Would Fruit / Fruit Juices / Milk Fill Up Muscle Glycogen Just As Good As Starches Do Such As Rice /

OP
thms

thms

Because glucose is better for that purpose and sucrose is only 50% glucose. Why not just eat half of your carbs from starch and half from sucrose?

any evidence to back up that its "better"?

why is it better?

i could eat half of my carbs from starch but than again if sugar fills it up just fine why eat starch?

cs3000

old thread but

i think sucrose replenishes glycogen 2x faster than starch carbs but cant find where i got that from.
starches break down to glucose and sucrose is better than glucose for glycogen. with fruit juice you're getting sucrose + fructose + glucose, without the need to convert the starch first

sucrose increases liver glycogen better than glucose alone
zdg0101618140002.jpeg

for muscle glycogen they replenish about the same

Fructose is favored by the liver so thats why you get better liver glycogen with sucrose vs glucose.
but the problem is high fructose also raises lactate. orange juice = around 1/3 fructose 1/3 glucose 1/3 sucrose i think. so maybe slightly better than 50/50 with sucrose

zdg0101618140004.jpeg

5 hours into the study liver glycogen was not fully replenished

~1.2g/kg per hour of sugar tops out the speed of muscle glycogen recovery

but you can speed it up ~30% faster if you keep up the carb intake every 15 - 30 mins,
or if you combine the carb intake with protein Regulation of Muscle Glycogen Repletion, Muscle Protein Synthesis and Repair Following Exercise

When rapid recovery from prolonged exercise is a key objective, and maximal performance is required within 24 h, it is advised to consume more than 1 g carbohydrate−1·kg body mass−1·h−1, starting as soon as possible after exercise and at frequent intervals thereafter (i.e., every 30 min). When ingested in the form of glucose–fructose mixtures (or sucrose), not only is this ingestion rate more tolerable [than glucose alone] due to lower gut discomfort but total body glycogen status can also be enhanced over glucose (polymer) ingestion alone, due to greater liver glycogen repletion

1.7g sucrose per minute during exercise keeps liver glycogen stable

Last edited:

Vins7

If you are looking for published studies you wont find an answer...because it depends on many things

Such as your Liver Health, Digestion, Bowel health, Macronutrient proportions( especially amount of fat), levels of thyroid, CO2 ....

For majority of people Sugar(sucrose) is probably not enough and as good as glucose( starch) for filling up muscle glycogen
Should they reduce fat intake?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals