Would The Optimal Peat Diet Be Mostly Raw Animal Products And Fruit?

Brundle

I know there is a great deal of talk about budget and affordability here, but would the ideal human diet as informed by Ray Peat constitute mainly uncooked ingredients?

He has no problem with raw milk, and is supposed to have said that cooked meat offers little nutritional benefit beyond killing harmful bacteria. The foods he recommends be well-cooked are non-fruit plants like potatoes and kale, as well as fungi (mushrooms).

So if a person has access to animal foods that are fresh, organic and fed their natural diets, is raw the default healthy position, with cooking being a compromise for an imperfect world?

boris

I know there is a great deal of talk about budget and affordability here, but would the ideal human diet as informed by Ray Peat constitute mainly uncooked ingredients?

He has no problem with raw milk, and is supposed to have said that cooked meat offers little nutritional benefit beyond killing harmful bacteria. The foods he recommends be well-cooked are non-fruit plants like potatoes and kale, as well as fungi (mushrooms).

So if a person has access to animal foods that are fresh, organic and fed their natural diets, is raw the default healthy position, with cooking being a compromise for an imperfect world?

I heard him say in an interview that he rather cooks meat because he doesn't trust his digestion to do the job. But that raw meat provides more nutrition if you have good digestion.

What I am asking myself.. Why is cooked meat with a nice crust so tasty to us? Why do my cats have a taste for fried meat?

D

danishispsychic

when you need a massive parasite cleanse that will take a couple years to full rid you of them - hit me up

laleto12

i’ve tried that for a month. Eating raw meat gets super bland and disgusting after a while tbh.

mrchibbs

I'm sure occasional raw animal products does bring some benefits, especially if one is healthy with a high metabolism to begin with. It probably requires very good thyroid function to digest raw foods well, and deal with potential pathogens.

In general however, Ray emphasizes foods which are 1) highly nutritious and 2) easily digestible.

For instance it's better to eat sprouts rather than beans, and even better to cook the sprouts in a soup.

Some cuts would be very difficult to eat = oxtail for example. I'm sure many people have experienced intestinal distress from uncooked gelatin.

But an oxtail stew which has cooked for hours is easily digestible.

I think the emphasis needs to be on maximizing digestibility, especially when sick, but you can experiment with raw or lightly cooked foods as health improves. This is mostly true for meat. Veggies should be cooked thoroughly, as they contain anti-nutrients by their very nature.

Although there may be a role for things like small amounts of raw spring onions, I think they have anti-bacterial role in traditional cooking.

D

danishispsychic

This is coming from an account who promotes fasting aka starvation, dry starvation, etc.
i dont promote starving ever . if you research the Master Cleanse it is a cleanse . dry starvation? no.

D

danishispsychic

Can I, lady? And will you give me leave?
hi , my name is danish. i don't know what giving you leave is , but i am happy to share my full knowledge of parasite cleansing . i was serious . if you eat raw fish or meat you will get parasites. no problems if this does not bother you but it is not optimal .

Jessie

I wouldn't think so, no. Because our food supply is so degraded, it would be hard to find raw foods that are completely digestible and/or safe. Raw dairy, raw honey, and raw egg yolks, if sourced properly, are probably the only safe foods to eat raw.

Most of our fruits are actually picked green so they can survive the shipping process across country (or world). Shelf ripened fruits tend to cause many people digestive stress when eaten too frequently. Hence, why many of us turn to canned fruits or juice concentrates, which tend to be riper than fresh options. Or we cook our fresh fruits, increasing their digestibility.

I'm always skittish to say there's a "optimal peat diet" because Ray has reiterated on many occasions that context is everything, and what he might recommend for one person may be completely different for another.

A general rule of thumb is to go for low toxin high nutrition foods like milk, cheese, gelatin, liver, oysters, potato protein soup, kale broth, orange juice, honey, and fruits when possible. Limiting or eliminating problematic foods like whole grains, legumes, muscle meats, nuts, seeds, etc.

I believe the biophilosophy of RP takes serious issue with Foods that increase or enable infection, and is not really compatible with the notion of consumption of raw Foodstuff; a fresh carcass is somewhat different from a refrigeration treated meat as in that the former has lower contact time of pathogens with the Foodstuff. Larger Parasites are an issue in Nature and it is helpful that we skirt this problem through desinfection via heating.

B___Danny

I believe the biophilosophy of RP takes serious issue with Foods that increase or enable infection, and is not really compatible with the notion of consumption of raw Foodstuff; a fresh carcass is somewhat different from a refrigeration treated meat as in that the former has lower contact time of pathogens with the Foodstuff. Larger Parasites are an issue in Nature and it is helpful that we skirt this problem through desinfection via heating.
This notion is illogical. We digest the raw octopus, for example. Which is meat. And then you say we can’t digest the parasites, bacteria, and viruses which are also meat? We started cooking long before the notion of infectious disease came out, so we obviously didn't start cooking to defend against invisible things. I think it is because you can eat way more cooked meat than you can eat raw meat, so therefore we can extract more energy (calories) from an animal, or the sea, while some nutrients are killed.

Also in this thread people are saying cooked meat is easier to digest. It just shows that you are speaking from a place of ignorance, so you shouldn't be commenting. If you eat 1-2 pounds of raw fish you wont even feel it in your stomach even if you have bad digestion. If you have bad digestion and do the same for cooked meat, it would be way more uncomfortable. Anyone who was tried this, knows it.

Jessie

This notion is illogical. We digest the raw octopus, for example. Which is meat. And then you say we can’t digest the parasites, bacteria, and viruses which are also meat? We started cooking long before the notion of infectious disease came out, so we obviously didn't start cooking to defend against invisible things. I think it is because you can eat way more cooked meat than you can eat raw meat, so therefore we can extract more energy (calories) from an animal, or the sea, while some nutrients are killed.

Also in this thread people are saying cooked meat is easier to digest. It just shows that you are speaking from a place of ignorance, so you shouldn't be commenting. If you eat 1-2 pounds of raw fish you wont even feel it in your stomach even if you have bad digestion. If you have bad digestion and do the same for cooked meat, it would be way more uncomfortable. Anyone who was tried this, knows it.
Is that you sev3rige?

I heard him say in an interview that he rather cooks meat because he doesn't trust his digestion to do the job. But that raw meat provides more nutrition if you have good digestion.

What I am asking myself.. Why is cooked meat with a nice crust so tasty to us? Why do my cats have a taste for fried meat?
Don't know man - steak tartar digest way more easily for me than cooked ground beef - I can eat almost twice as much of it too without indigestion. Raw liver is the same.

Ben Stone

There answer in my experience is yes. For me, raw digests more easily and is superior tasting. Nothing beats hi quality raw meat with raw honey. I lost the taste for cooked some time ago. Raw marrow and honey is also a wonderful elixir. My diet is essentially based on a foundation of raw goat/sheep dairy (kefir, yogurt), raw ruminant meat, raw honey, and fruit with 1x weekly liver/oysters. Roughly 1.5 pounds of dairy, 1.5 pounds of fruit, and .5 pounds meat + 50-100 grams honey, daily.

The only processed (cooked) foods I tend to eat is daily bone broth for gelatin.

There answer in my experience is yes. For me, raw digests more easily and is superior tasting. Nothing beats hi quality raw meat with raw honey. I lost the taste for cooked some time ago. Raw marrow and honey is also a wonderful elixir. My diet is essentially based on a foundation of raw goat/sheep dairy (kefir, yogurt), raw ruminant meat, raw honey, and fruit with 1x weekly liver/oysters. Roughly 1.5 pounds of dairy, 1.5 pounds of fruit, and .5 pounds meat + 50-100 grams honey, daily.

The only processed (cooked) foods I tend to eat is daily bone broth for gelatin.

Where do you source the raw meat from? What is the reasoning behind it? No fear of infection?

boris

@Ben Stone Careful with the raw bone marrow. Sverige got campylobacter poisoning from it and almost got paralyzed

@4:30

ursidae

I remember you saying you got breakouts from reintroducing dairy. Did they subside on their own eventually?

Jessie

I'd be mindful of raw oyster consumption too. Raw oysters are high in thiaminase, which tends to break down thiamine. Despite all the trendy attention fat soluble vitamins get, thiamine is probably single handily the most important nutrient in the body. If you're deficient in it, nothing is going to work correctly, literally nothing. Thiamine is right up there with thyroid in terms of importance.

Of course, if you balance you consumption correctly, raw oysters are great because of the high zinc content. Just remember to not overdo them.