yoghurt+kefirgrains= lactosefree?

Dutchie

After searching a bit on Google,I couldn't find anything on this (though I highly doubt I'm the first one to ever think of this.)

(free&too much) Fructose is a problem for me (for my digestion&liver),which is probably why I also don't do that great with lactose.
All cowdairy is a no-no for me and I currently only eat some semi-soft goatcheese and/or Peccorino (sheepcheese) with dinner. (...which the jury isn't out on)

Anyway,at the store I saw plain goatyoghurt and it lists the same amount of carbs (milksugars) as regular cowyoghurt.
So,I was wondering if I add kefirgrains to the yoghurt and let it sit overnigth then would the grains also eat up all/most of the lactose like it does in milk? and/or would it damage/kill the probiotic bacteria in the yoghurt...or would it make for super nutritious probiotic yoghurt?
(I'm aware that I could make kefir from goatmilk,but it's much more runny than yoghurt...it would be like eating cold soup in a bowl.)

Jenn

Probably easier to drain the excess whey off the yogurt, that is where most of the remaining sugar is going to be.

If you are digesting goat dairy easier than cow dairy, that is a protein digestion issue, not a lactose issue.

-Jenn

jyb

If you wanted to ferment a dairy product, for example cream, you would mix some of the kefir'ed milk without the grains and then ferment again, as the grains would go into some new fresh milk for the next serving. Half cultured milk half cream is like a standard "creme fraiche", it would be thicker if you put more than half of cream. The more you ferment, the less lactose until zero (and less of other stuff like growth hormones, which are degraded while vitamins are increased).

I am not sure if cultured cream (with kefir) would be as thick as yogurt. It could be. But cultures like viili are more suited for that and easier to use (no grains - just transfer a tablespoon of the current yogurt into new milk). A proper culture would last forever (like kefir), which is not necessarily the case for the dried powders you can buy and survive for only a just a few sessions. However I have no idea if lactose can go to zero for these yogurt cultures.

OP
D

Dutchie

@Jenn

That's the thing,the goatcheese doesn't seem to be too problematic but regular goatmilk is kinda iffy,that's why I thougth it's probably lactose in general.
Especially bc lactose and fructose malabsorption are linked to eachother and I'm not doing well with (free) fructose at all.
(I'm actually making a list of all vegetables,fruits,herbs,spices etc. and looking up their gluc/fruc ratio on Cronometer and once the list is completed go from there as my last desperate attempt to improve some things.)

@Jyb

Thanx,but goatcream is nowhere for sale here. There's actually little goatdairy to choose from,it's cheese,milk and yoghurt.
That's why I wondered if dumping the grains directly into the yoghurt would ferment as well. I guess,I'll have to just try eventually.