World's Oldest Person

Jarman

Reading other posts here regarding centenarians, there is no particular pattern on what makes centenarians live as long as they do. I don't think diet alone makes a person live a long life.

I also doubt they geek out online about what they should eat daily and what supplements to take. Some of these centenarians live in third world countries and are too poor to afford supplements. They just live their life.

tara

I also doubt they geek out online about what they should eat daily and take lots supplements.
LOL. 'Online' has only existed since after they were already doing rather very well in the longevity stakes. The fellow in the OP was already a centenarian when the Internet was born. :)

schultz

India didn't record date of birth before 1900?

It says Indonesia. You're right though, in the article it says they didn't officially record births before 1900. You would think though that that at least means he was born before 1900 if he was born before records were officially implemented, so even if he wasn't born in 1870, he could still be 117 years +. I would love to know for sure, but Jeanne Calment will remain as the oldest person on record @ 122 years old, even if there have been older people.

raypeatclips

I doubt he varied from the food typical to the Asian region, staple of rice/sweet potato/corn, served with vegetables/leaves and meat/fish with some fruits. I am positive he never worried about the persorption of the starches he ate, or the specific amino acid contents of the meats/fish he ate etc.

It feels to me every very old person we talk about on the forum eats a diet similar to this.

Reading other posts here regarding centenarians, there is no particular pattern on what makes centenarians live as long as they do. I don't think diet alone makes a person live a long life.

I also doubt they geek out online about what they should eat daily and what supplements to take. Some of these centenarians live in third world countries and are too poor to afford supplements. They just live their life.

There's some merit to this idea. Still, it's worth pointing out that, statistically speaking, we should expect the occasional person on a poor diet in a third world country to catch every conceivable lucky break with regard to his health and become a centenarian. And because we'll here about it in the news every single time this happens, there's a strong selection effect at play here.

By the same token, it makes sense for us first world folks to do everything we can to increase our chances, all with the understanding that diet is just one piece of the puzzle.

M

member 2106

I am positive he never worried about the persorption of the starches he ate, or the specific amino acid contents of the meats/fish he ate etc.

That's probably true, but I suppose his diet could have been favourable in these respects anyway, at least more favourable than the standard western diet (if there can be said to be such a thing).

L

lollipop

Here is an interesting 98yr old - gym rat - he looks good though for his age. Excuse me it is a Facebook link...

milk_lover

Here is an interesting 98yr old - gym rat - he looks good though for his age. Excuse me it is a Facebook link...

I bet he would look better if he is not 'addicted' to the gym. Maybe still doing exercise outside that filthy sweaty place?

raypeatclips

Maybe I need to look into it more but I think there is a pattern of eating meals of starches, vegetables and meat as a meal, with small amounts of fruit. I always think the centenarians eat quite clean. None of them I've come across have diets of McDonald's or pizza for example but maybe I've just not looked enough.

raypeatclips

That's probably true, but I suppose his diet could have been favourable in these respects anyway, at least more favourable than the standard western diet (if there can be said to be such a thing).

Possibly, but people on here say rice is worse than potatoes for persorption, yet many people in regions that eat rice as a staple live a very long time. Of course there is many other variables involved and even questions as to their genuine birth dates, but I feel i am seeing a trend

Sure it is much better than standard western diet, I couldn't see any wheat containing foods or much vegetable oils.

J

James IV

I think it's important to realize that our food supply in developed countries, particularly America, is much less nutritious, and more toxic, than when these people were growing up. Even if you ate the exact same foods as these people, you would not be eating the exact same foods. It's also important to realize as your environment changes, so does your nutritional needs. Mimicking diets of people that live in a totally different environment is poor reasoning.

Better to focus on energy and structure, rather than any particular foods.

tara

None of them I've come across have diets of McDonald's
McDonald's was not available for at least the first half of their lives, and if something like it had been, it would have been made with saturated fat and pasture-raised animals etc.

I think it's important to realize that our food supply in developed countries, particularly America, is much less nutritious, and more toxic, than when these people were growing up. Even if you ate the exact same foods as these people, you would not be eating the exact same foods. It's also important to realize as your environment changes, so does your nutritional needs.
+1

Tarmander

I remember when I stayed in India for a couple months, living into old age was a big deal. They have a lot of incentive to lie about age, it makes them into a yogi. While over there I was always hearing about this 400 year old guy, or that immortal dude. You could go and get a blessing from him and donate. If you looked old enough, you could claim you were a saint and over xxx years old, and people give you money. India is a very corrupt place, for all its charms. And I mean that, lovely hospitality...just not a great value placed on honesty.

Now I know this guy is from indonesia, which is probably different, but I wonder if he was a bit of a celebrity for his claimed age.

raypeatclips

McDonald's was not available for at least the first half of their lives, and if something like it had been, it would have been made with saturated fat and pasture-raised animals etc.

That was a poor example, I admit. I was trying to say that I felt all the centenarian diets we talk about seem quite simple traditional foods like rice, veg and meat/fish.

I think it's important to realize that our food supply in developed countries, particularly America, is much less nutritious, and more toxic, than when these people were growing up. Even if you ate the exact same foods as these people, you would not be eating the exact same foods. It's also important to realize as your environment changes, so does your nutritional needs. Mimicking diets of people that live in a totally different environment is poor reasoning.

Better to focus on energy and structure, rather than any particular foods.

Very good points.

Strongbad

I remember when I stayed in India for a couple months, living into old age was a big deal. They have a lot of incentive to lie about age, it makes them into a yogi. While over there I was always hearing about this 400 year old guy, or that immortal dude. You could go and get a blessing from him and donate. If you looked old enough, you could claim you were a saint and over xxx years old, and people give you money. India is a very corrupt place, for all its charms. And I mean that, lovely hospitality...just not a great value placed on honesty.

Now I know this guy is from indonesia, which is probably different, but I wonder if he was a bit of a celebrity for his claimed age.

India and Indonesia have very little in common. India is very social class-based aka castra, Indonesia is not. Just because they have "Ind" on their countries name doesn't mean they're similar. Instead, Indonesia is very similar to Thailand and Philippine despite their differences in religions (Islam vs Buddhism vs Christianity). If you've traveled to Thailand, expect Indonesians to have similar attitudes compared to Thais.

Judging from his body posture, skin and bone-structures (especially his eye colors), I'm pretty sure the gentleman is a legit centenarian. My grandparents are all centenarians and know several centenarian relatives so I know how they look like and act. Centenarians are kinda common in East and Southeast Asia, actually.

Nice tropical, sunny day all year with constant 6am to 6:30pm sunrise to sunset can do wonders to their body. Not to mention they consume much less calories than we do. Whenever I travel to SE Asia, I always eat 2-3x portions per meal because they're so small in comparison to US food servings.

The biggest downfall is that the people are relatively short and small. 5'-5" or shorter.