Yep, Another Hair Shedder

OP
D

davvid_1

Hey everyone and anyone who has some time on their hands, going to provided some more info about myself in hope of someone being able to offer some advise!
I increased my calories by 1500 past 3 weeks and nothing changed, felt more sluggish, and am force feeding myself, so ive brought back down to 2500ish. I struggle to eat more than 2500 calories, im totally sedentary, I go for a beautiful but mild hike once or twice a week in the sun.

My diet includes:
200g liver once a week, 6 fresh oysters once a week, maybe shrimp or mussels once a week, around 100-150g of red meat every day, 1L whole milk, 1L fresh OJ, other carbs come from white rice or GF pasta. Usually a carrot salad w/ coconut oil or mushroom soup with cream.

Blood test from Feb 2019 (when my shedding and dandruff was worse):
Vit D: 37ng/ml
TSH: 1.83
Prolactin: 4.3 ug/L ref: 2.6-13
S-Albumin: 48 g/L
S-Cholesterol 3.5
S-Phosohate: 1.25
DHEAS: 6.2 mol/L ref 5.6 - 13.4
Progesterone: 2 mol/L
PTH: 39pg/ml ref 15.2- 66

Recent bloods June 2020:
TSH 1.36
S- Cholesterol 4.6nmol/L/177 (have been cutting starches and eating more milk and OJ)
S-LDL: 2.9nmol/L ref: <3
S-HDL: 1.1 ref: >11

Ive been nibbling on 10mg of T3 every day with food for 7 months. Have tried wilsons protocol with sustained release all the way up to 85mg twice a day last year. The thyroid helps with the dandruff slightly and reduces the shedding bit, but not enough to stop it accelerating, as it still is. I take occasional Vit D, and 300mg aspirin. Waking oral temp is 97.5ish, rises to 98.3 throughout the day, pulse struggles to get over 70, waking is closer to 60.

The hair loss started when I was 21, i was rather obsessed with gyming and bulking so was eating a lot of protein, shakes etc. 2 years later during my uni years I wasn't particularly healthy, underfed myself, binged on alcohol, even tried intermittent fasting for 3 months, but always maintained a relatively ok diet of meat, potatoes, lentils, rice etc. Had noted my hair was going but didn't take it seriously..then my shedding really accelerated. 2018-2019 i was shedding 200+ hairs in the shower, a quick run of my hand would loosen 10+ hairs plus dandruff. Then i found Danny roddy and RP and started some thyroid. After all this, i still lose 8+ hairs after running a hand through, at least 50-100 hairs in the shower. Ive attached a picture!

Weirdly when I visit family friends in bahrain, in the shower sometimes i don't shed more than 10/20 hairs! Could it be the heat keeping up my temps? The water? (ive tried washing my hair with drinking water, no change)
Some other symptoms: when i don't take some thyroid i find i get light headed when i stand quite easily (adrenal stress?), i couldn't tolerate alcohol very well, would always feel sick before i got tooo drunk, got terrible hangovers characterized by terrible nausea! could this be blood sugar related? Sometimes when i smoked too much i would get hot/cold flush, sweats and nausea. Is this a low blood sugar attack?
I suffered from migraines as a kid after 16 yrs old. About once a month for 2-3 years, they've eased abit now and maybe once a year, thyroid seems to help. I had very frequent tonsil infections so had them removed. Developed a mild allergy to some pets at this time too. I never have any gut symptoms, no gas or anything, bowels move 2-3x a day. Low fat milk gives me diarrhea. Ive also had on and off testicle pain for over a year, have gotten it checked 3x and ultrasound and its fine, is this attributed to inflammation?

My only leads are that i had low cholesterol, so Ive been raising it while keeping the T3 dose low, my Red cell tests are messed up because i have the thalassemia trait. i have very high red cell count, low cell volume but enlarged red cell width, one of these alone are attributed to some type of anemia but together it becomes a paradox of both microcytic and megaloblastic anemia. Don't know what to make of that, always a dead end. Only other lead is my b12 is slightly elevated at 550 pmol. looking into that (hoping its as easy as a b1 deficiency).

Sorry that was long, am being thorough for anyone with some time on their hands. Appreciate this forum and all who post!

36fbd8cd-0a6f-4387-bbb3-700ec8fd6394.jpg

Last edited:

GreekDemiGod

@davvid_1 I would double or triple that Aspirin dose easily. 1g of Aspirin totally halts any shedding for me.
Also if you're taking T3, not increasing calories is a no-go.

rei

I would not limit starches, especially when doing thyroid. You need something less volatile than sugar to sustain it unless you are in good shape and can easily build up and break down glycogen.

I would suggest try adding well cooked potato, preferentially mashed and mixed with some butter or tallow and salt.

OP
D

davvid_1

Thanks! will up the aspirin dose, only been avoiding starch short term to get my cholesterol up, I normally enjoy potatoes.
Just find it weird the shedding is so severe at a young age with semi-decent thyroid, lowish prolactin and good diet.

Might my symptoms sound like a glucose metabolism problem?

Diogo

Guys im shedding hair like crazy, never expected it to take such a damn toll on my confidence ! Lost maybe 70% of my hair, losing colour and it’s very thin and I’m 24. Receding hairline would be fine but to lose hair all over for 3years like this is shitty!

have been raising my cholesterol through milk and OJ for a while, got it up to 177 from 135. TSH is 1.36 from 2.4, I eat around 2,5k calories a day, mostly carbs from fruit, very little starch, broth, liver twice a week oysters once, carlsons Vit D supplement occasionally. Daily I’ll have some mushroom soup/raw carrot, or occasionally biosporin for my gut.

on paper I’m doing much better but in reality my hair is shedding as much as ever, have to use Nizoral occasionally else it gets super oily and itchy and bicarbonate doesn’t help much. I’m taking in plenty of sodium for prolactin and almost everything else this diet suggests, anything creative I could be missing? My scalp is super loose and elastic which is weird, makes me think this is more internal..Seems like my diet should be covering all main nutrients
"I´m taking in plenty of sodium" I also started shedding like crazy when I started taking Sodium Bicarbonate(same amounts as the athletes).

It stopped one week or so after I stopped taking it.

Just my two cents

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals