Worth It To Replace Microwave With Steam Convection Oven?

Cirion

boxers

How comes? Microwaves are awesome

That oven looks good though... i would use both

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Well, the idea is that using a microwave could either irradiate you directly or indirectly through the food you cook with it. Yes I know, a little tin-foil-hatty, but I'm going all in with my health at this point.

tankasnowgod

Well, the idea is that using a microwave could either irradiate you directly or indirectly through the food you cook with it. Yes I know, a little tin-foil-hatty, but I'm going all in with my health at this point.

I have seen those steam ovens, and they look cool, but I can't get over the price.

That said, I don't really use the microwave, anymore. I have a convection oven and instant pot, and will use those to re-heat things most of the time, or use the stove top. I think food comes out tasting better and with better mouth feel than a microwave (which usually makes food too dry), regardless of radiation issues (which I believe may have some legitimacy).

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Can things like microwaves & other common forms of radiation like x-rays, gamma rays actually transform let's say, Iodine into a radioactive form of it?

If that's true then that's truly major bad news. Radioactive Iodine is the quickest way to destroy your hormone gland, 10 times worse than bromine, flourine, or chlorine.

Herbie

Its ok to use a microwave if you wear a tin foil hat while doing so.

In all serious, im sceptical about them and dont use them, I use the oven.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Its ok to use a microwave if you wear a tin foil hat while doing so.

In all serious, im sceptical about them and dont use them, I use the oven.

I just asked my dad. He got his Ph.D. in materials science and is very knowledgeable about radiation having worked in a nuclear power plant most of his career. This is his answer at least in terms of radioactive iodine:

My Q: Can a microwave or other common sources of radiation cause iodine to become irradiated?

Answer: No. Only neutron irradiation can produce radioactive isotopes. Microwaves, gamma rays, x-rays cannot do so.

This doesn't necessarily mean microwaves are safe, but at least they don't irradiate iodine (or other elements apparently). Iodine which in my opinion is the worst element to irradiate because that bonds straight to the thyroid which would cause all sorts of disasterous effects on the body.

Herbie

I just asked my dad. He got his Ph.D. in materials science and is very knowledgeable about radiation having worked in a nuclear power plant most of his career. This is his answer at least in terms of radioactive iodine:

My Q: Can a microwave or other common sources of radiation cause iodine to become irradiated?

Answer: No. Only neutron irradiation can produce radioactive isotopes. Microwaves, gamma rays, x-rays cannot do so.

This doesn't necessarily mean microwaves are safe, but at least they don't irradiate iodine (or other elements apparently). Iodine which in my opinion is the worst element to irradiate because that bonds straight to the thyroid which would cause all sorts of disasterous effects on the body.

Thats good to know. The things ive herd about are changing structure of water molecules or something, people are concerned about the food not digesting well due to radiation altering it. I thought it was interesting that Ray uses one.

fradon

steaming is the way to go. after my microwave died i just turned to steaming everything and its a lot healthier.

sunny

Did
Did you end up buying one?
On your link the price is $252. Is that the same as when you were looking at it in 2018?

I have an instapot. Cheap stainless pot liner.

I am trying to find the best thing to replace it with for times that you need quick and convenient cooking.

We cook all meals, but don't always have alot of time.