Working night shift

juanitacarlos

Just looking for some advice on doing night shifts. Getting a new job is not really an option right now.

About 3-4 nights per month, I have to work a 10pm to 6am shift at work. The work is not physical, or particularly stressful (besides not sleeping), and after about 2pm, if I'm lucky, I might get a chance for small naps (20-30 mins), although I often find it hard to nap, it can be done.

So from a Peat perspective, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can minimise a very stressful event? Tonight is the first night I will have to do a night shift since I've tried to work Peat stuff into my diet. So I'm thinking:

Sip orange juice and snack on cheese
A teaspoon of coconut oil every hour or so
A coffee with cream and sugar every few hours
A little extra thyroid

Are these good food choices?

And I'm not really sure what supps to take during and after my shift. Any help would be much appreciated!

cliff

If you can try to get some incandescent light shining on you.

key

The reason the night is stressful is from darkness. The light(specifically red light) stimulates energy producing enzyme(cytochrome C).

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

key said:
The reason the night is stressful is from darkness. The light(specifically red light) stimulates energy producing enzyme(cytochrome C).

Thanks for explaining Key! This is good to know.

cliff

Your food choices look good, I eat a little bit of oj/cheese/coconut oil each hour or so, throw in some coffee when you feel like you need more energy.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

cliff said:
Your food choices look good, I eat a little bit of oj/cheese/coconut oil each hour or so, throw in some coffee when you feel like you need more energy.

Thanks Cliff. That's pretty much what I've been doing and it's helping.

dlind70

Apple juice for night, fresh orange, copper foods like cashews or dark chocolate. I do nights and this works for me.

dlind70

Make sure to not skip your meal. Eat less protein during the day. Better to not have to digest the steaks you had eaten earlier. Also on the days that you do night try to limit your protein because around 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. you will be in a resting/meditative state and it's easier on your body if you didn't have protein that day or at least hard to digest protein. After a while you could probably have any type of food but it just depends on your body if it gets used to it