Wow, Peat Is Right! Milk And Dairy Really ARE Weight Loss Foods

to keep in mind.HI-Fluid diet like milk+OJ has very low small intestine contact times,protein uptake but is very slow.
something that gives bulk and slows down transit in the small intestine is better for protein uptake;
maybe,maybe it doesnt matter though because of frequency of milk consumption?

OP
Hildy

Hildy

Vitamin D Council recommends 35iu x weight in pounds. This should yield around 50 Ng/ml. I take 5,000 iu -- so for my weight I should get into the 30s.

I don't know how valid this is.
Thanks for posting this. This seems reasonable.

So if this is correct, how much calcium food should someone be eating to balance this? I just recently went from low calcium intake to (now) getting 1,200 + mgs from milk and dairy sources ( the Peat recommended 2qts milk seems to high for me)

I currently take 2,000 mgs. Of vitamin D3 a day.
Based on this ratio I need to be taking a few 1,000 mgs more.
I also currently take 550-600 magnesium a day. Should I increase my magnesium if I up my vit. D amounts?
I take vit k2 ( my-4) 100 mcgs
Also, as I am losing weight, do I then lower my vit D dosage?

Do my ratios look good? Anyone?

OP
Hildy

Hildy

Thanks for posting this. This seems reasonable.

So if this is correct, how much calcium food should someone be eating to balance this? I just recently went from low calcium intake to (now) getting 1,200 + mgs from milk and dairy sources ( the Peat recommended 2qts milk seems to high for me)

I currently take 2,000 mgs. Of vitamin D3 a day.
Based on this ratio I need to be taking a few 1,000 mgs more.
I also currently take 550-600 magnesium a day. Should I increase my magnesium if I up my vit. D amounts?
I take vit k2 ( my-4) 100 mcgs
Also, as I am losing weight, do I then lower my vit D dosage?

Do my ratios look good? Anyone?
Bump
Advice anyone on ratios?

I did re-read In the articles I posted that it was the increased calcium from DAIRY ( specifically) products AND vitamin D that helped with weight loss.
And I read on another thread that the recommended vitamin D amount is your weight X 35. I guess that's what the experts say. That seems awful high taking 5,000 mg of vitamin D or more a day. But if this is what's recommended, I am certainly below my vit. D dosage.
Haven't read what Peat has said about vit.D amounts. I assumed it was in my grassfed milk.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

Also, does anyone else feel really good drinking whole milk? I'm so into this whole milk drinking thing now! I didn't really drink milk for so long except when having cereal or something, but I forgot how good drinking milk makes me feel.
Really calms me and I feel nourished as well.

Aymen

Also, does anyone else feel really good drinking whole milk? I'm so into this whole milk drinking thing now! I didn't really drink milk for so long except when having cereal or something, but I forgot how good drinking milk makes me feel.
Really calms me and I feel nourished as well.
"I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don't, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories." RP

Inaut

i love the taste of whole milk but do notice the fattening effect from it. I prefer 2% personally

OP
Hildy

Hildy

"I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don't, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories." RP

Thanks! Ok sounds reasonable. But apparently (according to what I've read) it's the whole fat dairy that has the benefits. And not just for the calcium, but other things in the milk that make it so nutrious like nicotinimide ribose, CLA, other stuff I can't remember. I have been substituting the whole milk in place of other fats so my fat is coming from the milk and not so much from other foods, so there is a way to make it work and not get too much fat.

I think I will have to continue with this milk experiment and post my results.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

i love the taste of whole milk but do notice the fattening effect from it. I prefer 2% personally
I'm really loving the whole milk. The 2% is ok but not as satisfying.....to me, anyway.

Aymen

Thanks! Ok sounds reasonable. But apparently (according to what I've read) it's the whole fat dairy that has the benefits. And not just for the calcium, but other things in the milk that make it so nutrious like nicotinimide ribose, CLA, other stuff I can't remember. I have been substituting the whole milk in place of other fats so my fat is coming from the milk and not so much from other foods, so there is a way to make it work and not get too much fat.

I think I will have to continue with this milk experiment and post my results.
use Cronometer: Track nutrition & count calories to see how much calories and fat you are eating a day, if you were eating vegetable oils all your life and now you switched to whole milk then this is beneficial because the fat in milk is mostly saturated, but for weight loss and for general health you better go with low fat high carbs and get most of your protein preferably with dairy, how old are you?
you should not worry about drinking 1% Or 2% because some vitamins lost by heating milk are added back in 1% or 2%, i experimented with raw milk and ended up with stomach cramps and dizziness that last for days and i think that was because of the bad bacteria, what is your old diet and your current diet?
you may add milk slowly to your diet and buy the brand that will digest easy.
if you drink 3 liters of whole milk a day you will end up with 5.7 grams of PUFAs, combine it with some other foods you will pass 6grams.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

use Cronometer: Track nutrition & count calories to see how much calories and fat you are eating a day, if you were eating vegetable oils all your life and now you switched to whole milk then this is beneficial because the fat in milk is mostly saturated, but for weight loss and for general health you better go with low fat high carbs and get most of your protein preferably with dairy, how old are you?
you should not worry about drinking 1% Or 2% because some vitamins lost by heating milk are added back in 1% or 2%, i experimented with raw milk and ended up with stomach cramps and dizziness that last for days and i think that was because of the bad bacteria, what is your old diet and your current diet?
you may add milk slowly to your diet and buy the brand that will digest easy.
if you drink 3 liters of whole milk a day you will end up with 5.7 grams of PUFAs, combine it with some other foods you will pass 6grams.
I just started with the chronometer, really like that . I listed my diet on another thread so not gonna post it again. I focus on saturated fats now but was using olive oil, and yeah, probably getting too many PUFAS. Since I've hit 50 I've had a battle with 20 extra pounds that I keep gaining and losing. I'm tall so it's not too bad but I'm used to being thinner, but so I'd like to maintain my previous weight. I have considered that I may have developed thyroid issues as my temperature is consistently low, so in addition to menopause, it could be my thyroid.

Aymen

I just started with the chronometer, really like that . I listed my diet on another thread so not gonna post it again. I focus on saturated fats now but was using olive oil, and yeah, probably getting too many PUFAS. Since I've hit 50 I've had a battle with 20 extra pounds that I keep gaining and losing. I'm tall so it's not too bad but I'm used to being thinner, but so I'd like to maintain my previous weight. I have considered that I may have developed thyroid issues as my temperature is consistently low, so in addition to menopause, it could be my thyroid.
olive oil is good fat in moderate amounts, it has contains an antioxidant which makes it protective against heart disease and cancer and the fats are mostly monounsaturated fat (oleic acid) but we can make oleic acid from eating carbs. coconut oil stimulates metabolism and ray uses hydrogenated coconut oil recently.
here is a quote from his website:
"Coconut oil is unique in its ability to prevent weight-gain or cure obesity, by stimulating metabolism. It is quickly metabolized."
eat a tbsp of it with every meal.
i will take a look at your diet thread, metabolism is restored when ratio of saturated fats to PUFAs is 2:1 so best to start depleting your PUFAs, try to limit it to 4g daily, with cronomoter.com you will now how much you eat a day, and go low fat high carbs and when your metabolism is restored your body will take care of the excess fat, i showed you in female corner a good thread how to get ripped by ray peat's principle:
Getting Ripped With Dr Peat
member VisionOfStrength had very good comments there that will help you.

OP
Hildy

Hildy

olive oil is good fat in moderate amounts, it has contains an antioxidant which makes it protective against heart disease and cancer and the fats are mostly monounsaturated fat (oleic acid) but we can make oleic acid from eating carbs. coconut oil stimulates metabolism and ray uses hydrogenated coconut oil recently.
here is a quote from his website:
"Coconut oil is unique in its ability to prevent weight-gain or cure obesity, by stimulating metabolism. It is quickly metabolized."
eat a tbsp of it with every meal.
i will take a look at your diet thread, metabolism is restored when ratio of saturated fats to PUFAs is 2:1 so best to start depleting your PUFAs, try to limit it to 4g daily, with cronomoter.com you will now how much you eat a day, and go low fat high carbs and when your metabolism is restored your body will take care of the excess fat, i showed you in female corner a good thread how to get ripped by ray peat's principle:
Getting Ripped With Dr Peat
member VisionOfStrength had very good comments there that will help you.
I think I posted my diet under my middle aged weight gain thread.
Yes I was thinking of that coconut oil. I don't use it very much- just butter, some Olive oil. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with it.

Velve921

I think I posted my diet under my middle aged weight gain thread.
Yes I was thinking of that coconut oil. I don't use it very much- just butter, some Olive oil. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with it.

It’s great to hear about your experiences with calcium. I am in the same boat.

I’ve been using peat’s inspiration for 6 years now. I had gained up to 75lbs. Half muscle half fat. Starting last July I got serious and now I never cheat on the calcium to phosphorus ratio of less than 1:1. Since then, Ive lost 26lbs and now I am averaging a slow, steady drop in body fat of .5-.75% per month.

FYI, I use Kalona whole milk and do great on it. Only milk I feel good on.

Spartan300

Hi @Velve921 nice job on the drop in bodyfat. Do you attribute this solely to upping calcium & if so is adding the milk all you have done?

Spartan300

@Velve921 No worries, I found your thread re 'strictness' where you explain...

Actually you don't really say what you changed around 6 months ago to improve Ca:Ph?

Velve921

@Velve921 No worries, I found your thread re 'strictness' where you explain...

Actually you don't really say what you changed around 6 months ago to improve Ca:Ph?

So before 6 months ago, I would still have meat or starch 2-3x a week.

So once I stopped that and on a daily basis keep the ratio of calcium:ph 1:1 or 2:1, that’s when things started happening in a better way.

Now with that, I will also say that having lots of gelatin, sugar, saturated fat, and coffee in my diet is a large part of this as well.

But I’ve done these things for 6 years now; it wasn’t until I became strict on the ca:ph... and I mean really strict, that fat loss started happening.

Now, during the quarantine and working from home, I go on walks per day and combining this in the last 2 weeks has exponentially increased my fat loss noticeably.

The whole picture is important. To give you an idea of my latest that’s working, here it is:

Gelatin
Milk
Sugar
Coffee
Ice cream
Dark chocolate
OJ
Cheese
Liver - 1x a week
Mineral water

Red light
Sun light
Inclined bed therapy
Epsom salt/aspirin baths
Long walks

Aspirin
Lapodin
Vitamin K
Anti-histamine before bed

Spartan300

Thanks @Velve921 I appreciate the detailed reply.

So the big difference seems to have been dropping meat and starch.
I might well benefit from something similar but that list looks pretty restrictive with not much carbs other than sugar and OJ?

Do you think some of the benefits you're seeing may be due to improved digestion?

baccheion

So before 6 months ago, I would still have meat or starch 2-3x a week.

So once I stopped that and on a daily basis keep the ratio of calcium:ph 1:1 or 2:1, that’s when things started happening in a better way.

Now with that, I will also say that having lots of gelatin, sugar, saturated fat, and coffee in my diet is a large part of this as well.

But I’ve done these things for 6 years now; it wasn’t until I became strict on the ca:ph... and I mean really strict, that fat loss started happening.

Now, during the quarantine and working from home, I go on walks per day and combining this in the last 2 weeks has exponentially increased my fat loss noticeably.

The whole picture is important. To give you an idea of my latest that’s working, here it is:

Gelatin
Milk
Sugar
Coffee
Ice cream
Dark chocolate
OJ
Cheese
Liver - 1x a week
Mineral water

Red light
Sun light
Inclined bed therapy
Epsom salt/aspirin baths
Long walks

Aspirin
Lapodin
Vitamin K
Anti-histamine before bed
How much of each? What macros? How much PUFA? CRON-o-meter? How's salivary flow? Body temperature? Any issues with teeth? Does OJ acid cause problems or are you compensating somehow?

Velve921

Thanks @Velve921 I appreciate the detailed reply.

So the big difference seems to have been dropping meat and starch.
I might well benefit from something similar but that list looks pretty restrictive with not much carbs other than sugar and OJ?

Do you think some of the benefits you're seeing may be due to improved digestion?

OJ, milk, sugar, ice cream, and dark chocolate seems to work fine for me.

Digestion is solid and plays a part.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals