YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Long before the Women's Health Initiative reported in 2002 that the use of estrogen increased the risk of dementia, it was known that the incidence of Alzhemer's disease was 2 or 3 times higher in women than in men. Men with Alzheimer's disease have higher levels of estrogen than normal men (Geerlings, et al., 2006). The amount of DHA in the brain (and other tissues) increases with aging, and its breakdown products, including neuroprostanes, are associated with dementia. Higher levels of DHA and total PUFA are found in the plasma of demented patients (Laurin, et al., 2003)." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
.This thread is interesting. Below is one of the forum members responses....

"If you are right handed you've most likely spent 12 years of your life over developing your right hand. One time i tried writing exclusively with my left hand in a journal and the thoughts, feelings and sensations that came up for me were much different from and more expansive than my typical right handing ranting. i think we have a tendency to focus on the brain's "hard wiring" and in doing so are prone to overlook the whole body intelligence that goes into memory, feeling and understanding. it is like talking about sexuality; is your sexuality solely focused on the genitalia, or is pleasure experienced throughout the entire body? when you experience wonder, it is not only a mental process or imprint, it is your body feeling sensations, too."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"One vegetable has a special place in a diet to balance the the hormones, and that is the raw carrot. It is so nearly indigestible that, when it is well chewed or grated, it helps to stimulate the intestine and reduce the reabsorption of estrogen and the absorption of bacterial toxins In these effects on the bowel, which improve hormonal balance, a carrot salad resembles antibiotic therapy, except that the carrot salad can be used every day for years without harmful side-effects. Many people find that daily use of the raw carrot eliminates their PMS, headaches, or allergies. The use of oil and vinegar as dressing intensifies the bowel-cleansing effect of the salad. Coconut oil is more germicidal and thyroid promoting than olive oil, but a mixture of coconut and olive oil improves the flavor. Lime juice, salt, cheese and meats can be used to vary the flavor." Ray Peat

miquelangeles

"One vegetable has a special place in a diet to balance the the hormones, and that is the raw carrot. It is so nearly indigestible that, when it is well chewed or grated, it helps to stimulate the intestine and reduce the reabsorption of estrogen and the absorption of bacterial toxins In these effects on the bowel, which improve hormonal balance, a carrot salad resembles antibiotic therapy, except that the carrot salad can be used every day for years without harmful side-effects. Many people find that daily use of the raw carrot eliminates their PMS, headaches, or allergies. The use of oil and vinegar as dressing intensifies the bowel-cleansing effect of the salad. Coconut oil is more germicidal and thyroid promoting than olive oil, but a mixture of coconut and olive oil improves the flavor. Lime juice, salt, cheese and meats can be used to vary the flavor." Ray Peat

The carrot truly is special but you also need to have somewhat good digestion to begin with, in order for it to work as it should.

There are actually quite a few studies on carrot fiber.

- I get best results without adding any kind of oil, because I believe oils diminish the asorption capacity of the fiber. Just salt, lemon juice and sometimes fresh aromatic herbs.
- always on an empty stomach at least 1.5hrs before/after meals so that it forms a homogenous mass of fiber, sweeping the GI tract clean as it moves.
- largest, mature carrots are best according to a study
- baking apparently increases the adsorption capacity of carrot fiber, according to another study, so people who get GI distress from raw carrot might want to try baking them
- 200-300 grams, grated lengthwise and chewed moderately not too thoroughly

Antimicrobial activity of shredded carrot extracts on food-borne bacteria and yeast
Error - Cookies Turned Off

An investigation of the antibacterial effect of carrot on Listeria monocytogenes

Bile Salt Adsorption Ability of Dietary Fiber from Named Varieties of Carrot at Different Developmental Ages

The metabolic consequences of taking 200 g raw carrot per 24 hr

Cobinding of Bile Acids to Carrot Fiber

Sorption of bile acids and cholesterol by dietary fiber of carrots, cabbage and apples

A Method to Measure the Adsorption of Bile Salts to Vegetable Fiber of Differing Water Holding Capacity

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The carrot truly is special but you also need to have somewhat good digestion to begin with, in order for it to work as it should.

- I get best results without adding any kind of oil, because I believe oils diminish the asorption capacity of the fiber. Just salt, lemon juice and sometimes fresh aromatic herbs.
- always on an empty stomach at least 1.5hrs before/after meals so that it forms a homogenous mass of fiber, sweeping the GI tract clean as it moves.
- baking apparently increases the adsorption capacity of carrot fiber, according to another study, so people who get GI distress from raw carrot might want to try baking them

Antimicrobial activity of shredded carrot extracts on food-borne bacteria and yeast

An investigation of the antibacterial effect of carrot on Listeria monocytogenes

Bile Salt Adsorption Ability of Dietary Fiber from Named Varieties of Carrot at Different Developmental Ages

Sorption of bile acids and cholesterol by dietary fiber of carrots, cabbage and apples

A Method to Measure the Adsorption of Bile Salts to Vegetable Fiber of Differing Water Holding Capacity
I am not disagreeing that oil diminishes the effects of the raw carrots absorption, but Ray Peat talks about coconut oil, as well as olive oil, having their own antibiotic effects. Also the oil helps keep the fiber moving through the intestines.

miquelangeles

I am not disagreeing that oil diminishes the effects of the raw carrots absorption, but Ray Peat talks about coconut oil, as well as olive oil, having their own antibiotic effects. Also the oil helps keep the fiber moving through the intestines.
That is true.
I am using it without oil because I'm aiming for maximum binding capacity.
Going through an episode of hyperthyroidism post covid, and bile acid sequestrants are effective at lowering thyroid hormones.
I wonder if it can lower thyroid hormones in euthyroid people as well? Maybe someone can ask Ray.

"The Use of Bile Acid Sequestrants to Lower Serum Thyroid Hormones in Iatrogenic Hyperthyroidism"
"Dramatic Response to Cholestyramine in a Patient with Graves' Disease Resistant to Conventional Therapy"
"Low doses of cholestyramine in the treatment of hyperthyroidism"
"Adjunctive bile acid sequestrant therapy for hyperthyroidism in adults"
"Role of colestipol in the treatment of hyperthyroidism"
"The Use of Konjac Glucomannan to Lower Serum Thyroid Hormones in Hyperthyroidism"
"Treatment of hyperthyroidism with a combination of methimazole and cholestyramine"
etc

Korven

Someone did their homework on the carrot salad! Thanks for sharing all of those studies, it is interesting that the humble carrot is so good at binding bile acids.

It seems like a lot of different fruits and vegetables have this capacity to bind bile acids, blueberries are another good one which I personally enjoy eating In vitro binding of bile acids by blueberries (Vaccinium spp.), plums (Prunus spp.), prunes (Prunus spp.), strawberries (Fragaria X ananassa), cherries (Malpighia punicifolia), cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon) and apples (Malus sylvestris)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That is true.
Going through an episode of hyperthyroidism post covid, and bile acid sequestrants are effective at lowering thyroid hormones.
I wonder if it can lower thyroid hormones in euthyroid people as well? Maybe someone can ask Ray.

"The Use of Bile Acid Sequestrants to Lower Serum Thyroid Hormones in Iatrogenic Hyperthyroidism"
"Dramatic Response to Cholestyramine in a Patient with Graves' Disease Resistant to Conventional Therapy"
"The Use of Konjac Glucomannan to Lower Serum Thyroid Hormones in Hyperthyroidism"
"Treatment of hyperthyroidism with a combination of methimazole and cholestyramine"
etc
Interesting question. If the carrot binds estrogens and Ray Peat also says to take it far away from food so valuable vitamins and minerals don't get carried out with it, then I would guess "yes" it would take EXCESS testosterone out with it. That would be a good thing for those with too much testosterone, and nothing to worry about for those without enough, since the body is already USING what little it has.

miquelangeles

Interesting question. If the carrot binds estrogens and Ray Peat also says to take it far away from food so valuable vitamins and minerals don't get carried out with it, then I would guess "yes" it would take EXCESS testosterone out with it. That would be a good thing for those with too much testosterone, and nothing to worry about for those without enough, since the body is already USING what little it has.
Well, yes. But I was mentioning thyroid hormones. People here are paranoid about lowering their thyroids.
I am using the carrot successfully to lower my thyroid hormones.

Korven

That is true.

etc

This is also super interesting, I never thought about the connection between bile acid binding and lowered circulating thyroid hormones. It matches my experience with more hypothyroid symptoms during periods when I have been eating lots of vegetables, beans and oatmeal. I guess there's a balance between eating too much fiber and pooping out all your beneficial hormones vs not getting enough and letting estrogen and fat-soluble toxins recirculate.

miquelangeles

Someone did their homework on the carrot salad! Thanks for sharing all of those studies, it is interesting that the humble carrot is so good at binding bile acids.

It seems like a lot of different fruits and vegetables have this capacity to bind bile acids, blueberries are another good one which I personally enjoy eating In vitro binding of bile acids by blueberries (Vaccinium spp.), plums (Prunus spp.), prunes (Prunus spp.), strawberries (Fragaria X ananassa), cherries (Malpighia punicifolia), cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon) and apples (Malus sylvestris)
Yes, it looks like both insoluble and soluble fiber can bind to bile acids, and some are "better" than others.
Ray seems to be fine with other fibers as well, such as wheat bran or oat bran, usually the cellulose type which is indigestible by bacteria.
Carrot is indeed special because it has antibacterial properties.
Among the fruits blueberries are probably great because they are also antibacterial and low in sugar.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think Ray recommends a medium carrot for the salad.
And a medium carrot weighs less than 100 grams.
This amount is probably unlikely to absorb excessively.
Yeah maybe that is the key, one or two carrots. He is is specific about the amount. Maybe too many carrots would be be counter productive. Good point!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think what RP says here about the carrot salad, at the end of the clip linked below, is why raw carrot is better. Unlike cooked carrot, which gets broken down in the stomach, the raw carrot has the ability to make it all the way through the digestive tract.

View: https://youtu.be/YYd1-4bsH2c

miquelangeles

I think what RP says here about the carrot salad, at the end of the clip linked below, is why raw carrot is better. Unlike cooked carrot, which gets broken down in the stomach, the raw carrot has the ability to make it all the way through the digestive tract.

View: https://youtu.be/YYd1-4bsH2c

Yes, that makes sense. The baked carrot study was in vitro.
Using coconut or olive oil is definitely a more sensible approach and safe long term.
It also tastes much better.
I experimented with 300g of carrot, and I can say 300g is quite a lot. Especially if shredded lengthwise, the apparent volume increases.
The effects are similar to a large dose of activated charcoal.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes, that makes sense. The baked carrot study was in vitro.
Using coconut or olive oil is definitely a more sensible approach and safe long term.
It also tastes much better.
I experimented with 300g of carrot, and I can say 300g is quite a lot. Especially if shredded lengthwise, the apparent volume increases.
The effects are similar to a large dose of activated charcoal.
Since you schooled me today on the subject, I am gonna keep mine to one or two now. Thanks for the value you have posted here today!

miquelangeles

Since you schooled me today on the subject, I am gonna keep mine to one or two now. Thanks for the value you have posted here today!
Thanks for bringing it up. Actually I had been wanting to post a carrot thread with my experience but I kept postponing it until you posted RP's quote earlier.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for bringing it up. Actually I had been wanting to post a carrot thread with my experience but I kept postponing it until you posted RP's quote earlier.
Ha! Ha! We are working in tandem, saving one gut at a time! ???

miquelangeles

Ha! Ha! We are working in tandem, saving one gut at a time! ???
Yeah :): I also want to start a thread about treating hyperthyroidism because I think it will help a lot of people. Frustratingly very little useful information about it here. People dismiss it as "hypothyroidism in disguise".