Xenforo Suggestions, Bugs, Let's Make It Better Thread!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Making this thread so you can voice your suggestions on how to make Xenforo better. And if you find any bugs lemme know. :pigeon:

onioneyedox

Overall, I'm starting to like this, even though I have personal open source bias. Feels faster to browse, and Casual theme is rather pleasant to my eyes.

Just few minor things:

Portal/forum separation was good on phpBB, now it seems that there is no separate forum main page, only section of page in "forums" page. It feels bit cluttered when trying to find particular subforum to post, for example.

The subforum tabs are little bit bugged on that page, no big deal, but eventually maybe sort that out. (they move around when clicking on different tabs, or is it just me?)

Is Similar Threads needed or useful, maybe make it smaller? Does it make pages load slower? I don't remember ever using it myself. (I think it was on old forums as well)

I more of a lurker myself, so I would not mind if reply box was replaced with button instead. (I don't know the technicalities or other people's preferences but maybe the element could slide to view when a button is pressed.)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Feels faster to browse, and Casual theme is rather pleasant to my eyes.
Definitely faster, and I am also really liking the Casual theme.

Xenforo is also a lot easier and faster to use for us moderators, quite the upgrade for us. And for the Admin section, its also a huge ugrade. Win win win! :D

Portal/forum separation was good on phpBB, now it seems that there is no separate forum main page, only section of page in "forums" page. It feels bit cluttered when trying to find particular subforum to post, for example.
I agree and am trying to figure a way to make this better.

Is Similar Threads needed or useful, maybe make it smaller? Does it make pages load slower? I don't remember ever using it myself. (I think it was on old forums as well)
I think it should be useful. I will drop it down to 5 results. No I do not think it makes the pages load slower. Yes we did have it on the old forum and I did use it at times.

I more of a lurker myself, so I would not mind if reply box was replaced with button instead. (I don't know the technicalities or other people's preferences but maybe the element could slide to view when a button is pressed.)
I will keep an eye out for something like this.

dd99

I have noticed two things I would change - but I'm not sure if it's from my incompetence or the software.

The old forum alerts would lose their bold when you'd read them. Here, I can't immediately see if the alerts are 'fresh'.

Also, when I click a link via alerts or the forum, the old site would take me to my last read location. This one takes me to the start of the thread.

Is it just me and my incompetence? Is there a setting I can change?

Amazoniac

Charlie, thank you for the upgrade.

A suggestion: it would be nice if the quotation boxes expanded automatically if there's no text outside of the brackets, meaning that there's no reply; the quote is the reply. But perhaps I just haven't figured out how to use them properly..
Another suggestion is to create a pimp smiley using the shurtcut : pboy

800mRepeats

Agree with dd99 regarding a way to get to the last read post.
And/or a way to jump to the last post in a thread.
MTA: I see now that one can jump to the last post by clicking the last post time stamp. But, it appears this is only available when logged in.

Another issue related to picking up where one left off or finding what's new: It would be helpful if the post date/time was listed at the beginning of each post instead of the end. Not a big deal when reading on a big screen; but, when reading on a phone, it requires a lot of scrolling to get to the time stamp.

Signed,
An Avid Lurker

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

dd99

Hiya, I've noticed that when I click alerts, it marks all of the threads with alerts as read, so I lose track of which ones I've read. Is it possible to prevent alerts from doing that?

dd99

Hiya, I've noticed that when I click alerts, it marks all of the threads with alerts as read, so I lose track of which ones I've read. Is it possible to prevent alerts from doing that?
Ive still got this issue. Does anyone have a solution?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ive still got this issue. Does anyone have a solution?
I thought it was working as designed but will look into it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

dd99

Thanks for looking into it, but I still have this problem. When I click on alerts, my unread threads are yellow. About two seconds later, all of them are cleared and revert to the 'read' colour.

I have tried this on my mobile, iPad, and work and home PCs. Same issue everywhere.

Is there a setting I need to select?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

dd99

It works exactly as designed.
I don't understand. Are you saying it is designed to mark all alerts as read when you click alerts, regardless of whether or not you've read the thread? Or are you saying that it works for everyone else except me?

Look, I was just reporting a bug, I don't mean to hassle or create work for you. I can live with not being able to keep track of which posts I have read.

Thanks for your help.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Are you saying it is designed to mark all alerts as read when you click alerts, regardless of whether or not you've read the thread?
Yes. :)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Funding needed:

I continue to move forward on optimizing the server and forum. Taking a break from the server now, I am back to the forum and have found the next step that will help a lot. Optimizing all images including avatars, attachments, etc. The benefits are:

-Faster site download. Most bandwidth comes from images.
-Less bandwidth usage
-Less costs on doing backups since I pay for bandwidth and disk usage
-Less SSD space used. Since we are paying a premium for disk space now, this is yuuuuge.
-Less costs for CDN(content delivery network)

I have found an addon that will take care of this automatically. It has excellent reviews and the case studies of how much disk space was saved is incredible. SSD disk space is not cheap.

GoodForNothing Kraken

If you would like to help the forum and buy this addon, the cost is $25. You would pay via paypal directly to the developer of the addon. Send me a PM if you can help.

-----------------
There is also one other addon I would like to have, that would make my job easier and faster. The cost is only $10 and again you can send the funds directly to the developer.

Admin Center 1.1.0 | Pixel Exit - XenForo Styles and Add-ons

Appreciate any help I can get on these. :hattip

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This has been covered. Thank you!!! :grouphug

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals