Wishing this man the best but what can we learn from looking at his markers?

mamakitty

My recommendation would be to personalize a diet to fit your particular needs so consuming the foods that keep your blood sugar stable and make you feel your best. I think the healthiest way to lose weight is through good thyroid function and not elevated catabolic stress hormones that can result from having too large an energy deficit (via food and/or exercise). Even though I’m not a fan of force-feeding to hit a certain caloric minimum and can’t know for certain what every woman’s daily caloric requirement is, I’ve seen some calorie recommendations for women in the “health” scene that I find concerning. I’m a tiny person and need a minimum of 2500 calories daily to maintain my health, but I’ve seen recommendations for as little as 1200 calories a day. Sure, the women often lose weight—again, catabolic stress hormones will do that—but in terms of fertility, I don’t know how any woman of childbearing age continues to menstruate on so few calories long-term, and I say long-term because if losing weight through a massive energy deficit, enough to trigger stress hormones, upping calories to healthy amounts and/or reducing exercise more often than not just leads to the weight returning because the cause was never addressed, and even potentially made worse.

If you find fast food keeps you satisfied for 5–6 hours, I’m wondering if it’s due to consuming enough calories to meet your needs whereas, you’re not getting as many calories when you do frequent mini meals? Or maybe the composition of the fast foods’ macros is more balanced for your body so it’s not triggering hypoglycemic hunger? Have you trialed different protein and carb sources to see if certain ones keep your sugars stable more than others? Also, have you played around with your carbs to protein ratio?
You know what, I totally agree with you. I’m so shocked at certain health gurus recommending 1200 calories to women. Some people say, if you are already fat you can be just fine on 1200. I tried doing it for a week, I felt like I was collapsing. Zero energy, constant headache and peeing.
Excellent points, really. Thank you.

Regarding the questions you have raised, you did make me think and analyse the food intake carefully. Maybe you are right the fast food have better macro composition. They do seem to have more carbs than I eat at home. But it’s more likely it’s the higher calories that keep me satiated for long. It’s not the same with junk food, mind you. If I ever by mistake have chips or cookies from the store, I’ll be hungry right away. Hmm, maybe you’re on to something with the macro balance.
I have tried different protein carbs ratios, yes, but it’s usually the same result. I have not tried different protein carbs sources though. I eat all animal food and dairy for protein (low fat) and fresh fruits, pomegranate juice, potatoes, butternut squash, white rice, nix corn tortillas and occasional sourdough for carbs. I also eat side vegetables sometimes.

You raised so many valid points, I’ll start experimenting with ratios and sources after Christmas.

mamakitty

I think it depends what your calories and macros were before you started trying to lose weight. Obviously if someone is eating a quart of haagen dazs a day then maybe going lower fat would help, but if you were eating a healthy diet just not losing weight then I don't think it's the calories.
edited to add, I agree with what Jennifer wrote.
Thank you so much!
I don’t eat ice cream now, I stopped three months ago. Yeah, I’m taking Jennifer’s advice on board.

K

Kayaker

You know what, I totally agree with you. I’m so shocked at certain health gurus recommending 1200 calories to women. Some people say, if you are already fat you can be just fine on 1200. I tried doing it for a week, I felt like I was collapsing. Zero energy, constant headache and peeing.
Sounds like low blood volume induced by hypometabolism. I notice when I drink skim milk alone, I pee a lot and quickly become dehydrated again. Calories are needed to retain fluid.

HighT

that can work or even fish heads if you don’t find them too icky.
Wow, thank you for this insight. I was thinking for chicken and beef glands where to find them, but it's never came to my mind about fish. I am eating fish almost every week and throw the heads to my dog, So I know animal glands are hard to dose but how much fish heads compare to a chicken gland. I'm eating mostly trout and sometimes small mackerels. Any ideas about the dosage ? I guess 5-10 heads are safe, right?

rayban

Even sourdough? In my country that's usually the only bread with no oil added.
There is a little bit of fat (which is mostly unsaturated) even in white flour so I don't think you will ever find a zero PUFA bread.
Isn't eating some PUFA irrelevant? i like some bread.

Jennifer

Excellent points, really. Thank you.

Regarding the questions you have raised, you did make me think and analyse the food intake carefully. Maybe you are right the fast food have better macro composition. They do seem to have more carbs than I eat at home. But it’s more likely it’s the higher calories that keep me satiated for long. It’s not the same with junk food, mind you. If I ever by mistake have chips or cookies from the store, I’ll be hungry right away. Hmm, maybe you’re on to something with the macro balance.
I have tried different protein carbs ratios, yes, but it’s usually the same result. I have not tried different protein carbs sources though. I eat all animal food and dairy for protein (low fat) and fresh fruits, pomegranate juice, potatoes, butternut squash, white rice, nix corn tortillas and occasional sourdough for carbs. I also eat side vegetables sometimes.

You raised so many valid points, I’ll start experimenting with ratios and sources after Christmas.

You’re welcome. :) That makes me think of what is told to patients on this show my mum watches called My 600-lb Life. I can’t watch that show, the medical and dietary advice that is given is so dangerous, IMO, and though I don’t believe it’s intended to be, it seems cruel to me the starvation diet they’re put on. I’m really sorry to hear you suffered from taking similar advice. I hope 2022 is kind to you and you’re able to discern which foods are triggering your hypoglycemia. Keep us posted on how it goes?

Wow, thank you for this insight. I was thinking for chicken and beef glands where to find them, but it's never came to my mind about fish. I am eating fish almost every week and throw the heads to my dog, So I know animal glands are hard to dose but how much fish heads compare to a chicken gland. I'm eating mostly trout and sometimes small mackerels. Any ideas about the dosage ? I guess 5-10 heads are safe, right?

My pleasure. :) I was generalizing when I mentioned fish heads as a source but based on the information I’ve come across, it’s a bit complicated:

Most teleost species present a diffuse gland with some cases of compact thyroid or gathered lobes in some sub-groups (Appendix I). One of the strangest thyroidian patterns is the scattering of ectopic thyroidian follicles from the branchial region to large blood vessels, the cephalic kidney and the choroid region (Fig. 4) that means far away from the ventral aortic region (Fournie et al., 2005).

The anatomy of the thyroid gland among "fishes": Phylogenetic implications for the Vertebrata (PDF Download Available).

I wish I had a less generic answer than this, but maybe make a broth out of whole fish and let your temps, pulse and how you feel in general dictate how much to have? If this helps, here’s the basic broth recipe I’ve used (with a few “Peaty” tweaks):

Back
Top Bottom