WSJ Article On Doc Who Treats Track Stars For Hypothryoidism

juanitacarlos

Re: WSJ Article On Doc Who Treats Track Stars For Hypothryoi

Interesting article. What stood out for me was the typical arrogance and closed mind of the endocronologist:

Among endocrinologists, Brown stands almost alone in believing that endurance athletics can induce early onset of a hormonal imbalance called hypothyroidism, the condition with which he diagnosed Lewis and Rupp. Brown said he knows of no other endocrinologists treating athletes for hypothyroidism, a fatigue-causing condition that typically strikes women middle-aged or older.

Several endocrinology leaders had never heard of hypothyroidism striking young athletes.

"To see large numbers of young, athletic males being treated for thyroid deficiency would be certainly considered unusual, if not a bit suspicious," said Ian Hay, a Mayo Clinic endocrinologist who has practiced for 40 years. P. Reed Larsen, a Harvard Medical School endocrinologist, said, "I can't remember hearing or reading on [thyroid disorders in athletics] and I tend to be more of an investigator-type physician."

This is the typical attitude of the endocronologists I've dealt with. I'm right, only I know what I'm talking about, you're wrong. I remember presenting at my endo for a check up with severe fatigue, scaly skin all over the bottom of my legs, hair falling out, insomnia etc and he still would not concede I was hypo because my test results were in the 'range'. The ridiculous ranges that have no real meaning. I ended up telling him to shove it and was the best thing I ever did.

I have no doubt that elite athletes could become hypo due to the extreme stress they place their bodies under. And I'm sure their 'healthy' diets contribute to that also.

OP
J

jaa

I wonder if the endocrinologists are aware of how they define normal levels? They just take a large sample of the population, and measure the mean levels. If many people in the population are sick, we'll just manipulate the data to make them healthy!

J

j.

jaa said:
I wonder if the endocrinologists are aware of how they define normal levels? They just take a large sample of the population, and measure the mean levels. If many people in the population are sick, we'll just manipulate the data to make them healthy!

I think it comes from the desire to define hypothyroidism using a blood test, as if that were more objective. If you wanted a range in a blood test to reflect that a lot more people are hypothyroid, you basically couldn't do it because the numbers would go from one end to the other. So they just commit to the blood test method, just, sort of, because.

kiran

j. said:
jaa said:

I think it comes from the desire to define hypothyroidism using a blood test, as if that were more objective. If you wanted a range in a blood test to reflect that a lot more people are hypothyroid, you basically couldn't do it because the numbers would go from one end to the other. So they just commit to the blood test method, just, sort of, because.

It's odd, really. It seems like they want to define hypothyroidism objectively, by the TSH value. But they'll happily widen the definition of diabetes to include lower values, even introducing new tests such as the glucose tolerance test to catch marginal/borderline cases. Plenty of drugs for diabetes, but they hobble the treatment of hypothyroid by making the least effective treatment T4 as standard.

I guess the difference is that it's hard to patent new substances for hypothyroid.

4peatssake

kiran said:
j. said:
jaa said:

It's odd, really. It seems like they want to define hypothyroidism objectively, by the TSH value. But they'll happily widen the definition of diabetes to include lower values, even introducing new tests such as the glucose tolerance test to catch marginal/borderline cases. Plenty of drugs for diabetes, but they hobble the treatment of hypothyroid by making the least effective treatment T4 as standard.

I guess the difference is that it's hard to patent new substances for hypothyroid.

And it is of benefit to have many people sick. Then they can't protest too much. It is much easier to control a "hobbled" population.

juanitacarlos

4peatssake said:
kiran said:
j. said:
jaa said:

And it is of benefit to have many people sick. Then they can't protest too much. It is much easier to control a "hobbled" population.

But more importantly, a sick population = $$$$$ for big pharma.

4peatssake

ttramone said:
4peatssake said:

But more importantly, a sick population = $$$$$ for big pharma.

Absolutely!! Big Pharma is in the business of keeping people sick. It is a crucial part of the means used to herd the masses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals