Women Over 35 Hormonal Changes, Are You Doing Anything?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Yeah I have thought of trying to do more to overcome this. Thing is Peat says if large amounts are needed then look into a protein deficiency or hypothyroidism. Also the creams seem to need larger amounts than the fully saturated vitamin E oil progesterone. He said we would not need the large amounts like in the creams.

I just had a pretty good cycle 27 days long, I took one or two drops before bed. I generally was eating better through the day instead of being riddled with adrenaline that makes me lose my appetite. I did notice a bit more blood sugar drops in the couple days before my menses though. But I just get something sugary and go do something while it passes.

One thing about adrenaline.. it has a short half life, in 5 mins it should be almost completely gone, but in people with anxiety it just keeps getting released which overall puts the nervous system on high alert. I have found that yes we need to boost progesterone and eat regularly but it won't stop our minds from brewing. If I get in a loop of anxiety it can take hrs to return to my normal self. I've learned to break the chain before that happens. Letting the adrenaline just pass. Occupy the mind with something enjoyable. Because for those sensitized to adrenaline we get scared at the first sign of it coming and more and more adrenaline gets released! It's a terrible feedback loop. Claire Weeks books are helpful for this. I know how hard it is to ignore the adrenaline induced thoughts though!!! Just knowing that it always passes the more I accept the situation is comforting. The only reason it wouldn't pass is if we keep feeding it. Or if there is a serious thyroid problem like graves disease. In that case beta blockers are needed! Progesterone helps calm the mind for sure though. But even in the beginning of my cycle when progesterone is low I don't feel crazy, so I just think at certain times we are prone to BG drops and shots of adrenaline and for those nervous of the sensations can cause anxiety.
Thanks Janelle! I wasn't aware that RP see the need for larger doses as a sign of protein deficiency or hypothyroidism. I too have ordered progest E and you are right it is very saturated. I don't know how I'm going to measure 1/8 tsp, I don't think I have that sort of measurement in my kitchen!
Thanks for the book suggestion, I will look it up. I too am trying different coping and diversion methods but as you say it stays in the loop and seems like it can go on and on and easily ruin the whole day. I don't even remember the days before my first anxiety attack and wonder if it ever can be fixed. Some say it's all in your head and can be trained to be ignored, but if so, why does it keep coming back? Does one ever let go of the incessant worry, a heart that is quick to startle, etc.? Would this be better managed by nutrition? I remember the first time this happened I was on a pill with precancerous cells on my cervix and a lump in my breast, at the same time I was on a 2 month long course of antibiotics and was undergoing a major stress in my life which involved moving countries and leaving a relationship. Before all this I could drink coffee no problem. 13 years later and still not recovered, still not being able to drink coffee...fingers crossed I'll get there one day :)

shepherdgirl

@scarlettsmum - In that Katharina Dalton thread it says that men can generally go longer without food. iirc women's livers typically can't store as much as men's.

@Janelle525 - definitely agree that negative thought chains are not constructive at all and can even destroy health. There have been many times i was so certain that some terrible thing would happen, or that this or that person was angry with me. And it wasn't true. Just because a neurotic, circular thought comes uninvited into my brain does not mean i have to believe it. I like Byron Katie's approach to dealing with stressful thoughts.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I would definitely recommend trying out progesterone. My adrenaline surges and anxiety didn't show up until I got my post partum menstrual cycle back almost 2.5 yrs ago, I am 31.5 yrs old. Progesterone definitely helps me, I'm still afraid of using anymore than a few mg yet but many do to overcome these issues. I tried going off it for a couple months and all my symptoms came back. I still get adrenaline surges, but they are mostly solved by keeping blood sugar stable, and using a small amount of cypro. Supposedly low progesterone makes our set point for low blood sugar higher so adrenaline kick in even when it appears theres enough sugar. Light factors in to low progesterone, there needs to be light to make it. I've been doing a few minutes with my UVB lamp every few days, and that helps. Speaking of have to go do that! Soooo glooomy.
Janelle what brand of progesterone do you use? Progeste E or Haidut's or something entirely different?

Peata

If eating doesn't help (blood sugar), I assume it's high serotonin causing those thought patterns. I recognize it as fear of future, getting "stuck" or rumination, not seeing way out/things seem too complicated, anxiety, blowing things out of proportion/overwhelmed, etc. When serotonin is reduced, I am confident about any problems, see multiple ways to deal with things, not fearful of future but more attitude of I can deal with it when it comes.

As far as hormone issues, I'm seeing very good results with Pansterone. Reduced acne and excess hair very well. Have more energy/less fatigue and issues with stiffness.

InChristAlone

I use health natura's simply progesterone, its almost exactly the same but it had a better price since I got it on sale. And yes I think anxiety and rumination can be serotonin and thats why i am on .5 mg cypro and also take about 50 mg niacinamide a day. Also high cortisol can cause anxiety.

I know what you mean though about not being able to let go of the incessant worry, another thing that is helping me is seeing my experience as just my experience and there's nothing to be afraid of its just me. When we worry a lot our thought patterns can get so screwed up that there are pathways that energy flows down without even trying. But it is the worry that creates the overactive system. So don't beat yourself up, your body will heal once the stress lowers.

InChristAlone

I was wondering if you have a pattern for the adrenaline rushes? Are they more in the morning day or night? For me I only get them now after meals. It leads me to believe BG is greatly involved as is anything that might be moving further down the digestive track after meals. I just had one after cheese and grape juice with a little of niacinamide. But I also had been eating stuff I know can cause them yesterday and it's always the day after that I will get a reaction. For me it's potato chips or fast food that's full of MSG. It seems to overfill my histamine bucket. I don't get any typical histamine symptoms though so I haven't verified that one. Also I am learning how it is completely true that an adrenaline rush lasts 5 mins. If I don't feed it at all. The energy discharges through a bit of shakiness and then it's over. I think that's key to not letting this taking over your life. I can accept that I might be prone to an overactive nervous system, as long as I know it's possible to be done with it in minutes! And then I can just let it happen and move on with my day. I always always have to remind myself as the logical brain goes out the window when the reptilian fight or flight brain gets set off.
Also I thought you might like this video on how she overcame panic attacks:

InChristAlone

About not being able to have coffee... I'm glad I am off all caffeine.. it was such a strong craving for me and I think I was allergic or something. I would get feelings of doom when I overdid it. I'm better off without.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

If eating doesn't help (blood sugar), I assume it's high serotonin causing those thought patterns. I recognize it as fear of future, getting "stuck" or rumination, not seeing way out/things seem too complicated, anxiety, blowing things out of proportion/overwhelmed, etc. When serotonin is reduced, I am confident about any problems, see multiple ways to deal with things, not fearful of future but more attitude of I can deal with it when it comes.

As far as hormone issues, I'm seeing very good results with Pansterone. Reduced acne and excess hair very well. Have more energy/less fatigue and issues with stiffness.
I agree, Peata. I think it definitely is serotonin issue combined with blood sugar. I have tried cypro, but it makes me irritable and angry and snappy. But I can totally relate to what you describe. I have been trying to eat regularly and to address all my hunger pangs over the last couple of days and must say that I do feel better. I have been reading an interesting book on how women are cyclical and change according to their cycles and it was explained how women couldn't be more different from men and how all this striving for women being like men pushing them into the masculine energy is very damaging to women, their feminine essence which then shows up as disease of hormonal nature, because after all it is a stress. I know this may sound quite contradictory to some people in this age of absolute equality, but perhaps there is some truth to it, at least I believe so and always felt that, although not always following up on this inner wisdom. All the activity, deadlines, targets, etc., where women need more rest, pleasure, breaks, slow paced type of life, connection to nature which is very nourishing to our feminine essence especially in the period after ovulation to menstruation. So I made myself consciously slow down over the last few days and relished in a few non productive days and it did wonders for me, no racing heart, no back pain, no tension. Anyhow, it makes lots of sense to me. Interesting about Pansterone, it is something I may consider in the future after I have experimented with progesterone alone.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I use health natura's simply progesterone, its almost exactly the same but it had a better price since I got it on sale. And yes I think anxiety and rumination can be serotonin and thats why i am on .5 mg cypro and also take about 50 mg niacinamide a day. Also high cortisol can cause anxiety.

I know what you mean though about not being able to let go of the incessant worry, another thing that is helping me is seeing my experience as just my experience and there's nothing to be afraid of its just me. When we worry a lot our thought patterns can get so screwed up that there are pathways that energy flows down without even trying. But it is the worry that creates the overactive system. So don't beat yourself up, your body will heal once the stress lowers.
Thank you for the info, Janelle. I have already ordered Protest E and if I get on with it, I will see if I can get Health natura's brand from the UK as well. Yes, I have to remind myself that it is the same old anxiety and not me dying. But it's scary how convincing it can be! It helped me to "hear" it from you, to put it into perspective. I have been reminding myself to not allow myself to be swept by fear again.

Last edited:
OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I was wondering if you have a pattern for the adrenaline rushes? Are they more in the morning day or night? For me I only get them now after meals. It leads me to believe BG is greatly involved as is anything that might be moving further down the digestive track after meals. I just had one after cheese and grape juice with a little of niacinamide. But I also had been eating stuff I know can cause them yesterday and it's always the day after that I will get a reaction. For me it's potato chips or fast food that's full of MSG. It seems to overfill my histamine bucket. I don't get any typical histamine symptoms though so I haven't verified that one. Also I am learning how it is completely true that an adrenaline rush lasts 5 mins. If I don't feed it at all. The energy discharges through a bit of shakiness and then it's over. I think that's key to not letting this taking over your life. I can accept that I might be prone to an overactive nervous system, as long as I know it's possible to be done with it in minutes! And then I can just let it happen and move on with my day. I always always have to remind myself as the logical brain goes out the window when the reptilian fight or flight brain gets set off.
Also I thought you might like this video on how she overcame panic attacks:

I think most definitely adrenaline. And usually in the mornings. I have to be really careful what I am eating in the morning, the amount, the ratio of carbs/protein/fats otherwise I risk feeling anxious. Also depends on how rested/stressed I am. So I have to judge each day individually. So yes, it would come after a meal. Never heard of the adrenaline rush lasting only 5 minutes. That doesn't sound too bad. But I am feeding it by fearing it. So you shake to get rid of it? Kind of like a dance or anything in particular? I haven't watched the video yet, intend to do so tomorrow. Thank you so much for these tips!! So helpful! I'm really happy that I can talk to somebody who is going through the same problem.

InChristAlone

Wow so you get it post meals too?? Yes for me mornings are the worst, but if it's a particularly high anxiety day I can get them at any point. The shaking after an adrenaline rush is just the body's way of releasing the excess energy. When I had bad panic attacks I would get the shakes really bad meaning the adrenaline was super high. But if it's just a 5 min racing heart episode then the shakes only lasts a few minutes. People actually initiate the tremors by themselves, it's call TRE. Supposedly helps release the energy. I haven't purposely done that as I find my body already shakes off the extra adrenaline. I have heard so many stories of people able to release the energy through shaking and then not having another panic attack. I wish that me!!! I had a flare up today two adrenaline surges post meal. I'm looking into it being a histamine intolerance. If I eat a normal plain diet of bananas, string cheese (seems lower in histamine) grape juice, pasta, and ice cream I don't get the adrenaline surges. It's just sticking to it that I have trouble with! And you'll notice certain parts of the cycle your bucket will overfill faster and you'll tolerate less and be more 'reactive' sounds like you already know that when you said you are taking time out. I am doing that right now! Soooo need that as Moms. I might not cure this issue until my kids are older. The little one 4.5 pushes me a lot, and by Friday I'm not handling things very well.

Peata

I agree, Peata. I think it definitely is serotonin issue combined with blood sugar. I have tried cypro, but it makes me irritable and angry and snappy. But I can totally relate to what you describe. I have been trying to eat regularly and to address all my hunger pangs over the last couple of days and must say that I do feel better. I have been reading an interesting book on how women are cyclical and change according to their cycles and it was explained how women couldn't be more different from men and how all this striving for women being like men pushing them into the masculine energy is very damaging to women, their feminine essence which then shows up as disease of hormonal nature, because after all it is a stress. I know this may sound quite contradictory to some people in this age of absolute equality, but perhaps there is some truth to it, at least I believe so and always felt that, although not always following up on this inner wisdom. All the activity, deadlines, targets, etc., where women need more rest, pleasure, breaks, slow paced type of life, connection to nature which is very nourishing to our feminine essence especially in the period after ovulation to menstruation. So I made myself consciously slow down over the last few days and relished in a few non productive days and it did wonders for me, no racing heart, no back pain, no tension. Anyhow, it makes lots of sense to me. Interesting about Pansterone, it is something I may consider in the future after I have experimented with progesterone alone.
Also, I would notice symptoms getting worse in 2nd half of cycle when estrogen dominated. There is a connection between estrogen and serotonin.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Also, I would notice symptoms getting worse in 2nd half of cycle when estrogen dominated. There is a connection between estrogen and serotonin.
yes, that's exactly the same for me. Always the second half of my cycle.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Wow so you get it post meals too?? Yes for me mornings are the worst, but if it's a particularly high anxiety day I can get them at any point. The shaking after an adrenaline rush is just the body's way of releasing the excess energy. When I had bad panic attacks I would get the shakes really bad meaning the adrenaline was super high. But if it's just a 5 min racing heart episode then the shakes only lasts a few minutes. People actually initiate the tremors by themselves, it's call TRE. Supposedly helps release the energy. I haven't purposely done that as I find my body already shakes off the extra adrenaline. I have heard so many stories of people able to release the energy through shaking and then not having another panic attack. I wish that me!!! I had a flare up today two adrenaline surges post meal. I'm looking into it being a histamine intolerance. If I eat a normal plain diet of bananas, string cheese (seems lower in histamine) grape juice, pasta, and ice cream I don't get the adrenaline surges. It's just sticking to it that I have trouble with! And you'll notice certain parts of the cycle your bucket will overfill faster and you'll tolerate less and be more 'reactive' sounds like you already know that when you said you are taking time out. I am doing that right now! Soooo need that as Moms. I might not cure this issue until my kids are older. The little one 4.5 pushes me a lot, and by Friday I'm not handling things very well.
yes, after meals mostly or occasionally at night, but usually after breakfast, when stress is highest. I watched the girl in the video talking about anxiety as an emotion. I really liked where she says about how it is just another experience/emotion as sadness, joy, etc. and that she doesn't give any special attention to these so why give it to anxious thoughts. I hope I can remember it when one of these thoughts pops in my head again! And yes, it also depends on where I am in my cycle. For me the worst is immediately after ovulation, just an instant change of mood for the worse, guaranteed. I think that's when progesterone is supposed to rise, but instead it probably doesn't or stays low and this causes the anxiety, irritability, bad moods, etc. Interesting how foods affects you so much, perhaps it is a histamine issue. For me if something doesn't agree with me it is usually blocked up nose and it happens quite frequently unfortunately. My kids both go to preschool, I live in EU, so it's a normal thing, and even if you go private rather than state funded, the price is very good. So I really admire mothers that have to stay with their children 24 hours, I would probably throttle mine. I hope your husband/mum/friend helps out with childcare sometimes to give you a break!

InChristAlone

yes, after meals mostly or occasionally at night, but usually after breakfast, when stress is highest. I watched the girl in the video talking about anxiety as an emotion. I really liked where she says about how it is just another experience/emotion as sadness, joy, etc. and that she doesn't give any special attention to these so why give it to anxious thoughts. I hope I can remember it when one of these thoughts pops in my head again! And yes, it also depends on where I am in my cycle. For me the worst is immediately after ovulation, just an instant change of mood for the worse, guaranteed. I think that's when progesterone is supposed to rise, but instead it probably doesn't or stays low and this causes the anxiety, irritability, bad moods, etc. Interesting how foods affects you so much, perhaps it is a histamine issue. For me if something doesn't agree with me it is usually blocked up nose and it happens quite frequently unfortunately. My kids both go to preschool, I live in EU, so it's a normal thing, and even if you go private rather than state funded, the price is very good. So I really admire mothers that have to stay with their children 24 hours, I would probably throttle mine. I hope your husband/mum/friend helps out with childcare sometimes to give you a break!
So around 10-11am right? Haha thats usually when mine comes on. There are hormone changes around that time, parasympathetic probably kicks in after meals and if it kicks in too much you can all of sudden yawn and feel sleepy then the racing heart comes on as a counter to too much parasympathetic. I'm not completely positive this is whats happening, but after experiencing these symptoms for over 2 yrs I am fairly certain it is some kind of imbalance in the nervous system. Especially since for a while I'd get the 7-8pm adrenaline rush as well. I asked Peat what causes it as it comes on predictably and he said what I just said about the parasympathetic kicking in and sometimes lowers BG too much. He said thyroid helps this. But I'm not willing to go on thyroid at least not now. As a lot of my health problems have cleared up. I'm still not sure about histamine intolerance, I would think I'd have more than just an adrenaline rush? I really think its just blood glucose lowers too quickly.

I'm glad you liked the video, it really helped me see how I was treating adrenaline as some scary monster when although it is scary its not dangerous and it goes away if I wait it out and treat it like a visitor saying "oh hi thats nice" and go along with my life.

Yeah there have been many challenges to homeschooling, so many times I have threatened to send them to school!

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

So around 10-11am right? Haha thats usually when mine comes on. There are hormone changes around that time, parasympathetic probably kicks in after meals and if it kicks in too much you can all of sudden yawn and feel sleepy then the racing heart comes on as a counter to too much parasympathetic. I'm not completely positive this is whats happening, but after experiencing these symptoms for over 2 yrs I am fairly certain it is some kind of imbalance in the nervous system. Especially since for a while I'd get the 7-8pm adrenaline rush as well. I asked Peat what causes it as it comes on predictably and he said what I just said about the parasympathetic kicking in and sometimes lowers BG too much. He said thyroid helps this. But I'm not willing to go on thyroid at least not now. As a lot of my health problems have cleared up. I'm still not sure about histamine intolerance, I would think I'd have more than just an adrenaline rush? I really think its just blood glucose lowers too quickly.

I'm glad you liked the video, it really helped me see how I was treating adrenaline as some scary monster when although it is scary its not dangerous and it goes away if I wait it out and treat it like a visitor saying "oh hi thats nice" and go along with my life.

Yeah there have been many challenges to homeschooling, so many times I have threatened to send them to school!
Thanks Janelle, didn't know about the 10-11 am rule when parasympathetic system kicks in, makes sense. I like it when I can understand what is happening rather than feeling like a victim. I do get that now and then, depends on how much stress am dealing with at that moment. I learnt to pay attention to my body and give it what it needs. So if I feel on edge I'm ultra cautious with what I eat and drink. Today I had a caffeinated tea this morning because I felt good and at ease and I felt fine after. However the there have been times where it would have ruined my day. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with me, very helpful!

Tourist

So as someone with high cortisol I read your post with interest! I'm nearing menopause and have what feels like heart racing adrenaline surges.

Which vitamin e are u taking ?

@Regina Thank you for the great write-up! IdeaLabs is like a fun house :wacky:

I've found I have to watch the cortisol-lowering - I've zombified myself several times and have tried to ride it out hoping for better days. Too much vitamin E, and I can hardly muster out of bed.

I'd like to do the K2 liver restoration soon. Last time I tried it, Kuinone wasn't out yet, so was using Thorne. A fresh bottle of not-yellow Kuinone awaits in my cupboard ...

And, yes, 1 drop of Pansterone for 3-4 days has consistently led to an acne flare-up. Still working on other issues that could be at play, leaving me "sensitive."

Peata

I stopped Pansterone after about 4 months or so my estrogen symptoms came back really crazy, as well as the other symptoms it was previously helping with. I may not have been making/getting enough progesterone or something in pansterone converted to estrogen. Not sure. Anyway, I'm using a progesterone cream now and so far so good.

Bluebell

peata, what kind of pansterone are you using, the one with DMSO or the one with MCT/tocopherol?

did it fix your 2nd half of the cycle symptoms?

and do you still take it now, and is that 2 drops topically at the same time, with breakfast, or?

sorry so many questions! :eek:

Peata

peata, what kind of pansterone are you using, the one with DMSO or the one with MCT/tocopherol?

did it fix your 2nd half of the cycle symptoms?

and do you still take it now, and is that 2 drops topically at the same time, with breakfast, or?

sorry so many questions! :eek:
I'm not using it at all now, but I had the one with DMSO. The later formula was the last one I was using that has reduced DMSO.

It seemed to help with so many symptoms so I was bummed when it stopped working. Like I said, it may have been too little progesterone after a while. I was using it topically 2 - 3 x day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals