Wishing this man the best but what can we learn from looking at his markers?

hei

i've seen PUFA is on all the bread products i've seen. How can I buy bread without PUFA?
Even sourdough? In my country that's usually the only bread with no oil added.
There is a little bit of fat (which is mostly unsaturated) even in white flour so I don't think you will ever find a zero PUFA bread.

InChristAlone

Yeah, it’s almost impossible to get the meds from online pharmacies because they stop shipments at the border. If the pharmacies ship to Canada to begin with.

I can not tolerate caffeine past noon because it interferes greatly with my sleep. I usually sleep at 9:30 to 10, and if I have even a weak cup of coffee past 11:30 am. I won’t sleep till midnight.

I take aspirin every couple days as well as E semi regularly. But niacinamide makes me feel so bad, especially with food. Like I feel like it’s a heart attack after taking it. I also get hypoglycaemic symptoms, which happens after taking B1. In fact, even a B complex gives me hypoglycaemic symptoms.
I try to get as much sunlight as the great north permits.

Thank you for your suggestions though. I will work on improving where I can.
B vitamins greatly increase utilization of sugar I can't take them either without constantly eating. And I think as women we tend to think we eat enough but we really don't. @redsun mentioned to me when I get that starving feeling from b vitamins I likely need to eat as much protein as I want until the feeling goes away. As B vitamins also increase the ability to digest protein. I have the tendency to fight my hunger and make everything worse.

Last edited:

mamakitty

B vitamins greatly increase utilization of sugar I can't take them either without constantly eating. And I think as women we tend to think we eat enough but we really don't. @redsun mentioned to me when I get that starving feeling from b vitamins I likely need to eat as much protein as I want until the feeling goes away. As B vitamins also increase the ability the digest protein. I have the tendency to fight my hunger and make everything worse.
Omg yes, I try to fight hunger too because I’m trying to lose weight. I have such a long way to go I get demotivated on the slower metabolic route. But like you said, it makes things worse :(
Thanks for the suggestions about more protein with B. However, I also get very hypoglycaemic when I eat more protein. It’s so upsetting at times. Even potatoes can make me hypoglycaemic sometimes. And I get hungry quite soonish after eating.
The only time I don’t get hypoglycaemic is when I eat high carb moderate to high protein with some fat, or when I slip and eat some disgusting fast food then I feel great and no hunger for hours and hours :(

I think I’m going to take the b vitamins with a bigger meal and see if I feel better.

Btw @redsun also told me to have some salt when I get dizzy and hypoglycaemic. I tried it a couple times and it worked once. Thanks redsun, I will experiment more with salt as well.

InChristAlone

Omg yes, I try to fight hunger too because I’m trying to lose weight. I have such a long way to go I get demotivated on the slower metabolic route. But like you said, it makes things worse :(
Thanks for the suggestions about more protein with B. However, I also get very hypoglycaemic when I eat more protein. It’s so upsetting at times. Even potatoes can make me hypoglycaemic sometimes. And I get hungry quite soonish after eating.
The only time I don’t get hypoglycaemic is when I eat high carb moderate to high protein with some fat, or when I slip and eat some disgusting fast food then I feel great and no hunger for hours and hours :(

I think I’m going to take the b vitamins with a bigger meal and see if I feel better.

Btw @redsun also told me to have some salt when I get dizzy and hypoglycaemic. I tried it a couple times and it worked once. Thanks redsun, I will experiment more with salt as well.
Yes I have always had the same issue, with needing a lot of carbs to balance protein but this time around seems different. I just had 4 eggs for breakfast with 7 oz of grape juice and some toast and feeling pretty good, though I am prepared to get some carbs if I feel the hypoglycemia coming on. I am just sick of the up and down so I am doing a refeeding type diet with at least 80 grams of protein and about 200 grams of carbs instead of what I did for yrs eating whatever, which was like bagels with cream cheese, ice cream and such. While it kept my blood sugar up it didn't do awesome things for my health.

Jennifer

Looks like hypothyroidism based on the cholesterol.

Looks like possible hypothyroidism to me too, especially since heart disease is a common symptom of poor thyroid function. I’ve traced back many generations and know of not one single member of my family without hypothyroidism, and heart disease has been rampant in my family. Most are/were slender and consume(d) a traditional diet (French and American Indian/First Nations of Eastern Canada), but were under a lot of stress trying to survive in a cold climate, caring for large families (Catholics so families of 14+ children were common) and working in the factories, even the women and children.

I also get hypoglycaemic symptoms, which happens after taking B1. In fact, even a B complex gives me hypoglycaemic symptoms.

Same here. I experienced such severe hypoglycemia after starting on b-vitamins that I was having full body convulsions and syncope episodes daily. I looked like Julia Roberts’ character, Shelby, in Steel Magnolias in the scene when she’s getting her hair done for her wedding. Scary times. Anyway, this lasted for 6 months until I started on NDT. I still can’t have too much meat/seafood or starch without crashing my blood sugar, but at least I no longer go into full blown convulsions and pass out. Now I only experience momentary adrenaline—heart palpitations, cold extremities and an urgency to pee—and intense hunger when my sugars crash.

mamakitty

Yes I have always had the same issue, with needing a lot of carbs to balance protein but this time around seems different. I just had 4 eggs for breakfast with 7 oz of grape juice and some toast and feeling pretty good, though I am prepared to get some carbs if I feel the hypoglycemia coming on. I am just sick of the up and down so I am doing a refeeding type diet with at least 80 grams of protein and about 200 grams of carbs instead of what I did for yrs eating whatever, which was like bagels with cream cheese, ice cream and such. While it kept my blood sugar up it didn't do awesome things for my health.
Oh that’s interesting! You know I have noticed I don’t do well with lower carbs around ovulation and the second half of the cycle. I’m doing about 70-80 grams protein and 150 grams carbs to lose weight. But my hypoglycaemic symptoms really are a problem. For instance, I had two small scrambled eggs on corn tortilla with coffee for brekkie. I was okay feeling wise, but hungry after two hours. Just had a cup of black tea with tiny amount of low fat cheese on the side. Now, I’m feeling dizzy and tired!
So baffling, maybe if I just keep pushing with the calorie deficit I’ll get used to it?

youngsinatra

Two of my older male relatives ate exactly what you described to a t: low fat, high fibre, v lean meat and not excessively, coffee every meal. They both got cardiovascular disease not that old which kept getting worse. One got a stroke in his sixties, the other a couple heart attacks.

In my paleo keto ish days, I obviously blamed all the carbs they were eating their whole lives.
Not arguing or rebutting, but it’s something that stands out to me.

Edit: I should also add, one of them ate plenty of ripe fruits all his life. And they both never ate processed food and barely ever fast food. One cooked with olive oil, the other with canola. But they both used tiny amounts of those oils in cooking because they are staunch believers in low fat.
Dr. Esselstyn is the hero of cardiovascular disease in my opinion. He thinks that one should avoid all oils and added sugars. He recommends a whole food plant based diet with a total fat intake of less than 10% of total calories.

I know someone who sticked to Esselstyn‘s recommendations, but still ate quite a bit of nuts and an avocado daily and used real minor amounts of oil otherwise. His cholesterol and LDL didn‘t drop significantly after 3 months. Then he dropped all nuts, seeds, avocado‘s and oils and after one month he got into the optimal cholesterol range that Dr. Esselstyn recommends. (TC <150; LDL <80)

mamakitty

I looked like Julia Roberts’ character, Shelby, in Steel Magnolias in the scene when she’s getting her hair done for her wedding. Scary times.
Haha I’ll have to google this character but I bet she is scary. (I avoid watching Roberts’ movies).
Anyway, this lasted for 6 months until I started on NDT.
Oh man, everything points to starting ndt but I have no access to it :(

@Blossom suggested using chicken necks since I cannot access ndt. I’m collecting chicken necks enough to make soup out of.
Now I only experience momentary adrenaline—heart palpitations, cold extremities and an urgency to pee—and intense hunger when my sugars crash.
Hmm, is that okay or should we look at these symptoms as a concern too?
I also have wild fluctuations in heat tolerance at any given moment, but mostly after eating (I get very hot then later I get cold lol)
I get urgency to pee often when I have not eaten in a while, like when my stomach is empty the water just goes through me :/

Waynish

If your online or offline identity is based on what you put into your mouth, then you're at least mentally ill... No surprise here.

mamakitty

Dr. Esselstyn is the hero of cardiovascular disease in my opinion. He thinks that one should avoid all oils and added sugars. He recommends a whole food plant based diet with a total fat intake of less than 10% of total calories.

I know someone who sticked to Esselstyn‘s recommendations, but still ate quite a bit of nuts and an avocado daily and used real minor amounts of oil otherwise. His cholesterol and LDL didn‘t drop significantly after 3 months. Then he dropped all nuts, seeds, avocado‘s and oils and after one month he got into the optimal cholesterol range that Dr. Esselstyn recommends. (TC <150; LDL <80)
Very interesting! Thank you I’m gonna check him out. But isn’t that low a fat diet not good in baby making years, for men and women? I get that his focus is on cvd, but it’s like fixing one problem with something so extreme that the other side of the balance suffers? I don’t know, just thinking out loud; in pursuit of cvd prevention, can people tank their fertility?

Edit: I just wanna add the guy who got the stroke and cvd did have a diet of 10% fat if not lesser. The one with heart attacks also had an insanely low fat diet on most days, but did have treats occasionally.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Oh that’s interesting! You know I have noticed I don’t do well with lower carbs around ovulation and the second half of the cycle. I’m doing about 70-80 grams protein and 150 grams carbs to lose weight. But my hypoglycaemic symptoms really are a problem. For instance, I had two small scrambled eggs on corn tortilla with coffee for brekkie. I was okay feeling wise, but hungry after two hours. Just had a cup of black tea with tiny amount of low fat cheese on the side. Now, I’m feeling dizzy and tired!
So baffling, maybe if I just keep pushing with the calorie deficit I’ll get used to it?
I think it sounds like you are right that you need more carbs to prevent the symptoms you are experiencing. I don't subscribe to the theory of calorie deficit to lose weight. For me, I am weight stable no matter what unless I have severe anxiety and lose my appetite, but I have serious complications from that. I don't know very many people that can do the calorie deficit for long without crashing their health. Especially when combined with bad symptoms. The body is asking for more food then when it gets it it will hold on to the weight. B vitamins along with eating more may be the better option since they boost sugar utilization it just takes fine tuning to prevent the lows.

Jennifer

Haha I’ll have to google this character but I bet she is scary. (I avoid watching Roberts’ movies).

Oh, okay. Just imagine Julia shaking from too much insulin.

Oh man, everything points to starting ndt but I have no access to it :(

@Blossom suggested using chicken necks since I cannot access ndt. I’m collecting chicken necks enough to make soup out of.

Not necessarily. Some are able to overcome it through diet and lifestyle changes alone, I just wasn’t one of them, unfortunately.

Yep, if you can find chicken necks with the thyroids still attached, that can work or even fish heads if you don’t find them too icky. lol I use TyroMax from IdeaLabs (haidut’s company).

Hmm, is that okay or should we look at these symptoms as a concern too?
I also have wild fluctuations in heat tolerance at any given moment, but mostly after eating (I get very hot then later I get cold lol)
I get urgency to pee often when I have not eaten in a while, like when my stomach is empty the water just goes through me :/

Those symptoms are a sign that there’s still a weakness, but I can’t increase my thyroid dose to address it because my cholesterol is too low to safety do so. My only option currently is to prevent the symptoms via a specific diet. If you consume mixed (all 3 macros) mini meals all throughout the day, do you experience the symptoms?

youngsinatra

Very interesting! Thank you I’m gonna check him out. But isn’t that low a fat diet not good in baby making years, for men and women? I get that his focus is on cvd, but it’s like fixing one problem with something so extreme that the other side of the balance suffers? I don’t know, just thinking out loud; in pursuit of cvd prevention, can people tank their fertility?

Edit: I just wanna add the guy who got the stroke and cvd did have a diet of 10% fat if not lesser. The one with heart attacks also had an insanely low fat diet on most days, but did have treats occasionally.
Well, many here don‘t believe in essential fatty acids (I do) but even on a low fat diet you can get enough EFAs. (n-6 and n-3)

Dr. Esselstyn includes a tsp of ground flax seeds for omega 3s + grains and legumes contain sufficient amounts of omega 6s.

I don‘t think that the body somehow has a requirement for dietary cholesterol or saturated fats.

mamakitty

I think it sounds like you are right that you need more carbs to prevent the symptoms you are experiencing. I don't subscribe to the theory of calorie deficit to lose weight. For me, I am weight stable no matter what unless I have severe anxiety and lose my appetite, but I have serious complications from that. I don't know very many people that can do the calorie deficit for long without crashing their health. Especially when combined with bad symptoms. The body is asking for more food then when it gets it it will hold on to the weight. B vitamins along with eating more may be the better option since they boost sugar utilization it just takes fine tuning to prevent the lows.
You know I was totally thinking that deficits are not good when I started metabolic diet earlier this year, after listening to a lot of podcasts by Peat inspired people. But now I’m reading a lot of threads here that are advocating for a deficit to lose weight. Even @Hans has started doing it. So I thought maybe it is the unfortunate truth and I have to go into deficits. Now I’m more confused.

Oh btw, I forgot to add earlier that coffee and black tea also give me a lot of hypoglycaemic symptoms. But not as bad as green tea or grapefruit. I haven’t touched those two in years because I hate feeling like I’m going to collapse any moment!

K

Kayaker

Yeah, it’s almost impossible to get the meds from online pharmacies because they stop shipments at the border. If the pharmacies ship to Canada to begin with.
You should keep trying. I don't know what online pharmacies you've tried, but it'll be a struggle to function without thyroid hormone. Hypoglycemia is often a result of hypothyroidism. Another solution is to buy thyroid glands from farmers and look into how to prepare and dose them. Much harder than just having orders seized by customs, but definitely better than nothing.

mamakitty

Oh, okay. Just imagine Julia shaking from too much insulin.
Hahaha that made me actually lol
Yep, if you can find chicken necks with the thyroids still attached, that can work or even fish heads if you don’t find them too icky. lol I use TyroMax from IdeaLabs (haidut’s company).
Unfortunately, I cannot stand fish heads stuff. I’m very squeamish and I find the smell unbearable.
I wonder if I can get tyromax delivered to Canada. On Roddy’s show once, haidut replied to someone that they can order but there will probably be delays and no guarantees unlike in USA.

If you consume mixed (all 3 macros) mini meals all throughout the day, do you experience the symptoms?
No, actually I don’t feel bad at all if I have mini meals consisting all macros through out the day.
Although, the problem with eating smaller more frequent meals is I’m hungry (sometimes hungrier) if I eat as opposed to if I don’t eat. And I feel hungry all day till dinner which is a bigger meal. I mean if I eat when I wake up, I’ll get hungry again soon and become hypoglycaemic. Whereas, if I delay my breakfast I will not be hypoglycaemic and hunger fades after a while. This has been the case since my teens. But following the metabolic advice I started eating within half an hour of waking up, but it makes me hungry again, so I’ hungry every 2-3 hours instead of my normal 5-6 hours. But if I ever cheat and eat disgusting fast food, I don’t get hungry for 5-6 hours, easy.

But as I was explaining to sugarbabe right now (above), I was changing my strategy to lose weight based on many threads here. A lot of people are saying eating mini meals every few hours is bad because it doesn’t give your insulin a rest. It’s all different strategies, it seems.

Do you recommend eating mini meals and frequently? Can I lose weight or not this way?

mamakitty

Well, many here don‘t believe in essential fatty acids (I do) but even on a low fat diet you can get enough EFAs. (n-6 and n-3)

Dr. Esselstyn includes a tsp of ground flax seeds for omega 3s + grains and legumes contain sufficient amounts of omega 6s.

I don‘t think that the body somehow has a requirement for dietary cholesterol or saturated fats.
I see! Where do i find dr Esselstyn? Is he on YouTube?
I thought there was a need for some saturated fat to aid digestion as well as improve satiety. And many say it’s important for fertility as well as cognitive functioning.

youngsinatra

I see! Where do i find dr Esselstyn? Is he on YouTube?
I thought there was a need for some saturated fat to aid digestion as well as improve satiety. And many say it’s important for fertility as well as cognitive functioning.
Yes you can find a lot of videos (presentations, interviews..) of him on YouTube. He also has a few scientific papers on the the reversal of cardiovascular disease.

Jennifer

No, actually I don’t feel bad at all if I have mini meals consisting all macros through out the day.
Although, the problem with eating smaller more frequent meals is I’m hungry (sometimes hungrier) if I eat as opposed to if I don’t eat. And I feel hungry all day till dinner which is a bigger meal. I mean if I eat when I wake up, I’ll get hungry again soon and become hypoglycaemic. Whereas, if I delay my breakfast I will not be hypoglycaemic and hunger fades after a while. This has been the case since my teens. But following the metabolic advice I started eating within half an hour of waking up, but it makes me hungry again, so I’ hungry every 2-3 hours instead of my normal 5-6 hours. But if I ever cheat and eat disgusting fast food, I don’t get hungry for 5-6 hours, easy.

But as I was explaining to sugarbabe right now (above), I was changing my strategy to lose weight based on many threads here. A lot of people are saying eating mini meals every few hours is bad because it doesn’t give your insulin a rest. It’s all different strategies, it seems.

Do you recommend eating mini meals and frequently? Can I lose weight or not this way?

My recommendation would be to personalize a diet to fit your particular needs so consuming the foods that keep your blood sugar stable and make you feel your best. I think the healthiest way to lose weight is through good thyroid function and not elevated catabolic stress hormones that can result from having too large an energy deficit (via food and/or exercise). Even though I’m not a fan of force-feeding to hit a certain caloric minimum and can’t know for certain what every woman’s daily caloric requirement is, I’ve seen some calorie recommendations for women in the “health” scene that I find concerning. I’m a tiny person and need a minimum of 2500 calories daily to maintain my health, but I’ve seen recommendations for as little as 1200 calories a day. Sure, the women often lose weight—again, catabolic stress hormones will do that—but in terms of fertility, I don’t know how any woman of childbearing age continues to menstruate on so few calories long-term, and I say long-term because if losing weight through a massive energy deficit, enough to trigger stress hormones, upping calories to healthy amounts and/or reducing exercise more often than not just leads to the weight returning because the cause was never addressed, and even potentially made worse.

If you find fast food keeps you satisfied for 5–6 hours, I’m wondering if it’s due to consuming enough calories to meet your needs whereas, you’re not getting as many calories when you do frequent mini meals? Or maybe the composition of the fast foods’ macros is more balanced for your body so it’s not triggering hypoglycemic hunger? Have you trialed different protein and carb sources to see if certain ones keep your sugars stable more than others? Also, have you played around with your carbs to protein ratio?

InChristAlone

You know I was totally thinking that deficits are not good when I started metabolic diet earlier this year, after listening to a lot of podcasts by Peat inspired people. But now I’m reading a lot of threads here that are advocating for a deficit to lose weight. Even @Hans has started doing it. So I thought maybe it is the unfortunate truth and I have to go into deficits. Now I’m more confused.

Oh btw, I forgot to add earlier that coffee and black tea also give me a lot of hypoglycaemic symptoms. But not as bad as green tea or grapefruit. I haven’t touched those two in years because I hate feeling like I’m going to collapse any moment!
I think it depends what your calories and macros were before you started trying to lose weight. Obviously if someone is eating a quart of haagen dazs a day then maybe going lower fat would help, but if you were eating a healthy diet just not losing weight then I don't think it's the calories.
edited to add, I agree with what Jennifer wrote.

Back
Top Bottom