Would Dessicated Thyroid Supplementation Hamper Natural T3 Production?

I'm wondering the same thing too with adrenal supplements as well.

How would natural supplements affect the function of these glands? I wouldn't want to take something a while to crash and burn if I were to gradually stop or keep dosing a specific way.

My interest is something that can significantly help thyroid/adrenals but not replace its function, kind of like naturally boosting testosterone without actually taking AAS/steroids basically at shutdown doses.

Orangeyouglad

I want to bump this one. I’m curious as well since I’ve started taking NDT this past month.

Dotdash

Any thyroid med - natural or synthetic - can shut down all thyroid function IF too much is taken. In a recent interview with Dr Peat and Jodelle he relays his experience of completely shutting his thyroid down by too much synthetic meds. His was an "on purpose" experiment - not one recommended. He repeatedly expresses the idea of using "physiological" doses of thyroid. I personally take NDT and have had blood work done verifying its efficacy. Over the years I've also taken a lot and a little of varying synthetic thyroid meds along with blood work. The T3 and T4 levels varied but they were always represented as "existing". It seems a person would be more hampered in producing T3 if their liver was dysfunctional than if a reasonable amount of NDT was being taken.

Lollipop2

Any thyroid med - natural or synthetic - can shut down all thyroid function IF too much is taken. In a recent interview with Dr Peat and Jodelle he relays his experience of completely shutting his thyroid down by too much synthetic meds. His was an "on purpose" experiment - not one recommended. He repeatedly expresses the idea of using "physiological" doses of thyroid. I personally take NDT and have had blood work done verifying its efficacy. Over the years I've also taken a lot and a little of varying synthetic thyroid meds along with blood work. The T3 and T4 levels varied but they were always represented as "existing". It seems a person would be more hampered in producing T3 if their liver was dysfunctional than if a reasonable amount of NDT was being taken.
Hi @Dotdash What is a “reasonable amount? How much NDT do you take?

Dave Clark

Also, see the thread that shows taking T3 temporarily can bring the thyroid back to proper function, just the opposite.

Dotdash

Hi @Dotdash What is a “reasonable amount? How much NDT do you take?

"Reasonable" is based on what a normal functioning thyroid produces in a days time. But that still is based on individuality. I take 1 and 1/4 grains per day. RP recently said in an interview that the healthy person makes 4 grains of thyroid per day, and that supplementing 2 grains daily would be a good dose; however, more should be used if needed. A grain of NDT equals 60mg. The body "normally" makes about 240mg thyroid per day. Remember, "mg" is used with NDT products but "mcg" is used with synthetic amounts.
The 1-1/4 grains keeps my TSH below zero. However, it is winter and I also take Tyronene (T3) for an extra boost. That is one drop in 8 ounces of water sipped via one ounce shot glass during the day as needed.
Hope that helps.

Lollipop2

"Reasonable" is based on what a normal functioning thyroid produces in a days time. But that still is based on individuality. I take 1 and 1/4 grains per day. RP recently said in an interview that the healthy person makes 4 grains of thyroid per day, and that supplementing 2 grains daily would be a good dose; however, more should be used if needed. A grain of NDT equals 60mg. The body "normally" makes about 240mg thyroid per day. Remember, "mg" is used with NDT products but "mcg" is used with synthetic amounts.
The 1-1/4 grains keeps my TSH below zero. However, it is winter and I also take Tyronene (T3) for an extra boost. That is one drop in 8 ounces of water sipped via one ounce shot glass during the day as needed.
Hope that helps.
That does help. Thank you. I have seen it asked a few times on this forum at what point or rather how much exogenous NDT or thyroid supplementation would cause a suppression of endogenous production. I haven’t seen a reply; but if the body makes about 4 grains or 240mg, I assume one grain would not cause that suppression.

WojciechMajda

I agree, that if taken in a higher dose, it will suppress. Small, not so much.
I tried to ween off NDT a year ago (for an experiment), I stopped it cold turkey (from 3 grains). It was not a pleasant experience. On 3rd day I felt worse than I felt before starting NDT.

Fexxx

I‘m also interested - is there a rough guideline based on experiences how much NDT can be taken without suppressing the natural production? Eg 1/4 Grain with Food once or twice daily…?