Yes, But What TYPE Of Vinegar

mariange

Hi All,

I've been using a balsamic vinegar that I had on the shelf for the carrot salad. And while it was tasty, I don't think (from what I can tell searching this forum) that balsamic is the Ray Peat preferred type of vinegar. As my bottle is running out anyway, I thought I would try to find out what I should buy next time around.

I've seen a few references to white, and a few references to apple cider (sometimes Bragg's, sometimes not). I guess I've always avoided white vinegar, thinking it was a grain product. But I went searching online, and did find some good white recommendations at Cook's Illustrated. Does anyone know if we're trying to minimize or maximize ethyl acetate content?

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastete ... docid=9999

Would it be even better to seek out a fruit vinegar?

Thanks for any input!

Mariange

OP
M

mariange

I don't know yet if it's a good reference, but just found a free Kindle book on Amazon called "The Production of Vinegar from Honey" by Gerard W. Bancks. I've downloaded and will provide some feedback if it's interesting.

Bluebell

I think that Peat recommends the basic white vinegar, and I think he says that the ACV with mother has possible fungal toxins in it.

I also wonder if there's a better vinegar to use than white.

Balsamic does sound good - a reduction from grapes - I wonder what Peat would think of that?

OP
M

mariange

I think the free Kindle book has inspired me to try to make a batch of vinegar with honey / water as the starting point.

If nothing else, it will be "interesting science." :D

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I like rice vinegar too. I also only buy it in a glass bottle.