Woman Dies From Eating Raw Oysters

biffbelvin

CDC themselves say Hot Sauce, Lemon Juice and Alcohol do not kill the bacteria.

Anyone can get sick from vibriosis, but you may be more likely to get an infection or severe complications if you:

• Have liver disease, alcoholism, cancer, diabetes, HIV, or thalassemia.
  • Receive immune-suppressing therapy for the treatment of disease, such as for cancer.
  • Have an iron overload disease, such as hemochromatosis.
  • Take medicine to lower stomach acid levels, such as Nexium and Pepcid.
  • Have had recent stomach surgery.

If you have a poor metabolism/digestion, It's probably best to stick to cooked oysters.

As far as i'm aware, all canned oysters are cooked, so there is little to no risk of contracting Vibriosis from them.

"the ocean isn't such a great clean food source anymore"-RP

Even if you kill the bacteria by cooking, there's still other possible toxins. Besides raw or partially cooked seafood, it can also happen with a raw fruit or vegetable. I eat all of my plant foods cooked except raw fruit and raw carrot/celery. With the carrot, I'm peeling the outer skin so anything on the skin should be gone. I just hope that my raw fruit didn't get exposed to anything.

53 people in 9 states sickened after eating raw tuna

Norovirus outbreak linked to BC oysters: What you need to know

People have also gotten sick from raw milk.

Kyle M

These headlines capture the imagination, but statistically this is not something to worry about relative to hundreds of other things. If you drive in a car at all, for example.

Isn't there a rule about not eating raw oysters during certain months of the year?

Lastly, when you hear about someone dying from something like this, most of the time it's someone who is not in good health or doesn't take care of themselves. In this case it doesn't seem that way, but tbh how healthy can a lesbian be? J/k. But seriously, if both women ate a bunch of oysters and one had nothing happen and the other died in 48 hours, it's likely that she was somehow uniquely susceptible.

Lastly, when you hear about someone dying from something like this, most of the time it's someone who is not in good health or doesn't take care of themselves.

It would never happen but it's fun to imagine what what would happen in a study when you expose "healthy" people and non-child/non-eledery people with these bacteria/viruses to see who gets sick and who doesn't. If we studied the biomarkers of each then we'd have a lot of data.

But seriously, if both women ate a bunch of oysters and one had nothing happen and the other died in 48 hours, it's likely that she was somehow uniquely susceptible.

Or that the others didn't get exposed because the bacteria were only in her batch of oyster.

postman

And where is the evidence that she got sick from the raw oysters? Could be anything else she ate too, or maybe she got killed by the doctor's treatments, they always try to blame something else.

Kyle M

It would never happen but it's fun to imagine what what would happen in a study when you expose "healthy" people and non-child/non-eledery people with these bacteria/viruses to see who gets sick and who doesn't. If we studied the biomarkers of each then we'd have a lot of data.

The Nazis could have gotten away with it

Or that the others didn't get exposed because the bacteria were only in her batch of oyster.

That is also likely, they are both likely. But think of it this way, wherever they bought the oysters from, isn't it amazing that no one else for months prior, the same day, and months after no one got sick? So one oyster had this killer bacteria, out of thousands from the same general farming region?

That just exemplifies how unlikely this stuff is to happen in the first place. The idea that anything in life is 100% safe is wrong and makes people look at risk in entirely irrational ways.

OP
Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape

The Nazis could have gotten away with it

That is also likely, they are both likely. But think of it this way, wherever they bought the oysters from, isn't it amazing that no one else for months prior, the same day, and months after no one got sick? So one oyster had this killer bacteria, out of thousands from the same general farming region?

That just exemplifies how unlikely this stuff is to happen in the first place. The idea that anything in life is 100% safe is wrong and makes people look at risk in entirely irrational ways.

It doesn't seem irrational to follow up on an incident involving a food item that people around here consume regularly - particularly when it involves a 'flesh eating bacteria'. (Also, what is your point? That unhealthy lesbians are more susceptible to contracting illnesses.)

And where is the evidence that she got sick from the raw oysters? Could be anything else she ate too, or maybe she got killed by the doctor's treatments, they always try to blame something else.
Yeah like when there's news that someone died because of drinking a couple of energy drinks.

Kyle M

It doesn't seem irrational to follow up on an incident involving a food item that people around here consume regularly - particularly when it involves a 'flesh eating bacteria'. (Also, what is your point? That unhealthy lesbians are more susceptible to contracting illnesses.)

What I'm saying is irrational is how people prejudice sensational deaths like this relative to how people usually die, and weight the risks according to that emotional content.

burtlancast

CDC themselves say Hot Sauce, Lemon Juice and Alcohol do not kill the bacteria.

If you have a poor metabolism/digestion, It's probably best to stick to cooked oysters.

As far as i'm aware, all canned oysters are cooked, so there is little to no risk of contracting Vibriosis from them.

Here are 18 plant species active against Vibrio parahaemolyticus
Antimicrobial effect of spices and herbs on Vibrio parahaemolyticus - ScienceDirect

I believe no microorganism can survive colloidal silver.
Also would love to see the effect of magnesium chloride, or the Bob Beck blood electrifier.

Amazoniac

Here are 18 plant species active against Vibrio parahaemolyticus
Antimicrobial effect of spices and herbs on Vibrio parahaemolyticus - ScienceDirect

I believe no microorganism can survive colloidal silver.
Also would love to see the effect of magnesium chloride, or the Bob Beck blood electrifier.
Given the fact that shellfish is rich in taurine, your pubiI mean, public class reminded me of the following link, about Vibrio cholerae though:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...senses_taurine_and_amino_acids_as_attractants

D

danishispsychic

These headlines capture the imagination, but statistically this is not something to worry about relative to hundreds of other things. If you drive in a car at all, for example.

Isn't there a rule about not eating raw oysters during certain months of the year?

Lastly, when you hear about someone dying from something like this, most of the time it's someone who is not in good health or doesn't take care of themselves. In this case it doesn't seem that way, but tbh how healthy can a lesbian be? J/k. But seriously, if both women ate a bunch of oysters and one had nothing happen and the other died in 48 hours, it's likely that she was somehow uniquely susceptible.
I think you should get thrown off this forum for your " lesbian " remark . WTF.

Badger

What is it he said about lesbian's health that requires the drastic act of kicking him off the board? If I can find evidence via a very brief Google search that lesbians have more health problems than straight women, why can't you before calling for kicking people off?

"Lesbian, gay, and bisexual people may be more likely to smoke, drink excessively, and experience serious psychological distress, compared with heterosexual people."
Health of gay and straight people compared in first major survey
Health of gay and straight people compared in first major survey

"It found that gay men had nearly twice the odds of being diagnosed with cancer as heterosexual males. In women there was no significant difference in cancer prevalence by sexual orientation. But cancer survivors who were lesbians were twice as likely to describe their health as fair or poor, and bisexual women were 2.3 times as likely compared with heterosexual females."
Cancer Diagnosis Rates Differ for Gays, Heterosexuals
Cancer Diagnosis Rates Differ for Gays, Heterosexuals

I think you should get thrown off this forum for your " lesbian " remark . WTF.