Working night shift

Herbie

I’m aware of all the study’s showing the negative health outcomes for people who work night shifts plus that Ray said the we sleep to protect ourselves from the stress of darkness.

What I’ve been thinking about is that is in many circumstances, many people who work in offices or buildings, retail on day shift where they are blasted with blue light all day and go home to darkness and more blue light are no different than someone working night shift and sleeping in the day.

If the night shift person went outside in the afternoon and caught the sun at its most oblique angles for the red light as it set, they would receive better light spectrum than the day shift person. At least they have the opportunity.

I used to drive a taxi and never worked nights due avoiding of the clientele at night but I would start at 3:30am and work until 6-8pm at night, (thanks government and Uber) even if I went to sleep at 7:30pm I would still feel horrible.

Last edited:
I’m aware of all the study’s showing the negative health outcomes for people who work night shifts plus that Ray said the we sleep to protect ourselves from the stress of darkness.

What I’ve been thinking about is that is in many circumstances, many people who work in offices or buildings, retail on day shift where they are blasted with blue light all day and go home to darkness and more blue light are no different than someone working night shift and sleeping in the day.

If the night shift person went outside in the afternoon and caught the sun at its most oblique angles for the red light as it set, they would receive better light spectrum than the day shift person. At least they have the opportunity.

I used to drive a taxi and never worked nights due avoiding of the clientele at night but I would start at 3:30am and work until 6-8pm at night, (thanks government and Uber) even if I went to sleep at 7:30pm I would still feel horrible.

Good point about the indoor day shift people not getting as much sun as someone working a night shift and getting sunshine in their daytime off time.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Good point about the indoor day shift people not getting as much sun as someone working a night shift and getting sunshine in their daytime off time.
I used to park my car next to a factory at night and they had night workers. The factory was lit with high pressure sodium lamps which are the ones which glow orange, some older areas still use them as street lights. They have mainly red spectrum so those night shift workers are fortunate. But many are suffering under fluorescent and led mainly blue spectrum because psychopaths, I mean psychologists figured out that blue light is stimulating and therefore makes workers more productive. Same goes for retail shoppers, stimulate the spending.

I used to park my car next to a factory at night and they had night workers. The factory was lit with high pressure sodium lamps which are the ones which glow orange, some older areas still use them as street lights. They have mainly red spectrum so those night shift workers are fortunate. But many are suffering under fluorescent and led mainly blue spectrum because psychopaths, I mean psychologists figured out that blue light is stimulating and therefore makes workers more productive. Same goes for retail shoppers, stimulate the spending.

Being a night worker on the streets would seem a healthy enough environment, much like Ray Peat's recommendation to sleep with a nightlight on.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Being a night worker on the streets would seem a healthy enough environment, much like Ray Peat's recommendation to sleep with a nightlight on.
Cars used to only have halogen bulbs for head lights which are red spectrum but now with new cars they are blinding blue spectrum LED same with street lights so driving at night now is harmful.

Cars used to only have halogen bulbs for head lights which are red spectrum but now with new cars they are blinding blue spectrum LED same with street lights so driving at night now is harmful.
They are so annoying!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals