World's Strongest Man Hafthor Bjornsson And Stan Efferding Follow Many Of Peat's Ideas

Yo! sup peeps? :D
Found this great interview of Stan Efferding discussing his views on nutrition/fitness, and how he does coaching to strong man competitor Hafpor Julius Bjornsson and power lifter Larry Wheels.
Efferding also has the "world's strongest bodybuilder" nickname :P
Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson - Wikipedia
Seems he enjoys Chris Kresser work. I don't know much on Kresser but I assume he might share some of Peat's ideas?

Sorry I did not write down specific times but he does talk over Peat's ideas like:
-OJ for liver/thyroid
-fructose/dextrose/salt/caffeine drink for after workouts
-5+ meals a day esp from beef(steak)/white rice, maybe potatoes or low gas veggies... cannot recall if fruits were mentioned.
-carrots
-avoid pufa's and use saturated fats
-cholesterol
-pregnenolone/testosterone/thyroid/insulin
-blood tests
-increasing metabolism
-short, intense lifting.
-importance of sleep
-importance of minerals/vitamins

Here is another vid. He has his own youtube channel and also is featured on other youtube channels dealing with bodybuilding/power lifting.

Stan "Rhino" Efferding (@stanefferding) • Instagram photos and videos
Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (@thorbjornsson) • Instagram photos and videos
Larry (@larrywheels) • Instagram photos and videos

Sobieski

I've seen his videos and noticed similarities before. Such as increasing metabolic efficiency so you can eat more calories whilst not gaining fat. Hopefully as Peat's ideas gain acceptance he receives the recognition he deserves, and isn't overshadowed by various internet personas.

cyclops

He says not to cool and reheat your rice because it creates resistant starch. Interesting, I thought someone on here recommended that.

J

jb116

He says not to cool and reheat your rice because it creates resistant starch. Interesting, I thought someone on here recommended that.
It should be the other way around. If you cook starch and cool it, it creates resistant starch. But if you re-heat thoroughly it should break it down.

Vanced

Thanks for posting this, really interesting and good to see a bodybuilder (and extremely strong one at that!) using a Peaty diet. Sure is refreshing in comparison to the usual chicken/rice/pufa standard bodybuilder diet, maybe one day the masses will catch on, lol

OP
Insaneacinamide
Well, after watching more of Stan's videos I saw a recent podcast of him where he mentions Dr Ray Peat :D
@1:09:20

Welcome to the cult Stan :cool:

Here is part 2 of the other seminar vid in my first post:

TheHound

I emailed Stan a while back and he told me he's read every article on Ray Peat's website. Great guy, he knows what he's talking about

Carrum

benaoao

It's very nice that he makes SLEEP his priority number one. Like he roughly says, workout programs diet plans magic pills, they all PALE compared to what more+better sleep does to the body.

Not sure what the policy is here regarding "grey zone" products but MK677 is fantastic for more REM / deeper sleep. Side effect number 1 includes a tendency towards insulin resistance + effect on aldosterone (it's a GH secretagogue and that's what GH will do), so diet has to be tweaked to prevent glucose levels going up alongside water retention. Besides that, high range IGF-1 and deep sleep are great.

OP
Insaneacinamide
The 2018 world's strongest man competition is on this week.
It appears another world's strongest man competitor, and past winner of it Brian Shaw, is following Stan's advice for nutrition.
Just had qualifiers, and both guys Hafthor Bjornsson and Brian Shaw made it through to the main event. Both use Stan as a nutritional coach.
Some interesting video's from all these guys in the past few months. Even Larry Wheels setting a personal record on the dead lift this past month. I think all these guys have set some records since getting coached by Stan in nutrition.

It seems the main meal they use (called monster mash) is beef from a ruminant animal (cow/bison/lamb etc) with white rice, and some type of vegetable like carrot, peppers, spinach or some other veggie. Mixed together and added with some type of animal stock liquid/bone broth on it for the taste and probably the gelatin/collagen.
I think they use egg shell powder to balance out the calcium/phosphorus ratios.
Stan has a new Instagram page out on his nutrition ideas called the vertical diet, you can get a lot of the info there as well. Appears he has a book for sale as well.
The Vertical Diet (@theverticaldiet) • Instagram photos and videos

Jpkoepse

I'm a bodybuilder and Stan is one of the main reasons I have joined this forum!

L

lollipop

I'm a bodybuilder and Stan is one of the main reasons I have joined this forum!
WoW...amazing and welcome! Have you checked out Ray Peat’s site directly? You might find it interesting:

raypeat.com

Also on this forum there are some good threads of other bodybuilders following Peat’s thoughts. You might do a search for them.

L

lollipop

The 2018 world's strongest man competition is on this week.
It appears another world's strongest man competitor, and past winner of it Brian Shaw, is following Stan's advice for nutrition.
Just had qualifiers, and both guys Hafthor Bjornsson and Brian Shaw made it through to the main event. Both use Stan as a nutritional coach.
Some interesting video's from all these guys in the past few months. Even Larry Wheels setting a personal record on the dead lift this past month. I think all these guys have set some records since getting coached by Stan in nutrition.

It seems the main meal they use (called monster mash) is beef from a ruminant animal (cow/bison/lamb etc) with white rice, and some type of vegetable like carrot, peppers, spinach or some other veggie. Mixed together and added with some type of animal stock liquid/bone broth on it for the taste and probably the gelatin/collagen.
I think they use egg shell powder to balance out the calcium/phosphorus ratios.
Stan has a new Instagram page out on his nutrition ideas called the vertical diet, you can get a lot of the info there as well. Appears he has a book for sale as well.
The Vertical Diet (@theverticaldiet) • Instagram photos and videos

Thanks for sharing this. I like his “mash”, it is a bit like how I eat :): Rather than the egg shell, I like a 12 ounce glass of 1% grassfed and non homogenized milk and some cheese. I am not watching fats as carefully as these guys. This type of eating has made me very healthy and recover from a crazy low carb stint...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jpkoepse

WoW...amazing and welcome! Have you checked out Ray Peat’s site directly? You might find it interesting:

raypeat.com

Also on this forum there are some good threads of other bodybuilders following Peat’s thoughts. You might do a search for them.
Yep! I heard about it from him a few months ago.. and I was lurking and reading as much as I could since then.. and then signed up. Life changing info here!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom