Wow, Peat Is Right! Milk And Dairy Really ARE Weight Loss Foods

Hildy

:meh:Ok so, I've been trying to get my head around all this milk drinking that Peat recommends.

I read his milk article here: Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths o_O

And part of me thought maybe he's just biased towards dairy cuz he likes it. :joyful:

Nope.

Three articles I read

Here:
https://www.jabfm.org/content/18/3/205m
here:
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals
And here:
Calcium and Weight Loss - The Connection Explained!

All pretty much confirm what Peat has been saying about dairy and it's benefits ESPECIALLY in the weight loss department.

There is something special about milk and dairy for weight loss and maintaining your weight as you age.

I had a pretty decent metabolism in my younger days, but as I have hit middle age, weight control has definitely become harder. I have 20 stubborn middle age accumulated lbs. that just don't want to budge no matter how much I exercize and eat healthy. I lose 10 and gain 10, back and forth, back and forth...

I'm tall and can get away with it at times but it's frustrating :sour:

I've never really been a big milk drinker. But I do like it- just not all the time. Well that's gonna change now.

Interestingly, if you read these articles, they discuss how calcium, ESPECIALLY FROM DAIRY SOURCES, are what helped the MOST.......way better than calcium from supplements and other food sources......

(Good-bye almond milk in my morning green/fruit smoothie! :wtf: even tho it has calcium as well)

Now of special note, the articles DID mention for weight loss purposes, that one needs to be eating the lower fat versions of dairy in order to get the higher calcium and not all the calories. But if you are going for calories AND calcium, just use the higher fat versions, I guess....

Calcium is the bomb when it comes to health/weight issues! Yes, I know, the other vitamin/supplements/foods are important too, but this thread is about da milk subject. And an important one at that!

Touché Dr. Peat! You are right AGAIN!

I say "again" because before I read what Peat had to say about certain vitamins and nutrients, I had independently researched their benefits, and put them to use, which, I might add, has been verified and confirmed by what Dr. Peat has discussed.

Now I'm going to research the orange juice thing.:wideyed:

malibumaniac

I can't drink milk due to its protein type, the added vitamin d and lactose. I just don't feel right on any kind of milk.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

I can't drink milk due to its protein type, the added vitamin d and lactose. I just don't feel right on any kind of milk.

Well the articles DID say that other sources of dairy are good as well for calcium, if you can't handle milk -like a lot of folks such as yourself.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
1B43CD61-030F-4335-901F-2B493827B74F.png
The best I can say is no starch if you can tolerate eliminating it from your diet. Starch+sugar+higher fat seems to be a recipe for unwanted weight gain from various experiences on this forum. If you are coming from a high fat low carb background gradually transitioning to a diet lower in fat and higher in carbs from fruit sugars while keeping adequate protein seems to be popular here. I do believe each of us has to experiment and find our own sweet spot. The above screenshot is of a book that might be helpful.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

View attachment 15068 The best I can say is no starch if you can tolerate eliminating it from your diet. Starch+sugar+higher fat seems to be a recipe for unwanted weight gain from various experiences on this forum. If you are coming from a high fat low carb background gradually transitioning to a diet lower in fat and higher in carbs from fruit sugars while keeping adequate protein seems to be popular here. I do believe each of us has to experiment and find our own sweet spot. The above screenshot is of a book that might be helpful.
Glad you mentioned this Blossom :thumbsup: I just made a decision to go no starch or very low starch as I know personally, that I don't do well with starches except rice at times. Starches really bloat me. You nailed it- I was doing the high fat, low carb approach and it was working and then not working and I wasn't feeling good overall doing it. Went to more starches but then that bloat thing.....Yuck

You mention sugar tho- I thought sugar or fructose ( which I already eat now because I like fruit, it's healthy and lower in calories) was a Peaty thing to do?

Is this book you recommend kinda Peaty or does it take a different approach?

OP
Hildy

Hildy

Glad you mentioned this Blossom :thumbsup: I just made a decision to go no starch or very low starch as I know personally, that I don't do well with starches except rice at times. Starches really bloat me. You nailed it- I was doing the high fat, low carb approach and it was working and then not working and I wasn't feeling good overall doing it. Went to more starches but then that bloat thing.....Yuck

You mention sugar tho- I thought sugar or fructose ( which I already eat now because I like fruit, it's healthy and lower in calories) was a Peaty thing to do?

Is this book you recommend kinda Peaty or does it take a different approach?
Oh lol just saw Peat's endorsement of the book :D

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Hildy, sugar and fructose is good according to Peat as a carb source. I’d just try to get the majority of sugar from fruits or fruit juice that comes with nutrients rather than white sugar.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

@Hildy, sugar and fructose is good according to Peat as a carb source. I’d just try to get the majority of sugar from fruits or fruit juice that comes with nutrients rather than white sugar.
Yeah, that's what I thought about the fructose. I think that combination of starch and sugar with the fat is what's not good- like a pastry or something.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yeah, that's what I thought about the fructose. I think that combination of starch and sugar with the fat is what's not good- like a pastry or something.
Yes, I even had issues with fruit or fruit juice and rice in the same day honestly although not everyone is that sensitive.

cellboy

how much milk do you drink per day and how do u drink it? it just doesn't seem to work for me unless im sitting on my **** at home all day. it doesnt make me full and doesn't give me energy either and i can't just start my day with a just few glasses of milk and a few eggs. and warmth? lol never had cold feet until i started drinking 3quarts per day. where do you get the salt from? like how is oj and milk supposed to be enough food for a day? i can't just drink a gallon worth of fluids a day without any salt. and milks sugar content is just laughably low and honestly it just tastes like nothing at all. like plain thick white water with some proteiny aftertaste.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

how much milk do you drink per day and how do u drink it? it just doesn't seem to work for me unless im sitting on my **** at home all day. it doesnt make me full and doesn't give me energy either and i can't just start my day with a just few glasses of milk and a few eggs. and warmth? lol never had cold feet until i started drinking 3quarts per day. where do you get the salt from? like how is oj and milk supposed to be enough food for a day? i can't just drink a gallon worth of fluids a day without any salt. and milks sugar content is just laughably low and honestly it just tastes like nothing at all. like plain thick white water with some proteiny aftertaste.
According to the articles I posted, it was the calcium in the dairy products that was so good for you, amongst other things. So that could be an alternative. Milk, cheese, yogurt etc.My mind was blown because I never knew how good milk/ dairy was for you. I never drank much milk. I just started Peating but I'm certainly now including a lot of dairy.

cellboy

According to the articles I posted, it was the calcium in the dairy products that was so good for you, amongst other things. So that could be an alternative. Milk, cheese, yogurt etc.My mind was blown because I never knew how good milk/ dairy was for you. I never drank much milk. I just started Peating but I'm certainly now including a lot of dairy.
yeah the calcium and casein def are amazing but it's just too much useless water in there. i'm not a fan of salty milk and even if ray said milk is osmotically balanced, it still makes me freezing cold. Can't find cheese without crap in it and i'm not gonna bother doing some disgusting vinegar cheese or whatever. milk is def good if not the best food to survive on, but to thrive and have good energy, it's just not enough :(
good luck btw, with this whole peat thing

LUH 3417

yeah the calcium and casein def are amazing but it's just too much useless water in there. i'm not a fan of salty milk and even if ray said milk is osmotically balanced, it still makes me freezing cold. Can't find cheese without crap in it and i'm not gonna bother doing some disgusting vinegar cheese or whatever. milk is def good if not the best food to survive on, but to thrive and have good energy, it's just not enough :(
good luck btw, with this whole peat thing
Have you ever tried goat milk? I get the meyenburg low fat one. It’s very creamy and definitely does not taste anything like water

boris

and warmth? lol never had cold feet until i started drinking 3quarts per day. where do you get the salt from? like how is oj and milk supposed to be enough food for a day? i can't just drink a gallon worth of fluids a day without any salt. and milks sugar content is just laughably low and honestly it just tastes like nothing at all. like plain thick white water with some proteiny aftertaste.

You can incorporate salty foods no problem. Carrot salad with salt is great. Mushroomsoup, kale broth, well cooked spinach, bone broth :yum:

When I drink pure milk... I can say my good byes, I'm in hypo land and shivering cold. But no problems at all with sugared milk, or milk with honey, maple syrup or date syrup.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

Yes, I even had issues with fruit or fruit juice and rice in the same day honestly although not everyone is that sensitive.
Really? I can understand that. I don't know what it is but they bloat me so bad and I love them but they cause me problems. I was thinking it was the gluten but I have the same reaction to corn as in corn chips. Beans too. Pasta is the worst. I feel soooo much better avoiding the starches. It does limit you though in food choices. Good ole sugar and fruit I am fine with except apples for some reason. Forgot what Peat said about apples.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
Hildy

Hildy

Charlie, I'm really glad you posted this study because, yes, it confirms what I have been researching: that whole milk and whole fat dairy products are really good for and that they do not lead to diabesity. In fact what I have read is it's the opposite.
Found this article: Skim Milk vs Whole Milk for Weight Loss | Dairy Myths Part 2

This just corroborates the study you posted as well as the articles I posted.

This link - the skim-milk-whole-milk-weight-loss article mentioned about the unique fatty acids found in whole milk which is beneficial for weight management:CLA, butyric acid, palmitoleic acid in addition to that supposed magic ingredient called nicocinimide ribose (in the article you had posted in another thread) just seems to me that evidence is mounting that milk, whole milk, is just an all around good for ya thing! Especially in the weight department.

As a side note, I just recently started taking butyrate ( butyric acid) for inflammation and it really seems to help - I don't know what it does but it seems to settle your stomach down and also makes you feel satisfied. It really has this calming effect. I just have to remember to take it with all my other supplements. But my point is that butyric acid is in the whole milk , being a short chain fatty acid. I can personally attest that it makes me feel good. And if you suffer from IBS I highly recommend it.

A.D.

So what are we talking here a couple glasses of low-fat milk plus a couple ounces of cheese?

An entire quart of milk a day?

I'm trying to balance the ratio of milk protein to muscle meat protein. Not sure if 5oz of steak per day is enough with the rest coming from milk...

somuch4food

Yeah, same here. Wasn't big on the milk. But now that I understand how good it is for you, I've made it my goal to get 1,200+ mg of calcium from dairy a day. That's what the research has shown helps with with weight loss and metabolism.

@A.D. She mentions 1200+ mg of calcium in another thread. I was curious and entered some portions on Cronometer. 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of yogourt and 3-4 ounces of cheese easily get you over 1200mg.

cellboy

Have you ever tried goat milk? I get the meyenburg low fat one. It’s very creamy and definitely does not taste anything like water
Yes tasted goat, sheep even camel milk. But all these alternatives are not cheap and i don‘t think it makes a big difference. Cow‘s milk is even better than breast milk, good cheese even more but still dairy products lacks taste and i rarely crave them. Fruit is what turns me on the most and sadly it‘s a luxury here in europe. Unripe fruits just make me sick