Would Drinking Coffee Along With Turmeric Inhibit Iron Absorption?

Astolfo

7 Grams of turmeric contains %16 of RDA. Can I make it less absorbable by drinking coffee(1 cup turkish coffee) along with turmeric+black pepper? Would it interfere with the bioavailability of curcumin?

Maljam

I see you are posting a ton of threads about iron. Why not just donate blood every 3 months and eat and drink what you want? It's much easier than obsessing over the minutiae.

OP
A

Astolfo

I see you are posting a ton of threads about iron. Why not just donate blood every 3 months and eat and drink what you want? It's much easier than obsessing over the minutiae.
I'm legally not allowed to donate blood.

Btw, short time after i opened this topic, i read that turmeric is a bad choice for chelating iron because most of curcumin it contains bonded with iron. That's why turmeric is rich in iron.

Jessie

Have you had any blood tests recently? Knowing where your iron markers are would help put everything into perspective. I think it's common for most people to rush into the mindset that iron is toxic, and the less they eat the better. This is not always true, or even most of the time true.

Might I remind you, it's exceedingly hard to get overabundance of iron from plant foods. It's not exceptionally easy to even do it with animal foods. The easiest way to get iron overload is to have a low metabolic rate, which displaces copper for iron. In that scenario, a diet high in iron (fortified foods, muscle meats, etc.) can become rather toxic.

Get your serum iron and fettrin levels checked before making any brazen moves. Coffee, copper, calcium, and aspirin are some things that will downregulate iron. Coffee is very effective at preventing non-heme iron absorption (90% inhibited), and around 30% inhibition for heme iron. So I don't think turmeric will cause much concern in this regard.

OP
A

Astolfo

@Jessie Hey :hand:

Here you can see:

My Iron Levels Are Ok?

Thanks. I think too low metabolic rate is what makes me toxic in those metals. Since pssd, I got several metabolic disturbances, slowly worsening over time. My pssd is not only neurological, but also metabolical.

David90

Coffee and Milk/Cheese with your Meals inhibit Iron Absorption. As Well as Dietary Polyphenols in a Dose Dependent Matter....