Wrinkles on Upper Lip

TNT

I'm 51 years old, and in the last couple years, I've developed major wrinkles on my upper lip. They say this is due to estrogen deficiency. But according to Ray Peat, estrogen is bad. So what's the deal -- any idea if this is really due to estrogen deficiency? What is causing this, and what can I do about this?

This picture isn't me, but this is basically what mine looks like.

upper-lip-wrinkles.jpg

I used to vape a lot and got this. I got rid of it with retinol cream ( the strongest you can handle ) and estrogen cream ( amazon ) and ... your top lip will plump up a lot if you start taking sublingual b12.

OP
T

TNT

I used to vape a lot and got this. I got rid of it with retinol cream ( the strongest you can handle ) and estrogen cream ( amazon ) and ... your top lip will plump up a lot if you start taking sublingual b12.
Thank you! Did you just put the estrogen cream on your lip or all over? And do you have a link to it? How long did it take to see results?

BigShoes

These are called "Smokers' Lines". They generally appear through lots of pouting and *blowing kisses" - the duck lips face will do this over time.

However (I do not wish to be rude here), these lines are not abnormal for someone your age. Over time, the skin will lose its elasticity and collagen (giving it the pep and bounce and support), which means that wrinkles will occur anywhere where the skin is being stretched, bunched up or the muscles underneath being over-worked.

It may be quite difficult to get rid of them if your skin overall is not "young" and supple. However, I recommend:

(1) *STOP* pursing your lips, blowing kisses, smoking.
(2) *Do NOT* drink from a straw or a narrow bottle... or possibly even a glass if you tend to purse your lips. Try to keep your lips relaxed whilst drinking (it might look undignified, but I recommend "skying" your drink - i.e. lifting it over your mouth and pouring the liquid in, rather than touching the glass to your lips). The goal here is to completely eliminate the muscle action that is causing the creases in the first place.
(3) Consume sufficient protein (especially glycine / gelatin), which MAY help to rejuvenate the skin, and will certainly help prevent things from getting any worse.
(4) Topical creams with retinol and progesterone MAY help (as the above commenter mentioned).
(5) Investigate PHOTOBIOMODULATION, or as it is colloquially known, 'Red Light Therapy'. If you buy a RLT LED device (w. 630-660nm waves for red, and 830-850nm waves for near-infrared) and shine it directly on your mouth for 10 minutes per day - it has been clinically proven to improve the skin's elasticity and reduce wrinkles over the course of months (e.g 3-6 months of daily treatment). You can find plenty of youtube videos demonstrating evidence - it may seem a bit 'woo woo / voodoo' at first, but it is scientifically backed.

Note: these devices can be a little expensive (c. £/$500) and take dedication. Also, whilst they will likely help somewhat, they may not COMPLETELY get rid of the problem. They will not turn your lips back into the lips of a 20 year old woman.

Good luck.

Dotdash

Nutritionist, Adele Davis, writes these whistle marks have been produced by a lack of linoleic acid, folic acid, pantothenic acid , or vitamin B2 or B6. It seems to me using Vitamin E topically would help as it is known to repair skin wrinkles and scars.

Nokoni

I'm 51 years old, and in the last couple years, I've developed major wrinkles on my upper lip. They say this is due to estrogen deficiency. But according to Ray Peat, estrogen is bad. So what's the deal -- any idea if this is really due to estrogen deficiency? What is causing this, and what can I do about this?

upper-lip-wrinkles.jpg
Estrogen might be counterproductive. Progesterone would probably be much better, applied topically. Haidut's product "Progestene" is very convenient and effective for topical applications. Just a couple drops in the morning and again in the evening rubbed into the upper lip area should result in improvement.

OP
T

TNT

Estrogen might be counterproductive. Progesterone would probably be much better, applied topically. Haidut's product "Progestene" is very convenient and effective for topical applications. Just a couple drops in the morning and again in the evening rubbed into the upper lip area should result in improvement.
Nokoni, Haidut's Progestone is alcohol-based. Wouldn't that dry out that area further?

OP
T

TNT

@danishstargazer , one more question -- where did you get the retinol cream?

Nokoni

Nokoni, Haidut's Progestone is alcohol-based. Wouldn't that dry out that area further?
I use 10 drops per day on different parts of my body. The only places I put it that I can see are my knees, and come to think of it, they are a bit wrinkly.

Thank you! Did you just put the estrogen cream on your lip or all over? And do you have a link to it? How long did it take to see results?
I use Natural Sources Estrogen Cream ( soy based ) and Bio Est Cream ( amazon ) I just put it one my wrinkle areas. I use Retinol from The Ordinary or Olay or Retin A from Happy Family Pharmacy ( online - overseas) . I also start with a good lip scrub on both my lips and upper lips. I like Jeffree Star lip scrub. The b12 sublingual also really helps the lips and upper lip area plump up.

Hugh Johnson

upper-lip-wrinkles.jpg
Looks emotional. According to chinese face reading, it would be "over nurturing". Does that ring a bell?

Quelsatron

I dunno, but I'm using that topically. Wondering if I should use it orally, too.
I don't think it'll do anything given that is one of the largest molecules in the body, you'd have to figure out what improves the synthesis of it.