Would You Sacrifice Your Smartphone For Your Freedom?

Lollipop2

Time to consider using vpn

VPN’s are big time honeypots. Be extremely careful using one. Better to get a cheap throwaway tablet for cash, go to a public wi-fi like Starbucks, do your searches and websites that are controversial and do nothing else with it. Wipe it down of any prints and then throw it away. My cybersecurity friends told me this - lol.

OP
P

Peatness

VPN’s are big time honeypots. Be extremely careful using one. Better to get a cheap throwaway tablet for cash, go to a public wi-fi like Starbucks, do your searches and websites that are controversial and do nothing else with it. Wipe it down of any prints and then throw it away. My cybersecurity friends told me this - lol.
This is good advice for a special agent but isn't it a bit drastic for an ordinary citizen catching up on conspiracy? :- )

Last edited by a moderator:

Lollipop2

This is good advice for a special agent but isn't it a bit drastic for an ordinary citizen catching up on conspiracy? :- )
I am not convinced. Look how they are coming after the licenses of people who are speaking out. Yes it might take time but remember if they succeed with credit score type of system, your search history going years back will be counted in your “credit score”. Not that I follow this method I listed above - lol. BUT, I have slowly been preparing for in case” but searching less.

FrostedShores

This might seem like a weird statement since I'm posting this on an internet forum, but I hate technology. I truly believe life was better before technology became so intrusive. I'm all for indoor plumbing and light bulbs and that kind of thing, but computers, smart phones, social media, etc. have done way more damage than good as far as I'm concerned.

OP
P

Peatness

I am not convinced. Look how they are coming after the licenses of people who are speaking out. Yes it might take time but remember if they succeed with credit score type of system, your search history going years back will be counted in your “credit score”. Not that I follow this method I listed above - lol. BUT, I have slowly been preparing for in case” but searching less.
In which case it's too late for me. I won't censor myself just to get good social credit scores. This will have to be another one of my hills

Lollipop2

In which case it's too late for me. I won't censor myself just to get good social credit scores. This will have to be another one of my hills
:): Not censoring. Mindful of where I read. I go to almost all sites posted here EXCEPT very sketchy ones. My cybersecurity friends warned me of online profiles etc and this type of stuff back in 2013-2014. It has been a concern for a while. When my husband was applying for citizenship our attorney told us to clean up our online activity. His was fine - lol. Mine needed some work. And yes totally did it so my husband could be permanently with me.

OP
P

Peatness

:): Not censoring. Mindful of where I read. I go to almost all sites posted here EXCEPT very sketchy ones. My cybersecurity friends warned me of online profiles etc and this type of stuff back in 2013-2014. It has been a concern for a while. When my husband was applying for citizenship our attorney told us to clean up our online activity. His was fine - lol. Mine needed some work. And yes totally did it so my husband could be permanently with me.
Understood.

I miss the pre smart phone days. In the 90s and early 2000s the internet was a useful utility but it didn't dominate our lives like today.

We could possibly return to that time if we repealed 230 which would likely kill social media but most would not support that I am sure.

Dean

Does anybody have the Wisephone?

I never would have imagined contemplating spending $400 on a phone, but I am on my first smartphone and was contemplating going back to a flip but the last few of those I had people couldn't understand me. To get a decent one now it's going to cost a couple hundred anyway and still have internet accessibility loaded on it.

The Wisephone thing has only calling, texting and driving directions (which is the one practical thing I like on smartphones). No internet browser.

Why $400 though? Makes me wonder if I'd be paying for the privilege of being a beta tester for the next generation of a less invasive surveillance technology.

OliviaD

What? We had FREEDOM before the smartphone.. it took it away.. I do have one, only use when absolutely necessary. Still have landline.

OliviaD

I agree that phones are making people more autistic but I also think that if someone is so boring that people pull their phone out while talking to them then that's that person's fault, not the phone's fault. As an example, I doubt that anyone on this forum would even consider pulling their phone out if in a face to face conversation with Dr. Peat. Time is the only precious resource, it's nonsensical to waste it for meaningless social norms like small talk when likely all people involved would rather be doing something else. Forcibly demanding respect and attention is parasitical in a sense.
How old are you? Because the mother in me wants to slap you upside the head for being such a narcissistic, small minded , inconsiderate, rude dolt who thinks other people exist only to entertain you!!!

You are so much a part of the culture that created you I do NOT doubt that anyone on this forum except other sad cases like you cannot see the sad reality you demonstrate.

OP
P

Peatness

I agree that phones are making people more autistic but I also think that if someone is so boring that people pull their phone out while talking to them then that's that person's fault, not the phone's fault. As an example, I doubt that anyone on this forum would even consider pulling their phone out if in a face to face conversation with Dr. Peat. Time is the only precious resource, it's nonsensical to waste it for meaningless social norms like small talk when likely all people involved would rather be doing something else. Forcibly demanding respect and attention is parasitical in a sense.
I had a trick in the past, if someone pulled out their phone whilst talking to me I pulled out my book and started reading. No one should be bored when talking to me. Even when I am talking rubbish I am entertaining. ?

lampofred

How old are you? Because the mother in me wants to slap you upside the head for being such a narcissistic, small minded , inconsiderate, rude dolt who thinks other people exist only to entertain you!!!

You are so much a part of the culture that created you I do NOT doubt that anyone on this forum except other sad cases like you cannot see the sad reality you demonstrate.
Why isn't it the other way around? Why isn't it "narcissistic, small minded, inconsiderate, and rude" to expect people to go out of their way to listen to you? People like you tend to expect an obsessive level of attention from others that they should only expect from romantic partners, yet they themselves don't give anything back in return, everything they say is fake, meaningless, gossip-y?

Cuberunner

Already ostracized enough from my peers, don't wanna go to the next level. Deleting regular social media apps was a start though.

Cuberunner

Already ostracized enough from my peers, don't wanna go to the next level. Deleting regular social media apps was a start though.
Responsible smartphone use is beneficial although I'm no expert. Also SMS on it's own is quite obsolete, encrypted SMS is a benefit you can only have by using smartphones as well as more secure calls

OliviaD

Why isn't it the other way around? Why isn't it "narcissistic, small minded, inconsiderate, and rude" to expect people to go out of their way to listen to you? People like you tend to expect an obsessive level of attention from others that they should only expect from romantic partners, yet they themselves don't give anything back in return, everything they say is fake, meaningless, gossip-y?
Now - I have to be fair in that my reply contained a high level of snarkiness, so I expect a defensive reply, with your accusations and perhaps that made it impossible for you to get the point.

Nowhere did I say I expected anyone to 'go out of their way to listen to me. I am also wondering how or why you would determine I need 'an obsessive level of attention. You are projecting onto me your egocentric point of view. Rather, to me every human being has a story, and is interesting, and often has something to teach us. I have never met a boring person. (have heard teachers and speakers give boring talks and lectures.. that is another topic). I think perhaps it is that some lack the conversational skills to draw 'interesting' out of people.

However.. if not, we also differ in a major way. I do not look at human interactions with the goal of "getting something in return". I think listening to others is a gift I give them.. it is something we do for each other as a part of being human. There are many levels, of communication : strangers in the street, acquaintances, friends, and obviously family and people we know intimately. So it is interesting you would suggest that someone like me would "except an obsessive level.... that should be expected from romantic partners. It leads me to think that perhaps that is a problem with the cell phone generations - you think that about me, because you experience a breakdown of social skills among these generations. Where the difference is lost. I can see that as on social media people share intimate details with their lives with the entire world. Perhaps that gets extrapolated to people in real life.

Also, it is sad that one would prefer interact with a phone than a live human being, given the opportunity. There are benefits to the latter that go beyond the content of the conversation, and it is not to get attention for most people; and that these concepts are absolutely foreign to you. I see an epidemic of loneliness among people, especially more so in the young than ever, and I think the lack of human interaction - including these seemingly unimportant casual ones with strangers contribute to that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals