Would You Sacrifice Your Smartphone For Your Freedom?

Soybean

I have used a dumbphone (it can only call and text very slowly) since last year and it has been very good for my mind.

What I found is also that the things on the phone (social media) are not that bad if they are not on the phone. I still use whatsapp etc because it is necessary where I live, but all with the computer. I keep the smartphone plugged in in a drawer and never take it out. When it is not in your pocket, it is not so intrusive anymore. When you go outside with only the dumb phone it is nice, you look around more, talk to people more, read more things like books and newspapers (just because youre bored otherwise). It makes a lot more space in the mind.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
When guests with "smart" phones come to my house, they must refrigerate the things for the duration. Uh, that goes in the crisper drawer, my friend.

Not only is the spyware defeated, but there is no annoying checking for text messages every few minutes. They can do it when they reach for a brew.
Great idea! I'll try it on my visitors - they already think I'm nuts but maybe it will put a new realization into their minds.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Don't forget - your phone is ALWAYS transmitting. "Just turn it off" - does NOTHING to stop phone surveillance.

Those advocating "just turn your phone off" may have the best intentions; if so, they don't understand how the phone actually works.

K

Kayaker

Some important points that are missed:

Smartphones are comfy. How will you set up a desktop computer to be as comfortable to use as a smartphone?

I successfully mounted a monitor to a desk so I could use it while lying down. It was nowhere as comfortable as using a smartphone because the monitor was above my neck or chest and restricted movement.

There might be chairs that are comfortable enough to sit in for hours, but do they produce VOCs like most modern furniture? Do they have toxic surface material? Also, do they have the proper posture? I heard some chairs ruined peoples’ postures. How would you determine what a good posture is without sitting in a chair for hours? Maybe it requires trial and error.

You are being tracked when you access the internet whether you use a smartphone or not. The only way not to be is to use internet in a public place. Then you still have a certain fingerprint, which is anonymous as long as the fingerprint is not connected to your other activities.

Of course, a smartphone would be connected to stuff like email, so it’d have to be another device. Preferably one that stores no permanent data at all, and one without identifying browser or OS types.

Older and less complicated tech is often safer, both in a health sense and privacy or security sense.

I don’t want to buy a new smartphone (android). I am suspicious of what new tech they have. I’ll have to someday. Maybe I’ll go with a „de-googled” phone like another reply in the thread suggested.

I don’t know if smartphones emit anything if it’s in airplane mode and the wifi and bluetooth is off. I wouldn’t believe it without evidence and I don’t know what kind of device could be used to test it. Dumb phones should also be tested. They may create an illusion of safety.

Same applies to a computer connected by a network cable in airplane mode, and with bluetooth off. I have no idea if anything is emitted and computers are technically not off even if they’re off and connected to the power.

EMF meters are different and probably react to anything electric such as lamps, etc.

Doc Sandoz

All of Canada or just Ontario? If the whole country, wow, vaxx fascism just north of the border of our free mountain state. I have an inkling of how the Swiss must've felt when Nazi Germany was rising to power.

OP
P

Peatness

All of Canada or just Ontario? If the whole country, wow, vaxx fascism just north of the border of our free mountain state. I have an inkling of how the Swiss must've felt when Nazi Germany was rising to power.
It might be Ontario for now but it won't be long before it spreads.

OP
P

Peatness