Yep, Another Hair Shedder

davvid_1

Guys im shedding hair like crazy, never expected it to take such a damn toll on my confidence ! Lost maybe 70% of my hair, losing colour and it’s very thin and I’m 24. Receding hairline would be fine but to lose hair all over for 3years like this is shitty!

have been raising my cholesterol through milk and OJ for a while, got it up to 177 from 135. TSH is 1.36 from 2.4, I eat around 2,5k calories a day, mostly carbs from fruit, very little starch, broth, liver twice a week oysters once, carlsons Vit D supplement occasionally. Daily I’ll have some mushroom soup/raw carrot, or occasionally biosporin for my gut.

on paper I’m doing much better but in reality my hair is shedding as much as ever, have to use Nizoral occasionally else it gets super oily and itchy and bicarbonate doesn’t help much. I’m taking in plenty of sodium for prolactin and almost everything else this diet suggests, anything creative I could be missing? My scalp is super loose and elastic which is weird, makes me think this is more internal..Seems like my diet should be covering all main nutrients.

JKX

Hows your gut health? Diet sounds OK but at your age maybe a little low on cals. Calcium to phos ratio?
Sounds like you have had some blood tests done. Whats your vit D and prolactin? Have you had these tested?

mrchibbs

If your scalp is still loose and elastic, rejoice! You're probably going to reverse this easily. You're doing a lot of good things.

What are your actual vitamin D numbers though? Do you tan easily, get sunshine exposure everyweek? Do you have sports or another activity to destress and exercise your body? Do you like your life/what you're doing?

Have you been eating shellfish? The thinning and loss of pigment points straight to deficiency of zinc, and elevated prolactin. (zinc, b6 and vitamin e are the best supplements to lower prolactin) Find oysters, and mussels, clams, shrimps, etc. (Oysters are by far the best, you should eat lots of them, and you won't need zinc/mineral supplements).

alephx

Sun? Lifestyle, exercise? I know iron gets a bad rep over here but whenever I have a steak my hair grows stronger. Now just don't overdo it

sweetpeat

You don't list many protein sources in your diet. If that wasn't just an oversight, then consider increasing protein. Hair is made from it after all :)

Vinny

You don't list many protein sources in your diet. If that wasn't just an oversight, then consider increasing protein. Hair is made from it after all :)

OP
D

davvid_1

Hey, appreciate the replies!
my prolactin was 4.3 ug/l, vitamin D was 37 which is low so ive been taking some vitamin D 3x a week. I know my calories might be low but im completely sedentary as i have a lot of work, im 64kg and i feel like im forcing myself to eat more. i get around 120-150g of protein a day, 200g carbs.

if i don't have work im usually outdoors for hike once a week or every two weeks. I do transcendental meditation daily, and i eat shrimp or shellfish once a week usually. I usually tan pretty easily after 2 days in the sun. My s-phosphate was 1.25 mmol a year ago so ive been implementing the peat suggestions including at least a liter of milk, occasionally crushed eggshells.

not sure how to gauge gut health, i don't have bloating or constipation or anything like that, my bowels work 2-3x a day.

ill try ramp up my calories, last time i did this i put on fat.

Question, if cholesterol should be over 200 to start taking thyroid, but thyroid lowers it, what is a good healthy range for cholesterol to sit at to indicate a good amount is being synthesized, and converted to protective steroids?

marcar72

Guys im shedding hair like crazy, never expected it to take such a damn toll on my confidence !

Get some Oyster clippers and shave it all off a few times. Show that hair who's boss!! Then step out into the world completely bald with confidence knowing that placing your faith and trust in hair is totally superficial. Plus the weekly/biweekly head shaving should stimulate the hair you have left to grow stronger. :2cents:

JKX

Have you tried monitoring pulse and temps throughout the day? Are you generally warm? Hands, feet, nose, ears? Sleeping well?

OP
D

davvid_1

Have you tried monitoring pulse and temps throughout the day? Are you generally warm? Hands, feet, nose, ears? Sleeping well?

yeah my pulse is super low, can't get it above 70, usually 60 in the morning rising to 67 or so during the day, temp is slightly better but still under what we all consider normal. hands and feet are often cold so im working at this but my pulse is stubborn.
Nibbling on some t3 increases it but im trying to get my cholesterol up first.

revenant

For increasing temps you can try increasing salt intake (1 tbsp per day) and throwing in some niacinamide, aspirin and methylene blue. All that combined makes me sweat like a racehorse. Didn't make me thin though!

TheCalciumCad

I wonder if alot of people with Ray Peat Inspired hair loss are actually Iron deficient. Suddenly introducing a lot of milk daily which chelates iron, coffee with meat to limit its absorption along with increased demands for iron from a more stimulated metabolism could maybe create a deficiency not to mention loading up with aspirin.

Ableton

I wonder if alot of people with Ray Peat Inspired hair loss are actually Iron deficient. Suddenly introducing a lot of milk daily which chelates iron, coffee with meat to limit its absorption along with increased demands for iron from a more stimulated metabolism could maybe create a deficiency not to mention loading up with aspirin.
Aspirin and milk chelate iron?

TheCalciumCad

Aspirin and milk chelate iron?
Yep aspirin chelates iron and foods like eggs/dairy also inhibit absorption like coffee does, coffee supposedly inhibits up to 80% of iron from food. Dairy does it via lactoferrin and calcium which compete with iron for absorption.

Young women get hair loss from being iron deficient via poor diet choices mixed with menstruation so maybe going a bit too hardcore on the iron avoidance could replicate the same effect in young men.

Ableton

Yeah I know, I was anemic and immediately felt better after 2 days of iron supplementation.
I am consuming all of this regularly (although I do not do it for iron limiting purposes and never have coffee with my liver)
So maybe I should keep popping some iron pills here and there

OP
D

davvid_1

Hey guys i have another question since im new here. Seems like a lot of members 'listen to their bodies' quite well.
I never seem to have constipation or diarrhea, gas or whatever, guess it happens occasionally at random, but if it happens do you link that with the most recent thing you ate as being the definite cause?

I struggle to understand what people mean by 'this irritates my intestine' etc