YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

E

eat my peat

Well Vegans are sweet for caring about the animals, but watching my son's health decline, being a vegetarian for 4 years and eating so much plant matter, doesn't prove that sacrificing ones health is right either.

I hadn't heard about a donated organ transferring allergies to a recipient. That's interesting!
Interesting thread. Thank you for sharing.

Always fascinated by the vegan/vegetarian discussion as the intentions are always good but from my understanding it just isn't optimal for health. (Tried it for almost two years and crushed me, lol)

Wanted to throw a question out regarding green salads.

I hear Peat speak against them in interviews but never heard an explanation why.

Is the reason because the raw green veggies will sit in your stomach for too long causing a release in endotoxin?

I hear Peat speak against them in interviews but never heard an explanation why.

Is the reason because the raw green veggies will sit in your stomach for too long causing a release in endotoxin?
I think it was in the "Safe Supplements" episode that Danny did with Peat that Peat mentioned something about this.

IIRC, the thing that sparked his initial interest in using carrots for sterilization was the comparison of leaving carrots and a head of lettuce on the counter. He noted that the lettuce was moist and would produce bacteria within a couple days or several hours where the carrot remained largely unchanged. He speculated that those same bacterial implications of the moist lettuce would take place in the gut as it transits through the digestive system... and that if the carrot wasn't exhibiting those same properties, then logically, it might combat any such bacterial issues that already exist in the gut.

OccamzRazer

Also of interest is the fact that the Torah/Old Testament speaks against eating strangled animals. Maybe a hormonal reason there...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting thread. Thank you for sharing.

Always fascinated by the vegan/vegetarian discussion as the intentions are always good but from my understanding it just isn't optimal for health. (Tried it for almost two years and crushed me, lol)

The PUFA's in lettuce are oxidizing in the sun is the biggest reason. Then there is the oxalates and the undigestability, roughing up the digestive track. RP suggest being kind to our digestive system so pretty much anything you wouldn't feed a baby is rough on weak digestion. I use to eat a lot of romaine, but now I heed his advice and ditched the salads and switched to using baby greens to add here and there to meals like beef carpaccio or to add some color to a dish. Their PUFA's barely have a chance to turn rancid and they are much more tender and easy to digest. It is all about strategizing. Vegan for two years ouch! Do you miss any part of it besides the salad? I love a good salad!

E

eat my peat

I think it was in the "Safe Supplements" episode that Danny did with Peat that Peat mentioned something about this.
Thank you for the explanation - appreciate it :)

It is all about strategizing
100% . I did like the therapeutic feeling of chopping up a salad and eating it right away. I suppose I get that same feeling from frying some steak/liver haha.

Do you miss any part of it besides the salad?
Honestly... I liked feeling like I was a part of something, you know? But funnily enough, I did it because I believed it was making me more healthy. I was never too fussed about animal rights, although it was a nice feeling knowing I'm not harming any animals.

But I feel most health gurus have hidden agendas. The raw vegans who tell you to only eat, 'raw living foods', coincidentally sell extremely expensive whole food supplements/online courses/retreats.

Why I love Peat so much is I just saw this well spoken man, sharing a sensible approach to health: produce energy as efficiently as possible with as little stress as possible. When he doesn't know something, he will just say he doesn't know. He has one product, Progest-E, which is noticeably effective (makes my sleep incredible), and just really seems like he has a really well rounded view on life in general. I also love the respect he is shown from everybody that has the chance to interview him.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for the explanation - appreciate it :)

100% . I did like the therapeutic feeling of chopping up a salad and eating it right away. I suppose I get that same feeling from frying some steak/liver haha.

Honestly... I liked feeling like I was a part of something, you know? But funnily enough, I did it because I believed it was making me more healthy. I was never too fussed about animal rights, although it was a nice feeling knowing I'm not harming any animals.

But I feel most health gurus have hidden agendas. The raw vegans who tell you to only eat, 'raw living foods', coincidentally sell extremely expensive whole food supplements/online courses/retreats.

Why I love Peat so much is I just saw this well spoken man, sharing a sensible approach to health: produce energy as efficiently as possible with as little stress as possible. When he doesn't know something, he will just say he doesn't know. He has one product, Progest-E, which is noticeably effective (makes my sleep incredible), and just really seems like he has a really well rounded view on life in general. I also love the respect he is shown from everybody that has the chance to interview him.

Oh i love Progest-E for sleep! I liked being a vegetarian, though fortunately it was for a short period. It was nice to not to ever have to think about the creatures I was eating, and the colors in the food was a delightful mental boost too! I love RP's because of how well he present his science, but also the foods he promotes are in line with our basic childhood instincts of eating, which makes more sense than eating raw broccoli, flax seeds and tofu. It will be a sad day, like Elvis, when he leaves this earth. Keep asking questions Mr. Bollix!

E

eat my peat

also the foods he promotes are in line with our basic childhood instincts of eating, which makes more sense than eating raw broccoli, flax seeds and tofu.
haha I love this. 100%. I have always loved milk. Now I can drink milk in peace.

How long were you a vegetarian and what made you stop?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
haha I love this. 100%. I have always loved milk. Now I can drink milk in peace.

How long were you a vegetarian and what made you stop?

I was only a vegetarian for about 4 months and ballooned up! So I went pescatarian for the rest of the year. I just didn't look ir feel as good as I had being on the Blood Type Diet. I only went vegetarian for my son's cause, being sympathetic to animals. I thought it could be a good bonding experiece, and it was. He quit with me, being at for 4 years his health was declining, with kidney issues from all of the oxalates.

Have you read my thread on "Calming Food Fears"? It speaks to going back to eating like we did as children, and like they did in the old days, when everyone was healthier and eating ice cream regularly.

E

eat my peat

his health was declining, with kidney issues from all of the oxalates.
Yikes. The harmful effect oxalates can have is often flown under the radar... Glad you both came out ok

Have you read my thread on "Calming Food Fears"? It speaks to going back to eating like we did as children, and like they did in the old days, when everyone was healthier and eating ice cream regularly.
Amazing!! Just read it now. Some beautiful dishes cooked and just love the simplicity. Ice cream for the win

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yikes. The harmful effect oxalates can have is often flown under the radar... Glad you both came out ok

Amazing!! Just read it now. Some beautiful dishes cooked and just love the simplicity. Ice cream for the win

Thank you! I miss those wonderful days. Food really was the fabric that happiness was built around.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"There are many ways to increase the water content of meat, besides feeding estrogen to the animal and soaking the meat after slaughter. Everything that causes water retention and tissue swelling in the living animal, that is, every kind of stress, fatigue, poisoning, malnutrition and injury, will make the animal gain weight, without consuming expensive nutritious food. Crowding, fright, and other suffering increase water retention and accelerate the breakdown of fats and proteins." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"For the last 100 years the most authoritative view in biology has been that there are no stem cells in adults, that brains, hearts, pancreases and oocytes are absolutely incapable of regeneration. But now, people seem to be finding stem cells wherever they look, but there is a mystique of high technology involved in finding and using them." -Ray Peat
Stem cells, cell culture, and culture: Issues in regeneration

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"As a profession, psychiatry has gone through several radically different theories of what “mental illness” is, with very little scientific basis, and their methods have changed, but the prescription of drugs has now become their main activity and livelihood. Controlling annoying behavior has become the actual focus of their work, even when it’s achieved by using drugs that are harmful to the patients’ basic health." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"We also wonder about the stress hormones (ethylene, etc.) levels in plant-based foods. It has been shown that ethylene—a marker of inflammation in our bodies—triggers stress response in some of the same bacteria that are commonly found in our gut. Stressed gut bacteria can activate stress in human hosts. Although generally regarded as safe, direct effects of consumed ethylene on the human body are poorly understood. It is noteworthy that, among other effects, the processing of food increases the levels of ethylene in our food significantly."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Prolonged exposure to certain patterns of polyamines might produce particular syndromes, but the mere fact of increasing the total quantity of polyamines in our diet is likely to increase the incidence of stress-related diseases. Experiments with cells in culture show that added polyamines can produce a variety of extremely harmful changes, but so far, there has been almost no investigation of their specific regulatory functions, of their "code."

Besides rejecting stale foods produced under stressful conditions, there are probably some specific ways that we can protect ourselves from polyamine poisoning." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The absence of cancer on a diet lacking unsaturated fats, the increased rate of metabolism, decreased free radical production, resistance to stress and poisoning by iron, alcohol, endotoxin, alloxan and streptozotocin, etc., improvement of brain structure and function, decreased susceptibility to blood clots, and lack of obesity and age pigment on a diet using coconut oil rather than unsaturated fats, indicates that something very simple can be done to reduce the suffering from the major degenerative diseases, and that it is very likely acting by reducing the aging process itself at its physiological core." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The old idea, "one is what one eats," has evolved far beyond ideas of simple nutritional adequacy or deprivation, and it's now commonly accepted that many things in foods have fairly direct effects on our brain transmitters and hormones, such as serotonin, dopamine, adrenalin, endorphins, prostaglandins, and other chemicals that affect our behavior and physiology." -Ray Peat

Here is a good video by Lokzo on seratonin.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBpfAQFRuM

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The scientific community has witnessed an exponential increase in the applications of graphene and graphene-based materials in a wide range of fields, from engineering to electronics to biotechnologies and biomedical applications. For what concerns neuroscience, the interest raised by these materials is two-fold. On one side, nanosheets made of graphene or graphene derivatives (graphene oxide, or its reduced form) can be used as carriers for drug delivery. Here, an important aspect is to evaluate their toxicity, which strongly depends on flake composition, chemical functionalization and dimensions. On the other side, graphene can be exploited as a substrate for tissue engineering. In this case, conductivity is probably the most relevant amongst the various properties of the different graphene materials, as it may allow to instruct and interrogate neural networks, as well as to drive neural growth and differentiation,"

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Toxic pesticides are found in higher concentrations in the urine and fat of slaughtered animals than in their livers, since the livers are detoxifying the chemicals and causing them to be excreted. Presumably, the animals' livers will perform the same detoxification reactions with the phytotoxicants that occur naturally in their diet." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals