Would sleeping underneath a blanket/pillow replicate some benefits of bag breathing and high altitude living? does oxygen cause aging/degeneration?

Dr. B

would sleeping under the pillow/blanket allow you to get some benefits similar to bag breathing and high altitude living? or is it worth purchasing a high altitude tent? i heard you may also need a machine alongside the high altitude tent in order to create the low air pressure needed? if thats the case, are these kinds of machines safe?
I heard some athletes have their entire bedroom set up as a high altitude environment. Im guessing they use a machine of some sort to replicate and create the low oxygen/low air pressure environment.
would having a low oxygen low air pressure (high altitude) environment also help preserve everything in that room, whether its you, or the furniture, shoes, jewelry, food items, supplements, etc?

would sleeping under the pillow/blanket allow you to get some benefits similar to bag breathing and high altitude living? or is it worth purchasing a high altitude tent? i heard you may also need a machine alongside the high altitude tent in order to create the low air pressure needed? if thats the case, are these kinds of machines safe?
I heard some athletes have their entire bedroom set up as a high altitude environment. Im guessing they use a machine of some sort to replicate and create the low oxygen/low air pressure environment.
would having a low oxygen low air pressure (high altitude) environment also help preserve everything in that room, whether its you, or the furniture, shoes, jewelry, food items, supplements, etc?
I would think it might be dangerous to sleep under a blanket. I know with bag breathing you can get lighted headed and even pass out when doing it too long, so would we wake up under a blanket when oxygen gets too sparse?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
There was an observational study somewhere that showed negative health effects from sleeping under the blanket...

I used to do it just for a bit to help me warm up and calm down; it worked well for that. Now when needed, I just have paper bags and carbonated water.

Beastmode

Check the search function on here as it's been discussed and answers these questions.

Any moving up or down regarding altitude requires a slow adaptation of the system (i.e- hormones.) Hence, why a gradual ascent or descent is the safest. The machines are bypassing all this and possibly creating more stress. All the things that happen when the body is under stress (i.e- FFA release, etc) are relevant and worth considering when trying these "hacks."

OP
D

Dr. B

There was an observational study somewhere that showed negative health effects from sleeping under the blanket...

I used to do it just for a bit to help me warm up and calm down; it worked well for that. Now when needed, I just have paper bags and carbonated water.
didnt someone post on here about bag breathing being dangerous due to that study of sleeping under the blanket.
shouldnt sleeping under the blanket provide similar benefits to bag breathing except its for a much longer time period since its hours instead of minutes?

Check the search function on here as it's been discussed and answers these questions.

Any moving up or down regarding altitude requires a slow adaptation of the system (i.e- hormones.) Hence, why a gradual ascent or descent is the safest. The machines are bypassing all this and possibly creating more stress. All the things that happen when the body is under stress (i.e- FFA release, etc) are relevant and worth considering when trying these "hacks."

good to know. what about a low oxygen environment, wouldnt this preserve everything in that room better? whether its clothing, liquid supplements/fragrances, shoes, jewelry, etc. and do you think its worth sleeping under a blanket daily.

It is terribly uncomfortable sleeping under the covers!

I use a cardboard box with a pillow inside, only one side of the box open, and lay this on my bed. I lay down and put my head inside, and use a light blanket to cover the opening, so my upper torso is in the box and the blanket drapes over the opening to prevent air flow. After about 3 minutes, I become quite warm and relaxed, and every 10 minutes or so I will ventilate the box by fanning the blanket, take some deep breaths of fresh air, and then go back to buteyko style breathing. I like it better than bag breathing. Not great for a full sleep though, because it needs the occasional ventilation. It's perfect for an afternoon nap of 15-20 minutes, and you can adjust the blanket to leave a crack of the opening for a little bit of airflow for napping.

I use a cardboard box with a pillow inside, only one side of the box open, and lay this on my bed. I lay down and put my head inside, and use a light blanket to cover the opening, so my upper torso is in the box and the blanket drapes over the opening to prevent air flow. After about 3 minutes, I become quite warm and relaxed, and every 10 minutes or so I will ventilate the box by fanning the blanket, take some deep breaths of fresh air, and then go back to buteyko style breathing. I like it better than bag breathing. Not great for a full sleep though, because it needs the occasional ventilation. It's perfect for an afternoon nap of 15-20 minutes, and you can adjust the blanket to leave a crack of the opening for a little bit of airflow for napping.
That is so fascinating Shan! How very creative!

Ulysses

Rebreathing the air under your blanket all night is too long of an exposure to cause beneficial adaptations. You will get brain damage.

OP
D

Dr. B

Rebreathing the air under your blanket all night is too long of an exposure to cause beneficial adaptations. You will get brain damage.
How would it cause brain damage? What’s in the air that would cause that

Ulysses

Birdie

I sleep this way with the top of the comforter over my head. At an old Fb group, it was popular to do that and bag breathing. Some were using a plastic bag at work because it was more quiet. I stopped bag breathing but still put the edge of the comforter over my face.

I'm pretty sure Ray has said bag breathing never can be as beneficial as high altitude living.