Would The Optimal Peat Diet Be Mostly Raw Animal Products And Fruit?

B___Danny

I'd be mindful of raw oyster consumption too. Raw oysters are high in thiaminase, which tends to break down thiamine. Despite all the trendy attention fat soluble vitamins get, thiamine is probably single handily the most important nutrient in the body. If you're deficient in it, nothing is going to work correctly, literally nothing. Thiamine is right up there with thyroid in terms of importance.

Of course, if you balance you consumption correctly, raw oysters are great because of the high zinc content. Just remember to not overdo them.
Proof?

And you don’t even realize what you are saying. If thiaminase is in there THATS GOOD. Its an enzyme that helps us digest the thiamine.

tankasnowgod

So if a person has access to animal foods that are fresh, organic and fed their natural diets, is raw the default healthy position, with cooking being a compromise for an imperfect world?

How fresh are you talking about here? When animals hunt in the wild, they mostly eat their kills right afterwards and in many cases, when the organism is still alive. Most of the body heat and such is still there. Even primitive cultures have cooking and preservation techniques using fire and the sun, so it's not a totally alien concept (like, say, the use of computers is).

If you can get meat within an hour of a kill, that's one thing. Of course, it depends on the meat, too. I have a friend who is a butcher focusing on grass fed meats and more organic/wild raised. He told me he wouldn't hesitate to eat the beef he sold raw, but would never attempt that with pork, even pasture raised.

I have eaten raw dairy, eggs, and oysters, FWIW. Although the raw oysters were also consumed alongside alcohol.

tankasnowgod

Proof?

And you don’t even realize what you are saying. If thiaminase is in there THATS GOOD. Its an enzyme that helps us digest the thiamine.

Why would thiamine need to be digested? It's thiamine that's useful, not broken down parts of thiamine. Thiaminase is considered an anti-nutrient. Eat too much thiaminase, and you can produce thiamine deficiency, and several other nasty conditions.

It's very few organisms that produce thiaminase (just some plants, fish, insects, and other sea creatures), so it doesn't seem necessary or useful for most animals on this planet, including all mammals.

Last edited:

B___Danny

Why would thiamine need to be digested? It's thiamine that's useful, not broken down parts of thiamine. Thiaminase is considered an anti-nutrient. Eat too much thiaminase, and you can produce thiamine deficiency.
Are you joking?

So next you're going to tell me lactase is an anti-nutrient for lactose?

Anything that ends in -ase helps digest/absorb the molecule.

tankasnowgod

Are you joking?

So next you're going to tell me lactase is an anti-nutrient for lactose?

Anything that ends in -ase helps digest/absorb the molecule.

Not joking, and you simply don't know what you are talking about.

Thiaminase - Wikipedia

"It was first described as the cause of highly mortal ataxic neuropathy in fur producing foxes eating raw entrails of river fish like carp in 1941.

It is also known as the cause of cerebrocortical necrosis of cattle and polioencephalomalasia of sheep eating thiaminase containing plants.[11][12]

It was once causing economical losses in raising fisheries, e.g. in yellowtail fed raw anchovy as a sole feed for a certain period, and also in sea bream and rainbow trout. The same problem is being studied in a natural food chain system.[13]

The larvae of a wild silk worm Anaphe venata are being consumed in a rain forest district of Nigeria as a supplemental protein nutrition, and the heat resistant thiaminase in it is causing an acute seasonal cerebellar ataxia.[14]

In 1860–61, Burke and Wills were the first Europeans to cross Australia south to north; on their return they subsisted primarily on raw nardoo-fern. It is possible that this led to their death due to the extremely high levels of thiaminase contained in nardoo. The Aborigines prepared nardoo by soaking the sporocarps in water for at least a day to avoid the effects of thiamine deficiency that would result from ingesting the leaves raw. In the explorers' journals they noted many symptoms of thiamine deficiency, so it is thought that they did not soak the nardoo long enough. Eventually thiamine deficiency could have led to their demise. It is noteworthy to mention that there are several other hypotheses regarding what may have killed Burke and Wills and it is widely disagreed upon by historians and scientists alike.[2]"

You might want to cite some better evidence than simply the spelling of a word.

The term "anti-nutrient" refers to the effects on the organism, NOT the effects on components that the organism is eating. So saying that "Lactase is an anti-nutrient for Lactose" is ridiculous. Especially since humans can use the simple sugars that are broken down from lactose.

Jessie

@tankasnowgod I recommend avoiding this individual. He's a Vonderplanitz shill, and has done nothing but spread his quackery since being here. Wondering why he's here at all tbh.

We wouldn’t have started cooking meat if we were supposed to eat raw meat it’s literally tasteless. Having it as some nice dish like how they do tartare is good though because you don’t gag on it lmfao the flavorings they use for it are great

PaRa

We wouldn’t have started cooking meat if we were supposed to eat raw meat it’s literally tasteless. Having it as some nice dish like how they do tartare is good though because you don’t gag on it lmfao the flavorings they use for it are great

Beef carpaccio with grated Parmesan, lime juice and a little bit of ev olive oil is gorgeous

but salted rare Beef chunk is more versatile and pleasant on the regular

lvysaur

I've never understood the raw meat diet. I know nutrients can be diminished by cooking, but is it really significant? Especially considering that a lot of beef is cooked to medium rare temperatures?

I've always viewed it as a form of new age "masculinity" compensation. Not to say that everyone who parttakes does so for this reason, but absolutely a large portion do.

I've never understood the raw meat diet. I know nutrients can be diminished by cooking, but is it really significant? Especially considering that a lot of beef is cooked to medium rare temperatures?

I've always viewed it as a form of new age "masculinity" compensation. Not to say that everyone who parttakes does so for this reason, but absolutely a large portion do.

Yeah the nutrient “damage” is like minuscule. There was this one raw meat guy on YT and I’m pretty sure he was eating like zero carb just raw meat and he ended up hospitalized due to his blood sugar getting absolutely destroyed. So carnivorous...

Indeed, the Raw Eating style is a complex mystery, but it is at least partly explainable, besides the very plausible fragile male syndrome, by sheer naivety and lack of high detail knowledge. As a heuristic, eat what is available and eat like an animal, Raw Dieting is not as stupid as it sounds, but seriously flawed by the lack of knowledge and lack of concern for Foodprocessing in general and meatprocessing in particular, and the associated danger of severe microbiological and macrobiological infection. Whatever it is, it's foundation lies on insecurities of the knowledge base. The loss of vitamins is around 30% or so, loss of Cobalamin can reach up to 75%; also, taurine is labile under cooking conditions iirc. But these issues are very minor compared to thorough infestations.

Yeah the nutrient “damage” is like minuscule. There was this one raw meat guy on YT and I’m pretty sure he was eating like zero carb just raw meat and he ended up hospitalized due to his blood sugar getting absolutely destroyed. So carnivorous...

Who was it? That was the cause? Did he showed off markers, labs or such.

Nuancé

A bit inspired of Aajonus Vonderplanitz ?

Careful with parasites and harmful bacterias. A friend of mine got severe food poisoning from raw milk. I've personnally had a little food poisoning from wild oyster, just a gastroenteritis for 2/3 days but quite strong.
Raw vegetables can be hard to digest.

Ben Stone

Where do you source the raw meat from? What is the reasoning behind it? No fear of infection?

There is no reasoning but instinct. I was eating cooked carnivore for several years. Over time I naturally moved to only craving blue steaks, and then naturally preferred some things raw, and then all things, with few exceptions. I source fresh from small pastured farms, largely Amish and Mennonite, or high quality butchers. I do not eat previously frozen meat.

@Ben Stone Careful with the raw bone marrow. Sverige got campylobacter poisoning from it and almost got paralyzed

@4:30

I am aware of this individual. IMO he gives otherwise neurotypical folks who enjoy raw food a bad name, he is not normal. That being said, I have eaten marrow raw for nearly 3 years, often 100-200 grams at a time, and never had an issue. I have faith in my digestive system, but I did build up to raw over time, so that might have allowed my biome to optimize for it.

I remember you saying you got breakouts from reintroducing dairy. Did they subside on their own eventually?

Thankfully yes. I heard from others persistence may be the key, but in my case I credit raw goat kefir. I had avoided dairy ferments, channeling Peat-y ideas against bacteria, but ultimately found that when incorporating them the breakouts ended, and rather abruptly at that. I still do not enjoy the taste of fresh milk but I seem to crave goat/sheep kefir and yogurts. Having been "lactose intolerant" and not consuming dairy in 30 years, I just bypassed cow all together but I suspect I would be fine with it, but prefer goat and sheep for taste.

I'd be mindful of raw oyster consumption too. Raw oysters are high in thiaminase, which tends to break down thiamine. Despite all the trendy attention fat soluble vitamins get, thiamine is probably single handily the most important nutrient in the body. If you're deficient in it, nothing is going to work correctly, literally nothing. Thiamine is right up there with thyroid in terms of importance.

Of course, if you balance you consumption correctly, raw oysters are great because of the high zinc content. Just remember to not overdo them.

I eat liver and oysters only once weekly, it is a chore to open oysters. Thankfully I have not noticed any adverse issues from them.

It was this guy called “Haleman” Don’t think so think he just did some livestream and he was going mental

"Haleman hospitalised because of carnivore diet - goes back to eating standard diet"

"They" say he ate raw meat, and not that it was for bloodsugar issues, seems like Foodpoisoning, others say he is a covert vegan shill lol.

Ableton

I think the problem with cooking food/meat is in the way you cook it. At least for me.

I can not speak about raw meat, never tried it, never will. But steaming stuff instead of cooking it in oil (even sat fats) seems to remove a lot of inflammation from my body, or rather not inflame me like heated fats do.
I never ate fried stuff for that reason. But even small amounts of heated coco oil doesn't go well with me. I get back acne and odor from it. If I have the same meal with the same amount of oil cold beforehand (thats how I make sure I get all the nutrients from the food, need to have some fat with it if its low fat to begin with) I do not have that response.

I do not think most people react like me though.

However, I will also add as an anecdote, that I have once resided at a french family. Both were doctors in their 60s, looked EXTREMELY healthy. They had an oven which you can use to steam cook your food (you add water to it and it creates the steam inside), and never used heated fats. But I assure you this anecdote has nothing to do with the first paragraph. It's kind of common sense that heated fats are not great (even if you use the best one for it, coco oil, its not optimal for your health). Its just that no one cares about it I feel like.

It might also be a matter of how high the fat temperature is. I just avoid heating it altogether. Obviously, I miss out on taste this way, and when I steam meat, the fat in the meat is still going to be heated. I am trying to do it as carefully as I can, but do not feel as it's as inflammatory as cooking oil. Possibly because of lower temperatures.

So my take on it is that the main benefits you get from eating raw meat is heated fat avoidance.

Jib

Big fan of raw fruit. Most primates are frugivores.

Not so much raw meat. I've done it. Don't care for it. And same with raw dairy. I have no issues with supermarket milk although obviously it could be higher quality. Have had many bowel issues from raw milk every time I've had it. Would love to have just pasteurized, non-homogenized milk from quality cattle treated humanely. If I had more money I would probably ask if this local farm could pasteurize their Jersey milk for me. I'd totally do that. Much higher quality in general.

Raw fruit and dairy have been making up the vast majority of my diet these days. Mostly homemade kefir, and some cheese. Apples/bananas/peaches/blueberries/pears/oranges. I just gave up on avoiding fiber and potential issues with stone fruits and I feel fine. I tolerate whole fruits much better than fruit juices. Tend to get energy crashes from fruit juice or just feeling sluggish and wasted. Whole fruit fills me up and generally leaves me feeling calm.

DonLore

A google search tells me oysters do not have thiaminase

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals