WWII Soldiers Ate Peaty And Low(ish) A

gaze

K-ration - Wikipedia

If you read the “menu” section, it lays out what they ate.

Some interesting notes:
- they ate zero vegetables besides carrots
- lots of coffee, dehydrated milk
- lowish A besides some eggs cheese and OJ,
- chocolate
- plain sugar/caramel

Crazy how fitness recommendations have changed over the years. Imagine if the greatest generation was fed flax seeds kale and salmon instead. the whole outcome of the war could have changed.

Kartoffel

K-ration - Wikipedia

Some interesting notes:
- chocolate
- plain sugar/caramel

Crazy how fitness recommendations have changed over the years. Imagine if the greatest generation was fed flax seeds kale and salmon instead. the whole outcome of the war could have changed.

Lol. Most of the Grant Genereux disciples would faint just at the thought of all the poison A in those foods. Do you know how much betapoisonin is in one carrot? Eggs are not foods, they are poisonous junk. And do you know what all the stearic acid does in combination with retinol? And have you any idea how much retinoic acid can hide in one molecule of casein? Good guy Garrett Smith would be ashamed of your ignorance!
You should read all of @Vinero posts to educate yourself - or just one, they all say the same .

OP
G

gaze

Lol. Most of the Grant Genereux disciples would faint just at the thought of all the poison A in those foods. Do you know how much betapoisonin is in one carrot? Eggs are not foods, they are poisonous junk. And do you know what all the stearic acid does in combination with retinol? And have you any idea how much retinoic acid can hide in one molecule of casein? Good guy Garrett Smith would be ashamed of your ignorance!
You should read all of @Vinero posts to educate yourself - or just one, they all say the same .

Hence why I said lowISH not low or none. And relax man, clearly however “poisonous” the little amount of vitamin A was it didn’t seem to matter.

Edit: just realized the sarcasm. my senses are not 100% from my HYPO. apologies

Last edited:

lampofred

Damn. I really need to get my calories up. People were eating more under ration than I do normally.

kyle

almost all soldiers questioned in infantry, engineer, and other mobile forward units said they had lost weight since the beginning of the Italian campaign. Surgeons commented upon a noticeable decrease in body fat and wasting of muscle, requiring copious feeding and rest, as well as ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

No doubt from detoxing vit A. :lol:

tankasnowgod

Damn. I really need to get my calories up. People were eating more under ration than I do normally.

The K Ration was intended for soldiers in combat. This didn't reflect what those in countries rationing food might have eaten.

tankasnowgod

K-ration - Wikipedia

Some interesting notes:
- chocolate
- plain sugar/caramel

There is nothing in Peat's writings to suggest avoiding Vitamin A in general. That's someone else's theory entirely.

And you forgot the most important and sought after feature of the K Ration- The 4 pack of cigarettes.

OP
G

gaze

There is nothing in Peat's writings to suggest avoiding Vitamin A in general. That's someone else's theory entirely.

And you forgot the most important and sought after feature of the K Ration- The 4 pack of cigarettes.

I know. I wasn’t trying to associate Peat with Low A. Simply saying it’s peaty without going overboard on A which seems to de rail some people on the stereotypical peat recommendations. kind of a mix between both. Also, if both WW2 soldiers and Travis smoke, it might be time to pick up smoking:D

nbznj

It looks like the 2830kcal total (80g of protein!) wasn’t enough for the war zone due to all the extra activity (and stress?) but still good enough for some serious activity level by modern sedentary standards

Marching was done [...] only on flat or gently rolling terrain on cleared roads, for an average of only 11 miles (18 km) per day.

People overestimate their TDEE thusly overeating like crazy.

OP
G

gaze

It looks like the 2830kcal total (80g of protein!) wasn’t enough for the war zone due to all the extra activity (and stress?) but still good enough for some serious activity level by modern sedentary standards

People overestimate their TDEE thusly overeating like crazy.

yea, honestly they probably needed double the calories. No way someone can fight in a war zone on 2800 calories. Many reports say they lost way too much weight, and things like beri beri from vitamin b deficiency, which is probably from underrating.

Herbie

I read the K rations. Does anyone feel they would thrive on this diet? Could you be sustained on this during war?

OP
G

gaze

I read the K rations. Does anyone feel they would thrive on this diet? Could you be sustained on this during war?

considering how bad my diet was growing up , yes. the stress of war would definitely tank my thyroid though.

Spondive

ww1 - rations included cheese, tea, jam, sugar, salt and condensed milk, fatty meat like corned beef or bacon, dried potatoes, oats, barley

LeeLemonoil

What made the poor guys that had to see fighting action in WW2 the „greatest generation“?
Post-war glorification.
I say guys in the 1750s, 1430s and especially around 900 would wipe the floor with those!

Herbie

What made the poor guys that had to see fighting action in WW2 the „greatest generation“?
Post-war glorification.
I say guys in the 1750s, 1430s and especially around 900 would wipe the floor with those!

Do you know what rations they would have had in those days?

K-ration - Wikipedia

Some interesting notes:
- chocolate
- plain sugar/caramel

Indeed, the k-ration does seem to have many peaty things. Adding some liver would be even better.

Haha, kale and flax sure would have produce extremely bad results. A bunch of fiber and omega-3s, lectins as well...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom