WTF Is PPARΨ?

noordinary

Okay, I'll admit that cloud punctuation is somewhat . . . whimsical — However! we don't yet have a conventional symbol to punctuate thoughts. Historically, the amount of conventional typographical symbols was limited by the printing press but today we have no such restrictions: we have thousands of glyphs to choose from—our modern HTML toolbox. The cloud, be whatever its shortcomings, is an intuitive thought symbol.

The only new typographical symbol of the computer age seems to be the interrobang (‽), and I think we could use about three more. Perhaps I'll start petitioning the computer programmers so we can get these two.
LOL you don't need to petition us ("computer programmers"): you just need to submit your proposal to Unicode
Submitting Character Proposals
After (if) approved you will need start harassing your favorite font's owners asking to add it.

Okay, I'll admit that cloud punctuation is somewhat . . . whimsical — However! we don't yet have a conventional symbol to punctuate thoughts. Historically, the amount of conventional typographical symbols was limited by the printing press but today we have no such restrictions: we have thousands of glyphs to choose from—our modern HTML toolbox. The cloud, be whatever its shortcomings, is an intuitive thought symbol.

The only new typographical symbol of the computer age seems to be the interrobang (‽), and I think we could use about three more. Perhaps I'll start petitioning the computer programmers so we can get these two.

I don't like it. The examples they give should be split into multiple sentences.

"I can't believe it! A baby was born with thirteen eyes and a dozen arms"

"The President is dead! And his killer is an alien from xxx..."

You can start a sentence with 'and' and 'but' nowadays, thought that probably wasn't the case when they came up with the exclamation comma.

Not yet, but I certainly will.
Absolutely. And if everything was defined biochemically, like it should be, most clinical psychologists would be out of a job. For this reason, you'd expect them to continue excluding biochemical terms from the DSM.. Sure. I think we should be happy with any term having a molecule in the title. Maybe then it would be acknowledged that serotonin actually causes more of an 'effective disorder,' or can modulate behaviors of nearly any type. I think by having a good look around this forum we can get a descent idea of how serotonin works. I would imagine that schizophrenia as commonly understood has more to do with glutamate or adrenochrome than serotonin, although I don't really have an strong opinion on the matter. I need to look into the glutamate hypothesis pretty soon as this could give insight into DNA 'methylation.' I did read some of Hoffer & Osmonds book on adrenochrome and thought that was interesting. But what's certain is that schizophrenia and neuropsychology are so poorly understood and weakly characterized that there are over six competing theories on schizophrenia. I think it would be entertaining to list them all. I could perhaps find a few of them:

Hoffer, A. "The Adrenochrome Theory of Schizophrenia: a Review." Diseases of the nervous system (1964)
Javitt, Daniel C. "Glutamatergic theories of schizophrenia." The Israel journal of psychiatry and related sciences (2010)
Smith, R. S. "A comprehensive macrophage-T-lymphocyte theory of schizophrenia." Medical hypotheses (1992)
Bleich, A.. "A serotonergic theory of schizophrenia." The Role of Serotonin in Psychiatric Disorders (1991)
Meltzer, Herbert Y."The dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia: a review." Schizophrenia bulletin (1976)
Regland, B. "Homocysteinemia and schizophrenia as a case of methylation deficiency." Journal of Neural Transmission (1994)​

These look like the big ones. There has been implicated serotonin, glutamate, adrenochrome, dopamine, methyl groups, and T‐cells. It appears as if trees have been killed printing theories implicating every single major neurotransmitter besides acetylcholine (which is surprising since schizophrenics are commonly found to smoke at higher rates.)

A few minor ones follow:

Buscaino, G. A. "The amino-hepato-entero-toxic theory of schizophrenia: an historical evaluation." The Biological Basis of Schizophrenia. (1978)
Gottesman, Irving I. "A polygenic theory of schizophrenia." International Journal of Mental Health (1972)
Brown, James S. "Effects of bisphenol-A and other endocrine disruptors compared with abnormalities of schizophrenia: an endocrine-disruption theory of schizophrenia." Schizophrenia bulletin (2008)
Kallmann, Franz J. "The genetic theory of schizophrenia: An analysis of 691 schizophrenic twin index families." American Journal of Psychiatry (1946)
And there are even a few more quaint, historical ones proposing behavioural, psychological, and sociological definitions:

Devereux, George. "A sociological theory of schizophrenia." The Psychoanalytic Review (1939)
Bellak, Leopold. "A multiple-factor psychosomatic theory of schizophrenia." Psychiatric Quarterly (1949)
I think perhaps they need to find the biochemical definition most suitable, and exclude all others. That way, schizophrenia isn't left to the whims of psychiatrists—they could simply do a spinal tap and then decide if there is something physically wrong, if anything. Thomas Satz, Ken Kesey, and the Rosenhan Experiment exposed the philosphical problems with pathologizing—permanently—a transient behaviour. Once you're labeled 'schizophrenic,' they'll violate your constitutional rights while keeping you in a box for weeks—justifying it using circular logic (or they used to). Psychiatry is mostly a semantic game in the absence of any biochemical definition. Like the label 'conspiracy theorist,' the term has historically been used to pathologize society's critics—as long as they're of the working class. The diagnosis can almost be like gaslighting, or the historical diagnosis of 'hysteria'—a cheap tactic of getting others to not take you seriously. But just remember: Holden Caulfield, Cpt. John Yossarian, and R.P. McMurphy were actually the sane ones. All schizophrenia seems to be doing right now is keeping thousands of people in dubious jobs while marginalizing a select group of people. And if someone's mad, there's probably a good reason for that.

I was going to reply with something akin to "They should do x and y and I think they're doing z because of $"

But I realize things will remain the same as long as we keep expecting "they" to change it.

How about we come up with a new grassroots, open-source, field called psycho-endricronology that uses data backed science and self experimentation to fix mental issues. Put the power back in the hands of the patient. Would mostly help depressed and anxious people because anyone too fargone won't be able to seek help.

I think psychology is more of an artform than a science. There are some great psychologists out there whose works take you to another place and leave you looking at yourself, the people around you, and even life completely different.

Therw are also some psychologists who have helped people thought rarely anyone who showed symptoms of a "chemical imbalance".

I believe psychological issues arising from childhood trauma, ptsd, abuse, etc should still be theirs to deal with. Unless there's a chemical solution to not getting hugged by mommy

OP
Travis

Travis

LOL you don't need to petition us ("computer programmers"): you just need to submit your proposal to Unicode
Submitting Character Proposals
After (if) approved you will need start harassing your favorite font's owners asking to add it.
Thanks. I had no idea that one could do this. I didn't see the exclamation–comma nor the question‐mark–comma in the lists of tentative and proposed symbols, but I would imagine them to have a good chance since they've already approved—for version 11.0—the more esoteric Gurmukhi abbreviation sign, the kangaroo, and the llama. I think I'll fill‐out the proposal form first for the exclamation–comma symbol, perhaps followed by symbols for the soon‐to‐be near‐redundant wallaby and alpaca.

We will soon have a symbol for the DNA double helix. And in Linus Pauling's honor, I'll even submit a proposal for the DNA triple‐helix.
I don't like it. The examples they give should be split into multiple sentences.

"I can't believe it! A baby was born with thirteen eyes and a dozen arms"

"The President is dead! And his killer is an alien from xxx..."

You can start a sentence with 'and' and 'but' nowadays, thought that probably wasn't the case when they came up with the exclamation comma.
I might try that.

When I was reviewing grammar, I had noticed the convention was to omit the capital letter. So what do I think? starting a clause with a capital letter? Not sure yet. But I think I'll play around with it.
I was going to reply with something akin to "They should do x and y and I think they're doing z because of $"

But I realize things will remain the same as long as we keep expecting "they" to change it.

How about we come up with a new grassroots, open-source, field called psycho-endricronology that uses data backed science and self experimentation to fix mental issues. Put the power back in the hands of the patient. Would mostly help depressed and anxious people because anyone too fargone won't be able to seek help.

I think psychology is more of an artform than a science. There are some great psychologists out there whose works take you to another place and leave you looking at yourself, the people around you, and even life completely different.

Therw are also some psychologists who have helped people thought rarely anyone who showed symptoms of a "chemical imbalance".

I believe psychological issues arising from childhood trauma, ptsd, abuse, etc should still be theirs to deal with. Unless there's a chemical solution to not getting hugged by mommy
I agree. I didn't want to give the impression that all conditions were caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance or exogenous interfering molecules, but if you're going to pathologize something I think you should need something physical. Otherwise, it comes down to "We don't like your behaviour. You either threaten us or we need a profitable subject, so we're going to legally define you as a hypothetical archetype and cite the subjective assessments of our team as proof."

But there certainly are drugs and food‐derived molecules that can have powerful effects. I think every legally‐binding diagnosis should have real physical evidence; otherwise, it borders on Orwellian 'thoughtcrime.' And who needs that?
We got emojis :emoji_ok_hand:
I can see that one there, but I can't view emoji's in my browser. I'm not sure why. I can visualize all emojis when I switch to Firefox, but since Google Chrome is faster I use that.

Is there a middle finger emoji for JW? (I would switch to Firefox just so I could see that.)

Last edited:
I can see that one there, but I can't view emoji's in my browser. I'm not sure why. I can visualize all emojis when I switch to Firefox, but since Google Chrome is faster I use that.

Is there a middle finger emoji for JW? (I would switch to Firefox just so I could see that.)
Indeed. And mozilla just recently redid its engine :cool alternatively you can upgrade to windows 10 for native emoji support, but this forum uses custom images for emojis so it wouldn’t be used anyway.

noordinary

Thanks. I had no idea that one could do this. I didn't see the exclamation–comma nor the question‐mark–comma in the lists of tentative and proposed symbols, but I would imagine them to have a good chance since they've already approved—for version 11.0—the more esoteric Gurmukhi abbreviation sign, the kangaroo, and the llama. I think I'll fill‐out the proposal form first for the exclamation–comma symbol, perhaps followed by symbols for the soon‐to‐be near‐redundant wallaby and alpaca.
Cant care less for the question-mark-comma (sorry lol) but alpacas are the best!
Yeh, i know, i checked the list of proposed symbols as well before posting the link to the application, made me smile ... we need alpaca though its important haha
One day i will get one, not the symbol, real one

Last edited:
OP
Travis

Travis

I was thinking about alpacas . . . You know when they cut shrubs a certain way?, as in topiary?; well, people also cut poodles in similar artistic ways and I had wondered if I couldn't find any instances of people doing this to alpacas.. . .

And I did find a few instances of this: Exhibit 1: Shaved Alpacas

The fur is also used to make hats, scarves, and socks; so you could profit by, or at least mitigate expenses through, alpaca wool sales.

noordinary

Alpacas are the cutest (not to mentions they don't spit on you, llamas do lol)
I've been on nearby farm Krystal Acres Alpaca Farm and Country Store and they give their llamas funny haircuts as well :)
Idk it's a looooot of hats, scarves and socks to mitigate expenses for a ranch somewhere say Colorado, i don't think its economical really, i mean i don't think thats why people keep alpacas, they are like horses i guess, not economical.
Had to look up "shrubs" and "topiary", never encountered those words before (i mean i had to translate them)
Poor poodles though... not sure they appreciate their owners "artistic ways"...

Last edited:
OP
Travis

Travis

Low diokinone levels makes all people demented, but these proteins can't be the cause if they only trigger major problems in a few. What makes them susceptible??
Well, gluten exorphin can be found in the blood of all people after eating pizza; this has been shown to raise prolactin levels through the δ-opiate receptor.

I think wheat has these effects on everybody, but some have become accustomed to it. Having opioid peptides within the brain does not guarantee an autism diagnosis, though it could make one tend more towards autistic behaviors.

Pennington, Christopher L. "Detection of gluten exorphin B4 and B5 in human blood by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry/mass spectrometry." The Open Spectroscopy Journal (2007)

OP
Travis

Travis

Didn't know this.
But what makes people with autism susceptiple? Or why can't they adapt?
I think there's sociological forces at play besides the physical correlations. Regardless, a gluten‐free casein‐free diet has worked better than anything.

Obviously, opiates don't necessarily cause autistic behaviour. I think they just a person more dependent on other people's approval, and more susceptible to emotional abuse and bullying. Opiates can put people in an entirely different headspace.

Murakami, Akiko. "Interrogative suggestibility in opiate users." Addiction (1996)

Pennesi, Christine M. "Effectiveness of the gluten-free, casein-free diet for children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder: based on parental report." Nutritional neuroscience (2012)

Amazoniac

I think there's sociological forces at play besides the physical correlations. Regardless, a gluten‐free casein‐free diet has worked better than anything.

Obviously, opiates don't necessarily cause autistic behaviour. I think they just a person more dependent on other people's approval, and more susceptible to emotional abuse and bullying. Opiates can put people in an entirely different headspace.

Murakami, Akiko. "Interrogative suggestibility in opiate users." Addiction (1996)

Pennesi, Christine M. "Effectiveness of the gluten-free, casein-free diet for children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder: based on parental report." Nutritional neuroscience (2012)
What a cool thought, I never considered it this way. @Diokine
If opiates cause stagnation, you would expect anyone to seek suggestions as the senses become messed up, when the energy to make decisions fades, and this dependency allows more room for abuse. Based on what you post, you believe in different degrees of autism in everyone, but all in all why the bad cases were more vulnerable? You think that the infectious explanation is bunk? It can divert energy and create confusion.

Last edited:

Diokine

The polyvagal theory: New insights into adaptive reactions of the autonomic nervous system

I found the explanation offered by Dr. Stephen Porges' Polyvagal theory to be extraordinarily valuable in understanding the pathology of autism. I think that vagal fatigue or lack of sensitivity is ultimately behind the defects of affect - but what causes the persistent fatigue? My simple understanding is that chronic sympathetic activity as a result of persistent allergenic triggers, or unresolved inflammatory responses from such allergens, are the fundamental cause. I think that this is usually a result of environmental injury or prenatal stress - particularly consumption of PUFA. Perinatal hypothyroidism is probably a large contributing factor also, as well as familial disposition to sympathetic activity from generational stress.

Don't vaccines contain adjuvants to encourage a persistent immune response?

I agree, I think most of the pleasurable feelings associated with positive affect and social interaction are mediated by endorphins. My feeling is that chronic exposure to allergic mediators like histamine may reduce sensitivity to endogenous opioids.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

OP
Travis

Travis

Well, there may be methylation issues in some. Below is a liquid chromatogram of autistic urine vs normal:

methyl.png click to embiggen

You will see that one metabolite stands‐out: 1,3‐dimethyluric acid.

This is certainly a unique metabolite, but what exactly is responsible for the N‐methylation of uric acid? Whatever its origin, this metabolite probably can't be said to be causative in itself since it's actually a normal metabolite of caffeine (see below):

Cornish, Herbert H. "A study of the metabolism of theobromine, theophylline, and caffeine in man." Journal of biological chemistry (1957)

Regardless, this could be indicative of a methylation issue. I've seen it written both in this article and elsewhere that nicotinic acid is thought to be the single most effective vitamin for treating autism; it's also been established nicotinic acid consistently removes methyl groups from the body through N‐methylation.

Lis, A. W. "Profiles of ultraviolet-absorbing components of urine from autistic children, as obtained by high-resolution ion-exchange chromatography." Clinical Chemistry (1976)

This is not the only finding of differential methylation patterns. This article below reports a greatly increased ratio of S‐adenosylhomocysteine to S‐adenosylmethionine:

Deth, Richard. "How environmental and genetic factors combine to cause autism: A redox/methylation hypothesis." Neurotoxicology (2008)

It should be noted that an enzymatic aberration at this metabolic stage can also explain—downstream—the anomalous findings regarding glutathione, cystathionine, and oxidize glutathione (the dimer); this is because homocysteine is a substrate for cystathionine β-synthase. However, homocysteine was not elevated in autistic plasma so there seems to be no clear pathway you can point to and say 'That's it. There's the obvious problem right there.' Maybe it's clear to someone, but not to me nor any of the authors I've read on this topic; all the scientific authors I'd read stick to vague generalities, as if they can see no clear picture.

Since the more salient and specific difference is the 1,3‐dimethyluric acid, more so than S-adenosylhomocysteine, I think that perhaps finding out exactly what enzyme methylates uric acid would be interesting to know. Since the literature is full of dozens of hypothesis, tenuous epidemiological correlations, even more tenuous genetic correlations, and a full‐spectrum of neurotransmitters implicated—glutamate, serotonin, acetylcholine, dopamine, neuropeptides, adenosine, ect.—one should probably be careful not to waste time on the more dubious. I'm convinced that there's enough evidence out there to figure it out if anyone really wants to. From my experience, a great many things are well‐understood which are generally thought not to be.

But again: it's a nonspecific enough diagnosis that there will likely actually be multiple, separate causes. I think instead of giving many people with similar behavioral symptoms one label, and then treating them all the same way, it should be admitted that there could be a real reversible biochemical cause in most cases. I don't think the psychiatrists like seeing liquid chromatograms of urine and plasma, because such analysis takes power away from their profession—a profession which needs the existence of real, permanent psychological issues to stay in business.

I think the the psychiatrists should have their way only after all biochemical and sociological factors have been eliminated.

Last edited:
I was reading about how aspergers is nothing like autism and might be an expression of latent neanderthal genes, which is why it's most often found in northern european population.

Thoughts?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals