WTF happened in 1971?

nigma

If you haven't seen this website, its very interesting.

Its just a collection of charts showing some trends occuring since 1971. Here are a few:

wages2_arrow.jpg

currency-crashes.png

simpler-1.jpg

incarcerationrate.jpg

meat-consumption-copy.jpg

Philomath

Interesting background on economic policy failures in the 60’s and 70’s

PxD

Nixon eliminated the gold standard in 1971
Around about that time we also saw the start of offshoring in the US, or modern globalization sending factory jobs to cheaper countries. This suppressed wages in the manufacturing sector. A little later on we also got mass migration from south of the border, suppressing wages in the service sector.

DrJ

Lol about chicken consumption. I once read a published paper arguing that increased chicken consumption is behind the rise in autism and it was based on the amino acid profile of chicken relative to other meats.

bk_

Lol about chicken consumption. I once read a published paper arguing that increased chicken consumption is behind the rise in autism and it was based on the amino acid profile of chicken relative to other meats.
:rightagain2

Ulysses

Between ending the gold standard, normalizing relations with China, and his mismanagement of Vietnam, Nixon was easily the worst president in American history.

Nixon is arguably the reason that all of us are here, on this forum, trying to reinvent the wheel of human nutrition. He brought in Earl Butz to conceal rising food prices by creating those infamous USDA dietary guidelines

Drareg

Looks like bioenergetic resource increase of sorts, 1971 was the year big oil made deals with the Arab nations, I think Adam Curtis covers this in his recent documentary, trade embargo with China ended.
The nasdaq was also founded in 71, gold standard as mentioned.

A couple of fake humanitarian NGO’s started around then also, green peace, Doctors Without Borders, all hugely influential in this club of Rome style imperialism at its peak today.

JamesGatz

Elon Musk was born in 1971 and so was Justin Trudeau ... and so was Ricky Martin - something about that year is fishy man I always knew it

2pac and Selena were born in 1971 as well and met abrupt endings

Peatful

Postmodernism and or nihilism.

LucyL

Elon Musk was born in 1971 and so was Justin Trudeau ... and so was Ricky Martin - something about that year is fishy man I always knew it

2pac and Selena were born in 1971 as well and met abrupt endings
:oops: us '72ers are hiding. Wasn't our fault.

Dr. B

Between ending the gold standard, normalizing relations with China, and his mismanagement of Vietnam, Nixon was easily the worst president in American history.

Nixon is arguably the reason that all of us are here, on this forum, trying to reinvent the wheel of human nutrition. He brought in Earl Butz to conceal rising food prices by creating those infamous USDA dietary guidelines
normalizing relations with China was bad?

Rafe

1971 Nixon appoints Earl Butz Secretary of Agriculture. He announces the “get big or get out” policy reversing New Deal price support farm subsidies. The start of big corporate agriculture, producing huge corn surplus in US.

The Weather Underground bombs the US Capitol. The Pentagon Papers exposed in the newspapers. Attica prison riots.

There would have been a lot of distractions.