat would reduce the effectiveness of the salad.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
With oil it gets slippery and feels like it wouldn't bind much, but I don't know how bile would affect the oil bound to carrot fiber. For me, oil prevents the carrot from causing any scraping irritation, and I think it needs to be a little irritating that way to promote peristalsis. Recently Ray Peat recommended a small amount of oil (half a teaspoon of olive oil) and maybe one reason for this is that too much fat would reduce the effectiveness of the salad.
Yeah probably too much fat might hinder it's action. I personally haven't noticed anything with the carrot salad as far as moving things along, but I sure have with artichoke hearts.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Recently, hot flashes are being taken more seriously, because of their association with increased inflammation, heart disease, and risk of dementia. Around the same age, late 40s to mid-50s, men begin to have a sudden increase of some of the same health problems, including night sweats, anxiety, and insomnia. In both sexes, the high incidence of depression in this age group has usually been explained "psychologically," rather than biologically." - Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Most supermarket meat is now packaged with thick diapers so the buyer won't notice that he is paying for a sizeable amount of pink water. The USDA has an internet site, and consumer hotlines, to inform angry consumers that they are mistaken if they believe that meat shouldn't leak. They explain that meat is now "bred" to contain less fat, and so it contains more water, and that it is simply the leanness of the meat that accounts for its poor flavor.

Before the slaughtered animal is put into the soaking solution to gain a specific amount of weight, the animal has almost always been treated in ways that cause it to go to slaughter in a state of massive edema. Even before the meat is soaked, the animal has been treated to maximize its water retention.

Muscle physiologists and endocrine physiologists know that fatigue, stress and excess estrogen can cause the tissues to swell hugely, increasing their weight and water content without increasing their protein content." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
In this interview linked below, RP talks about Russian scientist studies on learned helplessness and the nervous system controlling sickness. He says it like how "the doctor tells a person that they have an incurable disease and they pretty soon die." He says this is when insight becomes a life saving matter.

I have a girlfriend who was diagnosed with stage 4 breast AND bone cancer and was given 6 months to live. She was upset that the doctor would say such hopeless words and decided to get a second opinion at The City Of Hope. Her new doctor thought it was terrible for her first doctor to have said that to her and told her she has several years to live, and with those words of hope my girlfriend just had her 2 year anniversary from her first diagnoses!

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“2 Main Causes of Histamine Loads in Meat​

1. High-Stress Harvest(conventional slaughterhouse style) induces high stress loads onto the animal just prior to harvest. The stress hormone is called cortisol. Cortisol levels in the meat seem to correlate with histamine reactions when consumed.

2. The Average Age of “fresh”, never-frozen meat in the meat industry is 21-28 days from harvest to grocery shelf, never mind the added time spent on the store shelf and then in your refrigerator.”

“We found that the histamine in the brain was triggered by the inflammatory response and directly inhibited the release of serotonin, by attaching to inhibitory receptors on the serotonin neurons. These inhibitory receptors are also present on human serotonin neurons. So, this effect might translate to people.

"This work reveals a profound effect of inflammation on brain chemistry, specifically the rapidity of inflammation-induced decreased extracellular serotonin, and points the spotlight at a potentially critical player in the pathology of depression, histamine," the researchers write.

"The serotonin/histamine homeostasis thus, may be a crucial new avenue in improving serotonin-based treatments for depression."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Diet influences the gut microbiota composition, and only one food group, processed meat, was correlated with the four moods: positively with MF and PF and negatively with ME and PE. Only the Firmicutes genus Holdemania was correlated with processed meat.

“What you eat determines the bacteria and the microbiome in your gut,” said Dr. Ali Boolani, a researcher in the Department of Physical Therapy and the Department of Biology at Clarkson University.

“With this study, we have made an exploratory link between a person’s microbiome and their mood.”

“We know that energy and fatigue can be influenced by so many things like what you eat, your physical activity, your sleep, your chronic conditions or the medications you take for these conditions,” Dr. Smith said.

“Understanding how nutrition and malnutrition are linked to fatigue and energy is important because falls, chronic fatigue and low-energy can diminish the health and quality of life for older adults living with chronic conditions.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“Controlling annoying behavior has become the actual focus of their work, even when it’s achieved by using drugs that are harmful to the patients’ basic health -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Energy depletion leads to brain atrophy, but with normal stimulation and nutrition even adult brains can grow.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:
“Do you have any suggestions for ridding the body of plastics from water bottles and so many other things?”

RAY PEAT:
“The nanoparticles are permanent.”

Rinse & rePeat:
“Would donating blood regularly remove forever plastics from the body or do they get stored in tissues?”

RAY PEAT:
“They bind inside cells.”

Rinse & rePeat:
“Which do you think is the better choice, higher quality milk in plastic containers or poorer quality milk in glass containers?”

RAY PEAT:
“High quality milk is important. The plastic, high density polyethylene, is safe.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Limited data is available on the associations between vegetarian diet and mental health34. While some studies have shown no significant differences in depressive symptoms between vegetarians and omnivores5,28, our results more closely align with those that have documented higher risk for32–34 and more psychological symptoms associated with depression30,31 among vegetarians/vegans. The prevalence of participants who screened positive for potential cases of depression and anxiety (PHQ-4 > 6) was 5.3% in omnivores and 8.5% in vegetarians/vegans. However, we cannot make any assumptions about causality. Do more depressed individuals select to follow a vegetarian/vegan diet or does following a vegetarian/vegan diet increase the risk for developing depression? It cannot be excluded that nutritional status may affect brain processes and may influence onset and maintenance of mental disorders34.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When we talk about increasing the metabolic rate, and the benefits it produces, we are comparing the rate of metabolism in the presence of thyroid, sugar, salt, and adequate protein to the "normal" diet, containing smaller amounts of those "stimulating" substances. It would be more accurate if we would speak of the suppressive nature of the habitual diet, in relation to the more optimal diet, which provides more energy for work and adaptation, while minimizing the toxic effects of free radicals.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Transplanting fecal microbiota from young mice to older mice reversed hallmark signs of aging in the gut, brains, and eyes. Transplanting the fecal microbiota from old to young mice had the reverse effect, inducing inflammation in the brain and depleting a key protein associated with healthy vision.”

“Our results provide more evidence of the important links between microbes in the gut and healthy aging of tissues and organs around the body. We hope that our findings will contribute ultimately to understanding how we can manipulate our diet and our gut bacteria to maximize good health in later life.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You are what you eat, or don’t eat….

“Incidental stresses, such as strenuous exercise combined with fasting (e.g., running or working before eating breakfast) not only directly trigger the production of lactate and ammonia, they also are likely to increase the absorption of bacterial endotoxin from the intestine. Endotoxin is a ubiquitous and chronic stressor. It increases lactate and nitric oxide, poisoning mitochondrial respiration, precipitating the secretion of the adaptive stress hormones, which don't always fully repair the cellular damage.” Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals