Would D Ribose Increase Carbon Dioxide ?

uuy8778yyi

good ?

bad ?

useless ?

a scam ?

irrelevant ?

any thoughts on this supplement ?

freyasam

I am interested in trying this. It's been shown to help with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

SQu

I took it for those things and it was brilliant till it stopped having any effect a few weeks later. This was painfully disappointing after the excitement of feeling so much better overnight. I tried it again occasionally over the next few years but felt less and less each time. Maybe it still does some good, I don't know. It tastes nice eg in coffee but is expensive. I'd also like to know the answers to those questions of yours.

OP
uuy8778yyi

uuy8778yyi

from personal experience

my body temperature always goes up when using it

but I get the same feeling from it as sugar deprivation and craving, which I remember I would get from childhood, like a cold sweat.

Parsifal

According to powdercity it works by increasing ATP levels? I've not really understood yet what was the use and meaning of uncoupling, increasing metabolism, etc though.

yoshiesque

I am considering on trying a stack of supplements to reverse insulin resistance and was wondering if this would help? I have come across forums where people have reported results on this helping with energy. Actually since fatigue is also an issue id like to know whether this is something worth trying out?

paymanz

wikipedia says arabic gum is a source of it!what dose of d rebose is enough?maybe arabic gum is good to supplement?!

peep

Im using D-ribose for Powerlifting purposes.

May be placebo but I like it either way. + My adrenals could need some help too

Xisca

When you need to make brand new ATP, the process is much quicker from D-ribose than from glucose.

chronic fatigue syndrome
yes
it stopped having any effect a few weeks later
.............. This needs to be enquired! See below what you can be concerned about?
but I get the same feeling from it as sugar deprivation and craving,
Craving means energy need?
A friend with MCS could not stand it. She eats rice but no sugar either.
it works by increasing ATP levels?
yes, look at the link below
I recall d ribose is just an expensive way of eating sugar
NO, seems not!

D-ribose - DoctorMyhill

"ATP in releasing energy is converted to ADP (2-phosphates) which is recycled back through mitochondria to ATP (3-phosphates). However, if the system is really pushed then the body can extract energy from ADP by converting it into AMP (1-phosphate). The problem is that AMP is very slowly recycled, if at all, and most is lost from the cell. This means that the body has to make brand new ATP. This it does from D-Ribose and this it can do very quickly. The trouble is the body making D-Ribose. Normally this is made from glucose. However if the cell is lacking in energy then any glucose lying around can be converted to lactic acid to generate energy. The problem here is twofold - first of all the lactic acid causes pain. Secondly any glucose that was previously swilling around is now not available to make D-ribose."

Two problems I sometimes see:
  1. The fermenting gut. If there are bacteria or yeast in the upper gut then D-ribose may be fermented to produce alcohol and gas. In this event I suggest reducing the daily dose to 5 grams, holding it in the mouth as long as possible - some will be absorbed here. Space doses throughout the day.
  2. Corn sensitivity. D-ribose is derived from corn and some CFSs who are corn sensitive will react allergically to it. If this is a problem, please see here for a corn free D Ribose product. There are others available.
D-ribose is going to work best when the other aspects of mitochondrial metabolism are addressed, namely Co-enzyme Q10, L-carnitine, magnesium, niacinamide, detoxificiation and antioxidant regimes where appropriate.

Anything which can be done to prevent damage to mitochondria will also be extremely helpful. There are many ways in which mitochondria can be damaged such as viral infection, pesticides, heavy metals, hormone imbalances, allergies, low blood sugar or high blood sugar, micronutrient deficiencies, lack of sleep, etc. D-ribose is, therefore, an adjunct to my standard work up for treating chronic fatigue syndrome. Clinically I expect D-ribose to improve the symptom of delayed fatigue in sufferers as well as improve stamina.

David PS

Terma

Thanks for those links, one or two might not have read yet.

Ribose is a relatively natural-feeling way to increase metabolism, notably logically it would be expected to increase tryptophan/kynurenine/quinolinic acid metabolism (unlike nicotinamide riboside, unless it got broken down by some enzyme), however I don't take it every day... not sure this was linked here:

D-Ribose Induces Cellular Protein Glycation and Impairs Mouse Spatial Cognition
Dietary Sugars and Endogenous Formation of Advanced Glycation Endproducts: Emerging Mechanisms of Disease
A few years later, Suarez et al. found that the rate of glycoxidation of bovine serum albumin by fructose was about 10 times higher than that by glucose [34]. Since then, other studies have confirmed the sequence ribose > fructose > glucose for the rate of glycoxidation [35,36], even if some of them failed to detect relevant differences on the glycation potential of fructose compared to glucose in terms of time and intensity of browning during incubation with amino acids [37,38].

That said, carnosine is an AGE inhibitor, and histidine + beta-alanine just happens to be one of the best combos I've used, so it lowers my concern a little:

The Inhibition of Advanced Glycation End Products by Carnosine and Other Natural Dipeptides to Reduce Diabetic and Age‐Related Complications
Carnosine has been shown to prevent AGE formations through reduction of blood glucose, prevention of early glycation, and even reversing previously formed AGEs. Other promising peptides and amino acids include β‐alanine, L‐histidine, homocarnosine, anserine, and glutathione.

I don't focus on CO2 though I have no particular reason to discount it as a possibility - do I remember correctly someone said it fights glycation? Other things do that anyway:

Prevention of diabetes-increased aging effect on rat collagen-linked fluorescence by aminoguanidine and rutin. - PubMed - NCBI
Zinc inhibits glycation induced structural, functional modifications in albumin and protects erythrocytes from glycated albumin toxicity. - PubMed - NCBI

(This became well-known on phoenix rising forum, except I don't remember many mentions of histidine, and that one is really cool it turns out - not exactly sure what it does to mineral absorption and delivery though, so not at every meal and not daily for me... you see the pattern)

(Note I don't recall studies that directly measured AGE formation prevention by these substances following D-ribose administration specifically, so these aren't exactly guarantees)

(typos = I need sleep, no typos = ok keep going)

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Thanks for those links, one or two might not have read yet.

Ribose is a relatively natural-feeling way to increase metabolism, notably logically it would be expected to increase tryptophan/kynurenine/quinolinic acid metabolism (unlike nicotinamide riboside, unless it got broken down by some enzyme), however I don't take it every day... not sure this was linked here:

D-Ribose Induces Cellular Protein Glycation and Impairs Mouse Spatial Cognition
Dietary Sugars and Endogenous Formation of Advanced Glycation Endproducts: Emerging Mechanisms of Disease

That said, carnosine is an AGE inhibitor, and histidine + beta-alanine just happens to be one of the best combos I've used, so it lowers my concern a little:

The Inhibition of Advanced Glycation End Products by Carnosine and Other Natural Dipeptides to Reduce Diabetic and Age‐Related Complications

I don't focus on CO2 though I have no particular reason to discount it as a possibility - do I remember correctly someone said it fights glycation? Other things do that anyway:

Prevention of diabetes-increased aging effect on rat collagen-linked fluorescence by aminoguanidine and rutin. - PubMed - NCBI
Zinc inhibits glycation induced structural, functional modifications in albumin and protects erythrocytes from glycated albumin toxicity. - PubMed - NCBI

(This became well-known on phoenix rising forum, except I don't remember many mentions of histidine, and that one is really cool it turns out - not exactly sure what it does to mineral absorption and delivery though, so not at every meal and not daily for me... you see the pattern)

(Note I don't recall studies that directly measured AGE formation prevention by these substances following D-ribose administration specifically, so these aren't exactly guarantees)

(typos = I need sleep, no typos = ok keep going)
Will is 5 g of ribose, 100 g of fucose, and 300 g of dextrose? Wow is distribution? Is fetal pattern won't adverse events?

upload_2019-9-28_10-41-33.png