Wow Had Great Effect From P5P Active Form Of B6

Bluebell

I took some P5P, 50mg today and 50mg yesterday, with great effects.

I have been struggling with neuropathy and body malaise. After taking the P5P the issues seemed to lift a bit and I felt more myself, more calm but energetic.

I'm cautiously optimistic as often supplements are great to start with then go downhill, but for now, I am happy with the effect. I'll keep taking 50mg a day and see how it goes.

Another weird and unexpected effect was an area of quite painful gum inflammation over one tooth, has gone down completely in 24 hours (fingers crossed). I had been bothered by it for about 2 months.

I am trying to understand exactly what the B6 is doing to have all these great effects, does anyone know?

I hear that B6 can increase dopamine and reduce prolactin, which would account for the calmer feeling. & I think it can increase progesterone.

Maybe I really needed the hormonal tweak it gave me.

Mittir

Most obvious reason would be that females are usually deficient in B6
due to excess Estrogen. Estrogen drains B6. You are possibly removing the
deficiency with extra B6 . B6 also play role in conversion of tryptophan to
serotonin. Have you tried regular B6 before? I remember RP talking about
overdoing on B6. He thinks 10 mg is a big dose. It would be a good idea to
look into if P5P form has higher chance of causing overdosing.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks Mittir. That sounds like a very welcome effect, I can imagine I could be high in estrogen.

I get front thigh pains in the second half of my cycle, I will see whether they are less of a problem this time around with the added B6.

Converting to serotonin would be a bad thing, though, no?

I haven't tried regular B6 before. Whenever I've tried B complex I have quickly felt ill/toxic/sick/headache from it, and I never tried B6 on its own.

I could easily be very low in B6 due to a history of stress, high caffeine, illness, medications etc draining it out, and the estrogen as you say.

I'm aiming to slowly work my way though the separate B vitamins, to work out which are good for me, and which are the culprits in the B complex. It'd be a very slow process though, and hard to separate out the effects because even if one vitamin has good effects for weeks, it doesn't mean I should take it forever.

I also suspect I'm low in B1, perhaps, because of the neuropathy. Or that B1 could help bring the neuropathy down.

I am quite amazed how much better I feel after P5P. I had been putting up with feeling down/anxious and coping with it, and it was becoming my new normal.

You are right, I should look into P5P overdose. I have no idea how much to take, how often, how long - it all seems so arbitrary. From past experience supplements can make me feel worse once they have done their job. Maybe I should aim to correct the deficiency according to symptoms, and then reduce the dosage down to just once a week or something.

Correction: my dose is 34mg of the actual B6, 1,700% RDA (34mg vitamin B-6 from 50 mg Coenzyme Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate)

Mittir

I should have clarified that B6 lowers the conversion of Tryptophan to Serotonin
and increases conversion of Tryptophan to Niacin. Yes, we do not want excess
serotonin and niacin is very beneficial. B vitamins are water soluble, meaning body
does not store it for long time, so you want a steady supply of this vitamin.
RP mentioned that synthetic riboflavin and folic acid can be very allergenic.
I have never found a b complex that did not cause problem for me.
RP mentioned B1,B3,B5 and B6 are relatively safe. You can try smaller dose of B6 supplement
and see if you can get the same health benefits.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Great thank you for the clarification, and good to know you don't like B complex either.

I took the active form of folic acid once and it was very stimulating and ended up giving me strong body pains.

Something I wonder about is whether B1,B3,B5 and B6 taken alone in supplements can deplete the other B vitamins?

One thing about me is that I am not good on coffee (though I love the taste). Google search suggests that coffee/caffeine can deplete B6 so maybe once my levels are up I might be able to tolerate coffee.

Peata

Glad you're getting good results. I had nothing with P5P, but I was taking 50 mg. or less. You inspired me to try 100 mg. today.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

I hope it is beneficial for you Peata :)

It was a considerable difference, and easy to notice as I am not taking any other supplements right now, plus I was not feeling great before taking it. So a good test. I think I must have been very deficient, and probably for a very long time. Plus my diet was not topping up the B vitamin levels unless pasteurised milk provides B6 (I don't have nuts, whole grains etc and not even liver any more).

Also I still feel the effects 12 hours after taking it.

Just to clarify I have only been taking 50mg per day.

Peata

I've been taking B6 or P5P since last Fall. At first the B6 seemed to be helping with prolactin, but I haven't noticed anything really for a long time now.

I don't seem to respond to supplements like a lot of people here I notice. Things that cause a noticeable difference for them doesn't seem to do anything to me that I can tell, as far as the supplement itself or the fillers and binders.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Yeah, it's often the way that supplements make a difference at first then the benefits level off, like the body is tending back to homeostasis.

I'm taking the Thorne P5P as they are quite good with avoiding allergens (though still have silicon dioxide).

How do you know that prolactin is going down?

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Just wanted to add, be careful taking a lot of P5P Peata. I've been researching and from what I can tell it's highly individual. Some people get neuropathy from quite low doses of B6. Also P5P is possibly more likely to cause overdose as it is already in the active form and does not depend on liver conversion.

for me, I'm going to experiment with staying on 50mg for a while and see what happens, with a view to reducing down to 10mg a day for maintenance (or stopping altogether if I feel deficiency is gone).

Peata

OK thanks for the warning. I've read that but I've been experimenting with all different doses of B6 and P5P and never got the effect I got when I first started B6. I doubt I keep taking it daily before long. As far as prolactin, I stopped retaining a bunch of water and my breasts were not swollen and sore.

Chiming in here....What a timely post! I started taking B-6 just three days ago and felt an enormous surge in mood and mental clarity. It's too soon to know for sure, but things certainly look hopeful. I take a large dose (100 mg.) as I could not find a smaller pill size. I won't take this dose forever, but it sure feels right for now. I drink three or four 12 oz. cups of coffee throughout the day so I think I must have been quite depleted.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Great to hear that peatowski. Like you, I think I was super depleted, and for a long time. I don't drink a lot of coffee now but have a history of it, and also very strong black tea which would have just as much caffeine I think.

I upped to 100mg for a couple of days. Today I took a break from it. I'm looking into synergistic nutrients like magnesium, and also whether high B6 can deplete others.

Something is definitely up with my B vitamins. I can't take the complex but B6 alone is fine. I wonder if I have some deep deficiencies for some of the Bs, and when I take a normally balanced B complex, it pulls me even more out of balance.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

quick update - i've stopped taking it for now. Still feeling good effects from it though.

One thing I notice is my digestion is stronger, even though I thought it was OK before. Looking up B6, it seems it's important for this. Anyone else notice an effect on their digestion when taking b6?

I'm thinking of re-starting on about 10mg a day for maintenance.

jaa

Thanks for the update Bluebell this thread has been very helpful!

D

Deleted member 5487

I've been taking B6 or P5P since last Fall. At first the B6 seemed to be helping with prolactin, but I haven't noticed anything really for a long time now.

I don't seem to respond to supplements like a lot of people here I notice. Things that cause a noticeable difference for them doesn't seem to do anything to me that I can tell, as far as the supplement itself or the fillers and binders.

Wow same. I have been takin tiny doses after meals. I must have lost like 5lbs of water and my nipples no longer tingle, also heat/temps are up. Most effective thing I have taken.